Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed athlon system - some component help please

Registered+
    Thanks

Proposed athlon system - some component help please

A long time intel user I am looking at getting my first athlon system via a custom build from scan. I am having some problems deciding on some of the hardware components - this is my proposed but undecided list :

Motherboard - Asus A8N-SLi Premium NF4 S939
    Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ S939
    Memory - 2GB total 4*512 - 1Gb 2x512Mb Corsair, DDR400/PC3200,128Mx64, non-ECC *2
    Case - Akasa Eclipse-62 Midi Tower Case - Hi-End
    Processor fan - replace std unit - Akasa Evo 33 (AK913) HeatPipe Cooler for AMD Athlon 64
    2* Akasa 120mm case fans and acoustic sound proofing for the case
    Power supply - 480W Tagan 2Force SLi Ultra Quiet 21db
    Harddisk - 250Gb Seagate Barracuda (7200.7rpm, 8Mb) - SATA NCQ

Stuff like graphics card(7800 gtx), soundcard (audigy 2 zs) etc I am happy about.

Looking for a fast gaming system also for work from home - no overclocking - quiet as possible given that it has fast components - must be stable.
    My questions:
    Is the memory ok and is 4*512 a good idea for this setup and motherboard ?
    Should I use the standard processor fan or is the heatpipe cooler a good choice ?
    Are all the components mentioned a good stable choice working together ?
    Seagate harddisks are quiet and reliable models I believe ?
    Will the extra case fans and accoustic proofing help significantly with noise reduction ?
    The akasa case looks like a popular quality model - good for airflow and sound proofing - opinions ?
    If possible can you estimate how loud this system might be ?

I am a newbie to building pc's and apologise if similar questions have been asked before - any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    dont buy the audigy 2, wait 2 weeks and get the new creative X-FI sound cards.

dont buy the 7800gtx, waIt 2-3 weeks and see A significant price drop for it or an optianal 7800 Ultra/ATI R520 instead.

buy a decent cpu cooler even if u dont overclock becuase stock coolers are rubbish i presume u gonna be playin games.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks chemical ali for your reply.

Yes gaming will be the primary use as well as mundane work stuff like ms office.

'stock coolers are rubbish' - I have heard conflicting opinions re the stock athlon cooler for the x2 - is it an issue of noise and/or cooling performance that concerns you with the stock model running at std spec? Any opinion on the akasa evo-33 ?

New audigy card - for a gamer rather than a hi-fi buff will the new card make a significant difference on sound quality ?

7800gtx - yes it is tempting to see what ati come up with in september and then the inevitable nvidia response.

Thanks
    The stock cooloer for amd is actually alright, better than some 3rd party coolers, but if you want to o/c a lot and want more cooling i reccommend getting a thermalright XP90-c altough it is quite expensive.

phil

Thanks
    Looking for a fast gaming system - I would say at the moment your better with a single core CPU as there are very very few games which take advantage of dual core.

My questions:
    Is the memory ok and is 4*512 a good idea for this setup and motherboard ? - I am not sure if it will or not work but would think you would be better off with 2x 1gig sticks.

Should I use the standard processor fan or is the heatpipe cooler a good choice ? - I was impressed with my stock cooler which came with my 3000+ winnie when i had it but this Artic Frezzer 64 is nice and quite. The stock one used to speed up a fair amount and make some noise when i clocked cpu / played lots of games / did high cpu stuff.

Are all the components mentioned a good stable choice working together ? - Couple of things i am unsure if all four sticks of ram will work (maybe someone else can confirm this?) I am also unsure if they are shipping motherboards with dual core ready bioses yet?

Seagate harddisks are quiet and reliable models I believe ? I can not really comment on this as i don't have a seagate I think the samsung ones are meant to be the quitest? Seagate do have 5 year g-tee though

Will the extra case fans and accoustic proofing help significantly with noise reduction ?
    - No idea not something i know about

The akasa case looks like a popular quality model - good for airflow and sound proofing - opinions ? Don't have it so no idea i am afraid.

If possible can you estimate how loud this system might be ? - Again no idea i am afraid.

Hope i have helped a bit.

Michael

Thanks
    tbh im not too sure about the X2's, better off installing the stock HSF and if u dont like it replace it.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ill_Micro.html

they havnt reviewed any of the x-fi but soon enough. but i've come across one game battlefield 2 which has the option to enable X-FI which sets the sound to ultra high, something u cannot do with the current sound cards so i assume most top line games will be x-fi and lets not forget EAX-5.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1743

Thanks
    • sybrows's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.8+Corsair H50
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig Crucial XMS 3 DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1X2tb WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 670 FTW edition
      • PSU:
      • Akasa 500 Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 8100
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Iiyama LED LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 75MB
    Nice lookin rig btw ...are thee any performance advantages with dual channel and 4 sticks of RAM (other than more RAM ) do the second set get the same benefit from the mobo? ???
    BrOw
    Last edited by sybrows; 12-08-2005 at 12:46 AM. Reason: erk

Registered+
    Thanks
    thanks for the detailed reply gamesaregood.

Memory decisions are baffling me to be honest re 2*1024 or 4*512 as well as what speed/make etc. I do not want to overclock - a stable system is most important - the corsair value ram I listed is approved by asus for this motherboard so I am hoping it is ok - I cannot see the point in paying a lot more money for the lower latency more expensive memory - opinions ?

cpu cooler - yes I am tempted to stick to the athlon std model but as scan will be building/fitting it perhaps I should just get them to put a nice cooler on it for £20odd.

I like the look of the 5 yr warranty on seagate drives - shows confidence in the product by the manufacturer.

Dual core processors seem to be the future and the price difference between say an athlon 4000+ and 4400 x2 is only say£100 - better to spend the extra I think - for gaming the dual core option should still be fast enough ??

Thanks everyone for all the answers so far - this is my dream pc so I want to get it just right !

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Tabris's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS A8N-SLi Premium
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon64 3200+ (2.0GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 1GB (2x512mb) PC3200 DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Seagate 7200.7 + 160GB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Geforce 6800GT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 500w
    Quote Originally Posted by asdicus
    'stock coolers are rubbish' - I have heard conflicting opinions re the stock athlon cooler for the x2 - is it an issue of noise and/or cooling performance that concerns you with the stock model running at std spec? Any opinion on the akasa evo-33 ?
    I've heard good things about this HSF, I'm getting one when I upgrade to my A64 system.

Otherwise, you've made some really nice choices.

I think the memory should be fine, if you're not intending to do any heavy overclocking, I doubt that picking one over the other will make much of a difference.

Thanks
    I'm using the stock cooler for the Athlon 4000+ San Diego, and it keeps temps around 45ºC on 100% load, 41ºC idle. It's not too loud, either, with a thermistor set to control the fan speed to 1800rpm.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by asdicus

for gaming the dual core option should still be fast enough ??
    someone told me the X2 4400+ is basically two 3500+'s on one die. so if ur playing single threaded games. ur only using one core. but its still fast enough imo although u can push more framerates with an 4000+

i know alot of people will say stick to single core now, preferably amd64 4000+ and upgrade in about 12-16 months time.

its entriely up to you mate lol.

Thanks
    To run @ Defaults 4x512 should be no problem, but if You want to overclock the system it's better to get 2x1Gb of Ram.

A XP-120 w/ a Papst or a Noiseblocker would perform well and give You silence

Also You should change the Hard Drive, build a Raid setup with 2x80gb Hitachi SATA 2, and leave the Seagate for storage, You will notice a big improvement when loading game levels, etc.

Thanks
    If you want to go dual core, I am still reccomending a 3800+ X2 and a good overclocking board, dfi or Abit.

With sufficient air you'll easily get the same speeds as the 4400+ X2
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Registered+
    Thanks
    Once I get a pc I tend to leave all the major components alone then just buy a new model say 3 years down the road - never really been keen on upgrading stuff like processors or motherboards etc. Changing pci cards I can deal with ! The x2 4400+ should be plenty fast for games current and future and also good for my work stuff. Your comments are useful and appreciated.

Another cpu cooler I am looking at is the akasa evo-120 - a new model I believe - slightly more expensive than the evo-33 but seems to be quieter according to the spec. Any more views on quiet but efficient coolers ?

Also any more comments on the memory(configuration/type) question would be appreciated.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • cj2mrhat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo-2 FR
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0 @ 3.0 ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS 500GB SATA2, Samsung 501J SATA2 500GB, LaCie 1TB eSATA/FW/USB external
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 OCX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Dual boot: XP & Vista 64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2232BW 22" Widescreen (1680x1050)
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Cable (WRT54GL w/ Tomato)
    what sort of ram are you looking at? I'd recommend low latency ram if you're building a gaming system - it depends entirely on your budget though. Is the ram you've picked above corsair value? There are two types - one runs at 3-3-3-8 timings and a slightly more expensive set that run at 2.5-3-3-8. The latter would be preferable. What other options do they offer on th ram? Anything with 2-2-2-5 timings would probably be too expensive but see if they offer anything like g-skill zx 3200 @ 2-3-3-6 or corsair xms 3200 (2-3-3-6), personally I'd go for that.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • cj2mrhat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo-2 FR
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0 @ 3.0 ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS 500GB SATA2, Samsung 501J SATA2 500GB, LaCie 1TB eSATA/FW/USB external
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 OCX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Dual boot: XP & Vista 64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2232BW 22" Widescreen (1680x1050)
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Cable (WRT54GL w/ Tomato)
    hang on you want a 2gb kit - scratch the g skill then - but I'm pretty sure corsair do an xms 2gb kit with the above timings. Do let us know what other options there are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information