Thread: Error with new computer

Thanks

Error with new computer

I recently built a new computer with a lanparty nf4 sli-dr mobo and I keep getting this same error when I boot up. I get a blue screen with some text about checking drives for corruption, removing new hardware, etc, then it says STOP followed by a bunch of numbers arranged somewhat like this 0x0000000, 000x00000, etc. I think it may have something to do with taking my old hard drive from my dell and putting it in this computer and having some sort of driver conflict (I can see the windows xp logo for a brief second). I've also heard of ram problems with this motherboard and it might be that because I'm using OCZ Pc-3500 ram, although I still got the error even when I set it to run at Pc-3200. If anyone has any ways to fix this problem-hopefully without having to reformat- please let me know.

Thanks
    u need a reformat, you are swapping hdd from another computer with totally different hardware to a new system built using different technology, from Intel to AMD. There is no way, as i think windows is corrupted, you prob could savage some stuff if you plug it ur old comp and burn a back up, but you will need to reformat if you dont want any problems.

phil

Thanks
    If Win2000/XP, you could try doing a 'repair install' from the CD. It'll re-copy the original windows files over and reset the drivers, but should keep all your files and software intact. You'll have to reinstall service packs, windows updates and any drivers afterwards though.

Thanks
    NGOHQ very recently posted a solution for this, titled "Upgrading a Motherboard Without Reinstalling". Check it out at http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=A...read&arc_id=36

You do need to hook the hard drive back to your old motherboard first, though.

Thanks
    The reason you're getting the error is a Pyle says.

Its all the IDE controllers, ACPI, time clocks, AGP/PCI bridges, everything you see under the installed hardware which is changed.

You DO NOT need to format even when changing from AMD -> intel or vice versa, I have migrated a Hard Drive from Intel to AMD in less then one hour without formating, technically it was only 30mins but i needed a beer.

Obviously the NGOHQ guide is out of your reach now, but I don;t do it that way, I let windows do the repair install (sometimes I have to use the repair console to make it see the other installation) it ensures that windows recognises everything before it tries to load any drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    To do a 'repair install', first boot up off the Windows XP CD and go to reinstall Windows by pressing Enter when prompted. Press F8 to agree to the license agreement and it should detect the existing install. Then press R to repair the existing install. It should start copying the files over, but keep all your files and software intact. As with all Windows installs, it'll go to a GUI section and you'll be asked for the Windows Product Key.

That should hopefully get Windows to boot on the new motherboard, assuming it was a driver conflict. Then you can go about installing the NF4 drivers and updating Windows.

Thanks
    There are issues with DFI NF4 boards and RAM. They work closely with OCZ, so you are less likely to have compatibility problems with OCZ than anyone else.

Go browse here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Thanks
    Are you using the latest BIOS version on your mainboard?

EDIT: Doesn't matter if it's a beta version.

Thanks
    u get this error because u have a different chipset motherboard. Format is strongly recommended, tho can do without

Thread Information