Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: if i was to get a shuttle.....

Thanks
    couple an intel chip with anything other than an intel chipset and you wont get SFA ocing or stability.
    You are wrong with this one. I have an SS51, which features the SiS651 chipset - with a2.4GHz P4. In the 14months I'd had it, it has been utterly rock stable. Friends of mine have SS51's, SB51's & SN41G2's. All the SS & SB owners comment about how stable & trouble free these machines are. None of my SN41G2 owners can say the same....

That said, there is nothing wrong with the AMD based XPC's - but in my experience, they are just not as stable.
    The most stable AMD CPU XPC is the SK41, we get very little trouble with these. Least troublesome Intel CPU system: SB51.

Here's my Shuttle XPC league table of reliability & stability:
    1>SB51,SS51,SS50
    2>SB61, SS40
    3>SK41SV24/25
    3>SN45
    4>SN41G2

You'll see that Intel & SiS are top, with VIA in the middle ground and nVidia stuff sits at the bottom.

Having played with many other systems, I also find that Intel CPU based systems tend to be better..

Other people may disagree or have have diffreent opions. The above info is based on our vast experience of selling, supporting and fiddling with Shuttles over the last two and a half years.

But, there is no doubting that for the money, AMD based systems offer great value and performance. I for one value reliabilty and consistant performance, above price!

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Ultim8pc
    You are wrong with this one. I have an SS51, which features the SiS651 chipset - with a2.4GHz P4. In the 14months I'd had it, it has been utterly rock stable. Friends of mine have SS51's, SB51's & SN41G2's. All the SS & SB owners comment about how stable & trouble free these machines are. None of my SN41G2 owners can say the same....*snip*
    Ive owned an SS51G too, it wasnt that bad but it wasnt the performance king. You couldnt tweak it or OC at all, most likely cause of the BIOS though. The drivers were a bit crappy and it would occasionally reboot w/o warning.

Why are nforce2 shuttles so crap then if everyone loves the full ATX mobos?? I used to like VIA stuff but now ive gone right off it after having a run of worse than SIS mobos for P4, havent used an AMD/VIA in a while though.. and shuttle still dont make VIA P4 thank god.

I'll take your word for it on the AMD XPCs though having not used one personally.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    True, the SS51 has very littel O'clocking abilioty - but again, that's not something I'm personally interested in!

Hehe - I wasn't talking about ATX nForce mobos, I was talking about nForce based Shuttle XPC's.....

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    I know u werent, but i was wondering why the ATX are so great when the flexATX are so pants?

I think youve got to take into account many SN45 peeps would have bought XP1700s or whatever and oc-ed them which kinda kills the stability record as well :/
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    what are talking abt ultim8... "intel more stable than amd" yeh right!? i got a barton 2500, does 11x200 at stock vcore, ram does 2.5.3.2...its rock stable for days, in fact it was up all night transfering files to another computer through wi fi, no crashes! Also intel's being cooler running than amds...thats pants, mine doesnt go over 49 degrees c ...ive seen a 2.4c@3ghz do abt 60+...

put that in ur pipe and smoke it

as for out performing...would u rather pay £300 (ram, 2.6c) more for abt 1 fps extra? come on u cant disagree with that, intel and amd shuttles are basically neck and neck...jus amd is cheaper, and also, much more fun

Thanks
    Hehe - This kinda reminds me of the good old 'Atari vs Amiga' banter......

As I said, everyone will have their own opinions based on their experiences! (And all views are welcome!).

Thanks
    Hehe - This kinda reminds me of the good old 'Atari vs Amiga' banter......
    lol ur old

-on the side ,hows the slogan competition going? im Jumper from sudhian forums...mine was good

Thanks
    Originally posted by d_fresh1
    lol ur old
    -on the side ,hows the slogan competition going? im Jumper from sudhian forums...mine was good
    Erm.. LOL - I am old! And Atari rulez!

The competiyion didn't have an outright winner, but we drew names for a few prizes - which we posted on the thread!

Thanks
    Erm.. LOL - I am old! And Atari rulez!

The competiyion didn't have an outright winner, but we drew names for a few prizes - which we posted on the thread!

No way.. my old Amiga 600 (with it's ickle 1MB Ram Upgrade Chip ) was a beast

Zool, Lemmings.... Those were the days

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    AMD here, had *zero* stability problems whatsoever. My main machine has been on for literally months 24/7 with only the occasional reboot for the inevitable windows patches..

Just built my mum and dad an SN41G2 based system and that's showing the same reliability as the other system so far

Oh yeah.. Dawson, my A1200 would eat your A600 for breakfast
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Amiga - PAH!

It had all that 'lazy arse' hardware that did stuff you you, like - 'plonk some sprites there', 'draw some colour bars' etc.
    With the Atari ST you had to do it all in code!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information