Thread: PSU (and memory?) for Crossfire rig

Thanks

PSU (and memory?) for Crossfire rig

So the time has come to build a new machine. I am intending to go Crossfire, but this may change by the time it has finally hit the stores. However, I thought it would be a good time to start buying odd bits, such as memory and PSU.

I have already shortlisted the Corsair Twin-XL PC3200XLPRO 2x512, although I am maybe thinking 2gb but I will have to see how this affects my budget. Any other suggestions welcome I don't intend on overclocking, so I was looking for pure power out of the box, I hear the Patriot XBLK Extreme Bandwidth modules are supposed to be good.

What I am needing help deciding on is a new power supply, last time I checked the Tagan TG480-U01 was reigning supreme, is this still the case? Suggestions required here!

Many thanks

Tobeman

Thanks
    Not sure on the specs for the Crossfire, but if you're running dual cards, you'll need a meaty power supply. Is 480 enough? I've read that my 480W Thermaltake Purepower isn't necessarily enough to run an SLi system.
    Don't take my word for it, but might be worth a check.

Thanks
    Remember that brand is probably the most important factor. If you get a decent brand, I would imagine you could probably use a 400W PSU with SLI without any problems (don't take my word for it!). I went for the Tagan 480W PSU - my computer probably needs nowhere near that, but, since it has PCI Express connectors and is BTX compatible, it should last for quite some time.
    Last edited by mike_w; 23-07-2005 at 08:46 PM.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    The Tagan can easily handle SLi as far as I'm aware, 28A on 12v and 3.3v rail as far as I'm aware which is enough. 48A on 5v rail.

However I heard Crossfire needed something a bit meatier, I think it was 480w *minimum*.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    Remember that brand is probably the most important factor. If you get a decent brand, I would imagine you could probably get use a 400W PSU with SLI without any problems (don't take my word for it!). I went for the Tagan 480W PSU - my computer probably needs nowhere near that, but, since it has PCI Express connectors and is BTX compatible, it should last for quite some time.
    Trying to run a sli system from a 400w psu is just stupid. Its not as if a decent psu is expensive and if youve got the money for sli then that doesnt matter either!
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 23-07-2005 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    We appear to be straying off topic from Crossfire to SLi, which tbh no-one really wants with Crossfire around the corner, because we all know ATi >nVid.. but thats for another topic!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobeman
    We appear to be straying off topic from Crossfire to SLi, which tbh no-one really wants with Crossfire around the corner, because we all know ATi >nVid.. but thats for another topic!
    Well, I would have thought the power requirements for SLI and Crossfire would be pretty similar - if anything, I would expect the requirements for Crossfire to be lower since, if I remember correctly, ATi cards generally use less power than the nVidia equivalents.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thread Information