Thread: More Asus a7v8x-x trouble

Thanks

More Asus a7v8x-x trouble

hi, i posted last week at hom my 1800+xp was crahing when running at that speed...until i put thermal compound on it...then it ran trouble free. NOw, i have just put a athlon 2600+xp processor in there, in the bios it is running at 2083MHz at a CPU External of 166/33. good i though, loaded windows, after about 5 minutes, it turned itself off, then wouldnt load windos again until i set the cpu speed to manual, and the cpu external to 163/33, now it seems to work, the temp is constant at 47, but does anyone got any ideas please.....

Banned
    Thanks
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?threadid=4760

In your other thread you state you have 3 sticks of RAM, all PC2100 (if I got it right). As it's best to keep RAM synced to FSB (1:1, 3:3 not AUTO/SPD) PC2100 is designed for 266FSB not the 333FSB it seems you are running (rem 333FSB is 2x166 due to DDR). Another factor is having all 3 slots filled, it can often limit the maximum FSB speed. I'd imagine these are your problems. Try using 2 sticks and using high multiplier with 266FSB (RAM synced) in order to keep PC2100 where it should be. With PC3200 & PC2700 being so cheap now it would make sense to upgrade.

EDIT: Forgot you have a7v8x-x KT400 too, for some reason thought it was nForce2. Doesn't matter all that much except there may be a small gain in running the RAM faster than the FSB but still better to keep sync until you get things stable. Of course KT400 use dividers so avoid strange FSB speeds (stay close to 266 or 333) and of course you won't want to try 400FSB on it.
    Last edited by Austin; 07-10-2003 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Im with Austin (again)...Im SURE you said you had PC2100 which is 133DDR (ie 266)

you NEED PC2700 which is 166 DDR (ie 333)

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

ram

nice one, will upgrade the ram now, thanks for your help. thought it wasnt the cpu, because the temprature is stead on 47 degrees....will order some of that ram now, cheers.

Thanks

done

just bought 512mb of ddr 2700, all i can afford at the moment....rally hope that helps.

whe you refer to the ram speed is that the cpu external, cause that had red letters saying ram must be 333 or higher, now i had a real look at it? for the time being i have set this to 133/33....just until my ram arrives.

Thanks

Thumbs up see what you mean now

i just looked in my bios, when my cpu is set at 2083, 166/33, then the meory frequency is set on auto, and when i try to change it, it only gives me a 333mhz option, so my 2100 ram is only 2666 hence why it doesnt work, okay.

I suppose if i actually noticed the big red letters "PLEASER MAKE SURE DRAM SPEED IS SET TO 333 OR HIGHER"..... i could have found that out myself.......it's been one of those days.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mobo manus don't make these things anywhere clear enough, and very often the English translation leaves a lot to be desired. As an example my Abit NF7-S v2.0 (arguably the best SktA mobo) in the BIOS states ...

Integrated Peripherals: EXT-P2P's Discard Time (1ms, 30us, 9.6us, 3.8us).

NOTE: "Set to 30us to fix Sil3112 SATA Controller will crush SATA HD"

(IIRC) Basically lower is faster but the recomendation is that you leave it set to the second slowest setting of 30us as this is deemed the safest (ie trouble-free) setting ... although it seems most people need to set the slowest speed (1ms) in order for trouble-free operation.

Thanks

Brilliant

thanks boys, ram seems to have done it, thanks all for your help.

Thread Information