Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: watercooling

Thanks

watercooling

im planning to add watercooling to my pc as the noise is bad and was thinking of using a closed loop cpu cooler untill i can afford a new graphics card and a zlaman gpu cooler would the stuff listed below work ?? the radiator would be mounted with 3 or 6 120mm fans at low rpm
    is watercooling much quiter and is it worth the money ??
    any sujestions on other products or methords

14111 Alphacool NexXxos Extreme III No Connectors 1
    £28.21 £28.21
    13103 Alphacool AP700 Centrifugal pump 12V No Connectors 1
    £37.75 £37.75
    ZMWB2 Zalman ZM-WB2 Gold CPU BLock 1
    £26.20 £26.20
    16402 Screw connector AG 1/4'' on 10/8mm 10
    £1.10 £11.00
    16111 Hose Pur 10/8mm high transparent 1m 3
    £1.63 £4.89
    Subtotal £108.05
    Shipping (City Link Delivery Mon-Fri ) £5.96
    VAT £19.97
    Total £133.98

thanks mike

Thanks
    The world of whater cooling is something very scary to me, and seen as i'll end up heling mike put it togethter any advie we could get now would be apritiated. The idear above was for a closed circit system, has any one had bad experences with them over ones with resivwires?

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    ...don't do it drunk would be a start.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    lol any sujjestions about the actualy system ?

Thanks
    Don't run the pump dry...

What CPU and case are you using, and what kind of overclocking?

Thanks
    What size case is it going in?

Heres my suggestions from over-clock

Build a Kit (Reference #71)
    CPU Block - Choose CPU Block (inc pair of hoseclips & Y Splitter if RBX or PolarFlo): A64 TDX (Reference #557)
    GPU Block - Choose GPU Block (inc pair of hoseclips): Maze 4 Acetal Top Model (Reference #40)
    Chipset Block - Choose Chipset Block (inc pair of hoseclips): No Chipset Block
    Reservoir - Choose Reservoir (inc pair of hoseclips): No Reservoir
    Pump - Choose Pump (inc pair of hoseclips & relevant barbs): 2x CSPMAG & Bracket & Fittings (Reference #415)
    Pump Casing (for DD12-D4 Only) - Choose Pump Casing (for DD12-D4 Only): No Casing (Stock D4)
    Relay - Choose Relay: No Relay
    Radiator - Choose Radiator (inc pair of hoseclips): ThermoChill PA160 (Reference #388)
    Tubing - Choose Tubing: DangerDen Clearflex Tubing (Reference #360)
    Additive - Choose Additive: No Additive
    Add UV Dye - Choose UV Dye Color: No Dye
    Compound - Choose Compound: Arctic Silver 5 (Reference #55)
    Selection of Single Fans - Add Single Fan & Guard: 1x Panaflo 120mm (Reference #457)
    Case - Choose Your Case: No Case Req'd

Price: (£197.48 exc VAT) £235.99 Including VAT - at 17.5% and PAYPAL Surcharge - at 2%
    Remember, PAYPAL surcharges can be REMOVED in the checkout if paying by regular payment methods!!

That will be silent and perform extremely well. The radiator was designed by Cathar (of storm and little river fame) and who is thee best designer of watercooling kit. Its been designed to be silent with a single 120mm fan and will perform to the equivilant of a Thermochill 120.2 with 2 YSTech 120mm fans on.

TDX is best performing block out there (apart from Cathars blocks) and the dual pumps can be powered off a fan controller.

I used to run watercooling and it was quiet and it was very good for overclocking. It depends where your priorities lie. It may be better for you to invest in something like an Akasa eclipse with quiet panaflo fans, XP90c with panaflo fans and sound deadening material
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Thanks
    Okay the case is a big chiftake one, i'll get mike to post the model when he gets back from gun club. THe CPU is currently an xp2700+q but an x2 might be on the way. Silence is important, but not as much as eficentcy. And keeping the cost down is a big isseu for ppl like us. Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll get ifyouknow me to post later.

Thanks
    its a cheiftec tx-01 the really big one in balck with single psu

what site was that on firelord

its alot more than i really wanted to pay but i could probally strech to that unless u have and cheaper options

thanks for the suggestions

Thanks
    My suggestions:

Note - lots of shops(OCUK, CUK, CC, O/C), but including postage, it should work out cheaper anyway

Pump
    C-Systems CSP-MAG here
    Not sure if it comes with fittings - depending on version either:
    1/4 NPT, G 1/4, or 9/16-18

res
    Danger Den Res here

rad
    XSPC 120.3 rad here
    3x fans here

cpu block
    For CPU if you wait a while you can get a swiftech storm, dunno price.
    TDX is probably next best choice.
    DangerDen TDX (1/2") - A64 s754/939/940
    or
    1/2" TDX Athlon64

gpu block
    Maze4 acetal low profile gpu block
    here
    here or here
    Was £50 last month

OR
    Silverprop Cyclone Fusion HL
    from here

Other thing youd need
    Tubing here - sold per meter for the price that most sell per foot. 2meters should do.

Hoseclips here (only the top ones!). Atleast 5 packets so you dont run out.

Fittings. Everything has fittings with it.

PTFE tape - shouldnt be needed, as all fittings are parrelell thread )seals with oring) or pre-sealed. here
    or here
    or here

Elbows here - only shop selling 1/2" ones!. Copper one are better + cheaper but require soldering so these are best.

None of those components will cause corrosion, so you dont need any aditives except to stop algy. 10-20% antifreeze is probably best for that (a lot cheaper and more effective than the normal aditives people use at stopping algy)

Which in total should be around 183.8 + shipping (4 shops * max £5) = £209.

That will be silent and perform extremely well. The radiator was designed by Cathar (of storm and little river fame) and who is thee best designer of watercooling kit. Its been designed to be silent with a single 120mm fan and will perform to the equivilant of a Thermochill 120.2 with 2 YSTech 120mm fans on.
    Its a good rad but I still think a 120.3 will be quieter and better performance, and cheaper. Only advantage is size.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 16-07-2005 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback keep it comming,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    My suggestions:
    Its a good rad but I still think a 120.3 will be quieter and better performance, and cheaper. Only advantage is size.
    The 120.3 rad has a much denser FPI than the PA160 and that means that you need higher CFM fans to penetrate the core thus making it noiser due to the fact the air has to penetrate the core and the faster cfm fans
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firelord
    The 120.3 rad has a much denser FPI than the PA160 and that means that you need higher CFM fans to penetrate the core thus making it noiser due to the fact the air has to penetrate the core and the faster cfm fans
    Its dependant on the rad.

The XSPC afaik has a lowish FPI (which in the devlopement thread for PA160, Im sure someone said it is 14fpi, equal to the PA160) but then its dependant on each rad.

The PA160 gets the most out of a 120mm fan as possible in low niose conditions, I would agree with that.

Mine is set up in a very similar way - two heatercores on top of each other but both with very low FPI. My fan is quite powerfull (being 172mm big) whilst still very quiet. I could not get more performance out of this fan with any other rad, and it is quiet enough for my liking.

BUT having 3 fans can be a lot quieter - 3dB increase per fan vs much higher increases to double the airflow of a single fan. This would allow you to run the fans slower, maybe at 6v each, compared to equal performance of the same fan at 12v on a PA160.

Some 120.3 rads will be worse, but that is due to the high FPI and not the size of the rad itself.

Thanks
    cool
    so is a 120.3 more effective at cooling as proformance is more priority than noise
    im quite happy aabout the radiator but its the other stuff i need advice about

what pumps would u recommend

and how would u set it up

would you use closed systems

are radiators a good idea or not

thanks for ur help keep it comming guys

Thanks
    Maze 4 Acetal
    Swifty 6002
    Aquaxtreme 50Z
    Dual heatercore/120.2/or the new smaller rads?
    1/2" Tygon

I had this setup on my 754 system, it was bad ass.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippledence
    cool
    so is a 120.3 more effective at cooling as proformance is more priority than noise
    im quite happy aabout the radiator but its the other stuff i need advice about

what pumps would u recommend

and how would u set it up

would you use closed systems

are radiators a good idea or not

thanks for ur help keep it comming guys
    Theres a lot of ting in a rad that affect performance. There are some very good 120.3's and some very bad performers.

I was quite impressed with the XSPC 120.3 I set up recently, apart from one thing - which is the 1/4" BSP threads were not tapped properly (So I had to retap mine). I think this was just a one-off though (although quite major if I did not have a 1/4" BSP tap waiting) and others should not have the problem.
    I would currently recommend the XSC 120.3 over anything else simply becuase of its price and performance, aswell as quality.

As for pump, see my post above. The c-systems seems to be capable of more than enough pressure for a two block system and can be doubled up. Best of all it is cheaper than the D4/5 and DDC and aquaextreme whilst also suppost to be reliable (unlike the DDC).

What do you mean by closed system? - I would always run a sytem sealed and no open res. I would always have a res becuase it is much easyer to fill etc.. and can help performance.

Radiator are always a good idea, in some form or another, you will always have to disipate the heat from the water. Without one the temperature would rise quite quickly.

Thanks
    cool so u would recommend using a resivour

how effective are the zalman heat blocks

where would be the best place to mount it in the case

i was thinking about cutting 3 120mm fan holes in the top and mounting it there

any other ideas ??

cheers mike

Thread Information