Thread: AMD dual core and FX processors

Thanks

AMD dual core and FX processors

sorry if this has already been brought up

im very purplexed though.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...9&GroupID=1010
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...7&GroupID=1008

a few questions:
    is the only thing special about the FX the 1mb cache? if it is.. then why is a dual core processor also with 1mb cache that is clocked 400mhz less than the FX cost about £200 less? do the two cores share the cache? is this why the fx's cache is more 'costly'?

also, why is the mid-range of the dual core processors the only one with 1mb cache? is it just because microdirect might be retarded?

and a little bit about how the two work, does the dual core/big cache create a bigger demand for RAM and make higher clocked RAM much much more useful? (something i think i read somewhere)
    Last edited by Akill; 24-07-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Slightly Trigger Happy
    Thanks
    the FX is more expensive as it has unlocked multipliers rather than the semi-unlocked ones of the standard Athlon 64's. This is the only difference really. the other may be that the cores are hand picked to be the best when they are made, means better overclocking opportunity.

The dual cores don't really need more ram bandwidth as they are both fed from one memory controller and therfoe can only use as much as the standard Athlon
    Last edited by unrealuniverse; 24-07-2005 at 07:35 PM.
    your computer is similar to a fridge in that if it cannot keep a beer cold then it sucks

Thanks
    ok another weird thing,

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...10&GroupID=981

the san diego have 1mb cache also.. and this one is only clocked 200 mhz less, yet will save u £250. I suppose its still because the multipliers r unlocked on the FX's, but im amazed at the price differance

if i wanted a powerful processor for gaming id be better off saving the £250 and going with a san diego processor right?
    Last edited by Akill; 24-07-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    I expet that the FX would be faster, but if i was you i'd save my £250.

Slightly Trigger Happy
    Thanks
    microdirect aren't the only ones that have this pricing. the only thing i can think of is that they are in shorter supply and therfore command a premium?!?
    your computer is similar to a fridge in that if it cannot keep a beer cold then it sucks

Thanks
    yea, but i used MD to point it out because every company will probably have the same type of pricing, one place might do the processors less but most probably by the same percentage, i was going to buy a 3200 venice core for my new computer but i think i might try and get a san diego one now

does anyone know if the san diego cores are as overclockable as the venice cores? if they are i would drool at the potential clock rate

Thread Information