Thread: I can't work out this laptop audio problem

Thanks

I can't work out this laptop audio problem

I installed XP from a CD which was not the standard recovery disk. But i don't think thats the source of the problem as the problem exists if i do it the normal way.

So the laptop comes with Win2k as standard via the recovery disks, then i normally immediately install XP on top.

XP complains about the audio not working, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

According to XP it is a Yamaha PCI Audio Codec (WDM). I can't even adjust any volume options in control panel. Not sure what to do, i've tried the Sony XP drivers from the vaio-link site but they still cause the same problem.

Its a Sony Vaio Z600TEK if that helps

Thanks
    So the audio works fine in Win2K but as soon as WinXP is installed you get problems?

Thanks
    • OmarSantiago's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo 6750
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Black Dragon DDR
      • Storage:
      • Raptors
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • PC P&C 750 Quad Silencer
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ09
    Ach, I hate manual installs of Vaios. As I recall, you need to install the drivers in a certain sequence to get it to work correctly. There's also some difference in the availibility of drivers between sites and depending on whether or not you log in. Try this website first and follow the links manually - select computers/ notebooks and then use the bottom drop down to select your model directly. This website offers original patches as well as updates so you might have some luck here. Also you may want to bookmark Driverguide and sign up (it's free and they never bother you). Don't give up - you can master Sony's 19th century websites you can master anything

Thanks
    I tried once to do a fresh install on a Sony from about that era, and likewise failed. So i gave up and did an upgrade instead.

ShMeE
    Current: Shuttle SX58J3, i7 950, Corsair 16GB, 2x 1.5TB, XFX 6850 1GB, 3x Samsung 23" 1920x1080, 5760x1080 = AWESOME!

Laptop: Vaio Z (13.3")
    Hexus Trust ¦ Shmee150.co.uk (Supercar Blog)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarSantiago
    Ach, I hate manual installs of Vaios. As I recall, you need to install the drivers in a certain sequence to get it to work correctly. There's also some difference in the availibility of drivers between sites and depending on whether or not you log in. Try this website first and follow the links manually - select computers/ notebooks and then use the bottom drop down to select your model directly. This website offers original patches as well as updates so you might have some luck here. Also you may want to bookmark Driverguide and sign up (it's free and they never bother you). Don't give up - you can master Sony's 19th century websites you can master anything
    Thanks i'll try that, if that doesn't work i'll have to do the recovery THEN xp upgrade method

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarSantiago
    Theres a problem with that site in that all the drivers you download install only on the specific model. Which often is just a difference of a couple of digits in the model number, even if it is exact same spec

Thanks
    To get some sony vaios to install drivers properly you ned to install the "Sony Dynamic Link Library" finding this however is nigh on impossible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RIOT
    To get some sony vaios to install drivers properly you ned to install the "Sony Dynamic Link Library" finding this however is nigh on impossible
    The drivers i download from ita.sel-sony have a built-in scanner that stops me installing it on any other laptop than the specific model number. Even if it is the same spec

Thanks
    That website isnt intended for european laptops I dont think, so no, most of the drivers wont work from there unfortunately

Thanks
    Exactly , which leaves me stuck for drivers, i'll have re-install the old way

Thread Information