Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX1000. A little advice?

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks

MX1000. A little advice?

Hey there,

Last week I went for a dive in the deep end. I got myself a MX1000 mouse and paired it up with a nice black ICEMAT mouse mat. I can certainly vouch for this match made in heaven.

The set-up is brilliant, the mouse came pre-charged so I wanted to run it dry to ensure that, at least the first time that I charge it, it receives a full recharge. What I was curious to though is the expected battery life though. The light went red a few hours ago, I am curious as to how long I have left until the battery is empty... If anyone knows?

My second question is about the mouse mat, or more so the padsurfer's™. My understanding is that these are wearable parts. How long do they last? Are we talking months or years? I was curious as I was wondering whether or not to stock up on some new ones for the future. I was also curious as to the worth of trying to get a hold of the ones which appear to be shaped specifically for logitech mice. Is there any worth to these? Or am I best with just getting the standard strip and cutting them myself?

If anyone could help me out with any of these questions, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks.

Thanks
    For the MX1000 Battery life, after a full overnight charge I get about a days full use, 3-4 partial out of it.

The pad surfers last for a bit, they tended to get a lot of dust caught under the edges if you moved them a lot. Replaced mine very few months or so untill I decided that with the MX1000, a hard mousemat from Tchibo was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    You can use the a full charge in a day?! What the heck are you doing to that poor mouse?!

I was told to expect anything up to a fortnight... :/

Is it important, or does it help, to turn the mouse off with its power switch at night?

Thanks
    I never do....

But when I go to work I leave it on too.

Trust me, when you do a lot of 3D work your battery on the mouse dies damn quickly.
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    Ahh, I am a casual World of Warcraft / Battlefield 2 gamer. Don't think that is as intensive.

Is there any warning other than the solid red light when the mouse is about to run out? Such as it starting to flash?

Sorry for asking so many questions, It's just that I don't see much information in the manual other than how to plug the thing into my computer. So far that has to be the only downfall is the documentation.

Thanks
    The battery indicator is only 4 level,

3 Green
    2 Green
    1 Green
    1 Red

Thats all the warning you get.

Never seen anyone get 21 days of use, unless they work in an office typing a lot...

The documention is a bit short, but there's not much you can really say about a mouse is there?

My annoyance is that I have to turn the logitech software off to use the middle click functionality in FF to open links in new tabs, hands are too ruddy big, even the MX1000, which is the most comfortable, leaves my pinky floating in mid air.
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks
    Bit off topic here, but I am considering buying an MX1000 and I just wondered if you could tell me 2 things seeing as this thread is about just that mouse:

1) Can you connect the mouse to inbuilt WiFi or does it have to connect to the base station?

2) I heard that there is some lag on the mouse when you lift it up. Is it really as bad as they say? I.e. would I be able to feel a lag if I quickly lifted it and repositioned so I could continue turning around in a FPS game?

I'd appreciate it greatly if you could answer either of these questions
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    Xcelsion:

1) No, its not WIFI, so it has its own base station with PSU, its a neat and tidy set up and easily hides behind a TFT.

2) The lag depends on your surrounding, if you are on a metal desk the Lag is more pronounced. The computer doesn't affect it much as long as its not steel.
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    I use mine ALOT, and it will last me a week without problems...

One charge from 10pm to 7am and it'll just go and go and go, usually every 5 days I charge it as a matter of course.

I use a Abit Fatality Pad which was a freebie and its a fantastic mat, h00ge and really really nice to work on.

As for the teflon pads, mine are fine and i have had the mouse over a year I am sure of it, there is still plenty of wear lft, but i think you can get specific ones from logitech if you ask nicely

Matt.
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    ive seen no lag with the mx1000 when lifting it up, which I do alot (I have a small mousemat)

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Seems like a regular mouse as far as lifting and repositioning.

I switch mine off whenever i put it in the docking station, leave it on all other times.

Nox

Thanks
    Dougal, a fortnight is 14 days not 21 by the way.

Thanks Matt, if I get a week that would be great!

Xcelsion, I think the "lift lag" you mention is a myth. I feared this myself until I tried to replicate the claims. It is impossible to get this thing to lag. I have even tried sneaking up on it after its sat for an hour alone, the response is always instant.

I bought the 1st edition, smaller rendition, of the ICEMAT™ as I don't use a lot of mouse pad real-estate anyway. Naturally, as I am a user that does not utilise a lot of space, I am constantly lifting the mouse. Each and ever time I lift, there is no lag or latency.

With all that said, I do not use the supplied driver CD. I rely on the default drivers that load when you plug the mouse in. Perhaps this is the reason I have had no issues with the mouse?
    Last edited by acidrainy; 09-08-2005 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox
    Seems like a regular mouse as far as lifting and repositioning.

I switch mine off whenever i put it in the docking station, leave it on all other times.

Nox
    One thing that is in the manual, is that to charge you should leave it switched on when the mouse is in the bay. Might want to check that mate. :/

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    It won't charge if you turn it off IIRC!

I don't have the lifting lag problem but i hardly ever lift the mouse (Even though its a standard small mouse mat)

I get over a week out of mine with fairly heavy usage

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    It does charge if u switch it off. I just tried.

I use mine a lot in UT2004, Simcity4, Photoshop etc etc, im a very heavy computer user. I get a good 5-7 days out of it. Its not that bad when you consider i use it practically all day most days, and the battery life it on all the time (when in use) and its using a laser.

The battery will last a while when its in the red, just don't take any chances before a game though. Waiting for it to charge both boring and annoying. Logitech should address this issue (maybe supply another battery or speed the charging process up). It takes a good 2-3 hours for mine to charge. Turing it off over night will help save battery life, ive found. Since its not trying to sense any movement which will "activate" it when u move it.

As far as the pads on the icemat are concerned well... i don’t use them, i found their noisy and don’t make much difference compared to the pads already on the mouse which will last a lot longer im my view.

The only problem ive had with this mouse is when i used it on the USB port, i used to get terrible cursor sticking and annoying problems like that. I only had it within windows though. I have since put it on the PS\2 port and it works a dream now. Best peripheral ive purchased to date.

Laser technology is the way forward for mice.

BTW: Dougal make the middle click button a generic one in the logitech software, that will allow u to open tabs in FF, and dont worry about ur "pinky" being in mid air... the finger next to my little finger is on the mouse pad more than the mouse

Mike Fishcake
    Quote Originally Posted by acidrainy
    What I was curious to though is the expected battery life though. The light went red a few hours ago, I am curious as to how long I have left until the battery is empty...
    AFAIK, most rechargeable batteries have a short life at first until they've been charged and fully discharged a couple of times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information