Thread: Next purchase..

Thanks

Next purchase..

Im slowly, bit by bit, buying the parts for my next machine/big upgrade. So far, I have the RAM

Now because my budget is tight and I'll be buying bits on and off probably till the end of the year, im holding back on buying bits like graphics cards and processors and no doubt the prices will change, or they'll get replaced. I am deciding what to buy next, do you think PSU would be a good choice? I am going to keep my current case (Coolermaster Wavemaster in Silver), I think, its not a great case but it does the job and still looks nice, and will just be adding to my expenses!

I do my upgrades every 3 or so years and they are fairly major. I will be probably looking at SLI but with a single 7800 (for the time being, but lets see what the power of 3 has to bring!) I intend to buy a new monitor last, the 7800 will easily cope with 1280x1024, and I'm still in love with my NEC 1760NX and don't want to demote it to secondary! I won't be buying a new HDD or soundcard as they are good enough, I may be persuaded with some more good reviews of the latest Samsung Spinpoint though

So, what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking PSU is a good idea but I'm open to suggestions, hence me writing this thread!

Cheers,

Tobe

Thanks
    PSU and some peripherals are the best idea, things like mice and keyboards are not likely to change value soon.

As for when you decide to get your CPU, make sure its an X2
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    Ah, my Logitech Cordless Desktop MX is really getting battered now. I'm fed up of wireless too My trusty Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 Digitals still sound great, I'm just getting bored of them However I will wait till I move room to bother wiring in new speakers, these will suffice for the moment

I really like the look of the Razer Diamondback Plasma 1600dpi Gaming Mouse Limited Ed., cos its blue However, any suggestions on a wired keyboard? The Saitek PZ30AU Eclipse would compliment it Thanks ^_^

Looks like keyboard, mouse, and PSU, any other suggestions guys?

Edit: I retract my statement about the Razer mouse..

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...05_172426.html

Last edited by Tobeman; 07-08-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    i use the Z board for gaming and typing and i've never had a problem. Spacing is similar to Logi boards and the feedback is similar to M$ - best of both worlds.

The Logi Mx 510 or 518 would be the mouse of choice for anyone and make sure you couple it with a decent mat.

a good PSU will remain a good PSU (at least in comparison) for at least a year and you'll only see a tenner knocked off the price within 9 months, if that. Try Tagan there always good.

Also about the 7800, it will blow your mind. I've had a 6600GT, a 6800 Ultra and now the 7800 GTX - amazing cards all of them, but the 7800 takes the biscuit, quiet, fast and a great overclocker

good luck with the build.

Thanks
    Wait for the Optimus keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    For PSUs I think now is the time to get one, they'll all be 24pin with a 24 to 20pin convertor now so a mobo upgrade isn't going to worry you. To your list of peripherals you could add a new optical drive, dual layer DVD burners are insanely cheap so they can't drop much further. Or maybe a new sound card?

BTW I know what you mean about the 1760NX, I have two of them, and even though I've got a 23" display I still can't stand to sell/replace them.

Thanks
    Unless something is about to fail you should just save your money until you are ready to upgrade everything. Things always get cheaper with time as new technologies come on the scene. It simply makes no sense to buy the pieces bit by bit unless the hardware you have now is not working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Unless something is about to fail you should just save your money until you are ready to upgrade everything. Things always get cheaper with time as new technologies come on the scene. It simply makes no sense to buy the pieces bit by bit unless the hardware you have now is not working.
    I'd disagree with the first bit/ Saving for a PC is hard especially if you want a nice one. I cant save to save (sorry) my life and as such buying a few bits here and there is a good idea. It also gives you a better idea of what you want to do with the rig. colour schemes/modding etc. I took my Tagan before I got the rig together, cut the Sata cables off and braided the whole thing - took my time and now it looks nice. I agree that kit is cheaper if you wait, but sometimes its worth getting something now and playing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theuncharmed
    I'd disagree with the first bit/ Saving for a PC is hard especially if you want a nice one. I cant save to save (sorry) my life and as such buying a few bits here and there is a good idea. It also gives you a better idea of what you want to do with the rig. colour schemes/modding etc. I took my Tagan before I got the rig together, cut the Sata cables off and braided the whole thing - took my time and now it looks nice. I agree that kit is cheaper if you wait, but sometimes its worth getting something now and playing.
    That's fine, but you will not have as good of a system and you will likely pay much more for it in the end. The penalty for your lack of discipline.

Thanks
    That's fine, but you will not have as good of a system and you will likely pay much more for it in the end. The penalty for your lack of discipline.
    This idea works up to a point but a progressive upgrade strategy lets you do one thing you can't with an all-at-once buy, take advantage of killer deals. Try buying an Athlon64 3800+ for 180£ now, let alone about 5 months ago when I got it for that price, were they over 300£ then? I've picked up HDDs at prices only seen 3~6 months latter, Antec NeoPower for 60£ & it didn't seem like a killer at the time but I picked up a dual DVI X800 XL for 225£ looking at a price comparison site the cheapest obvious dual DVI is 220£ 3 months on. That little lot has made this system by far the best value system I've put together.

Thanks
    this will be fine:

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-030-CS)
    from here

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks
    Well my last purchase was a couple of genelec speakers worth 500 pounds for only 200!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theuncharmed
    i use the Z board for gaming and typing and i've never had a problem. Spacing is similar to Logi boards and the feedback is similar to M$ - best of both worlds.

The Logi Mx 510 or 518 would be the mouse of choice for anyone and make sure you couple it with a decent mat.

a good PSU will remain a good PSU (at least in comparison) for at least a year and you'll only see a tenner knocked off the price within 9 months, if that. Try Tagan there always good.

Also about the 7800, it will blow your mind. I've had a 6600GT, a 6800 Ultra and now the 7800 GTX - amazing cards all of them, but the 7800 takes the biscuit, quiet, fast and a great overclocker

good luck with the build.
    They look like a pain in the ass to use, but without really using one I guess I couldn't comment!

I'm stuck between going for the funky (albeit universal, damn you southpaws ) Razer Diamondback or one of those mice you mentioned, are there any real world differences between the two?

I have my eye on a Tagan 2Force 580w already

And in response to your gfx card archive, you upgrade too often

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    Wait for the Optimus keyboard
    If you pay for it

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNewt
    For PSUs I think now is the time to get one, they'll all be 24pin with a 24 to 20pin convertor now so a mobo upgrade isn't going to worry you. To your list of peripherals you could add a new optical drive, dual layer DVD burners are insanely cheap so they can't drop much further. Or maybe a new sound card?

BTW I know what you mean about the 1760NX, I have two of them, and even though I've got a 23" display I still can't stand to sell/replace them.
    I'll keep my DVD-ROM, nothing wrong with that A dual-layer burner would be nice, my laptop has one, except I haven't found a dual-layer use yet.. maybe I should backup more DVDs I have an Audigy 2 ZS so I think I'll keep it for the time being

I might have a friend interested in my monitor

If I wait, Crossfire will dawn upon me and then I'll be in even more of a pickle

Quote Originally Posted by webbyman
    this will be fine:

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-030-CS)
    from here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobeman
    So far, I have the RAM

Thread Information