Thread: ST20G5 and Linux

Thanks

ST20G5 and Linux

I have been trying to put linux on my ST20G5, but have had no luck. My set up is:

• Shuttle ST20G5
    • AMD Athlon64 4000+ "San Diego"
    • OCZ Performance PC3200 1x1024
    • Samsung SpinPoint 200GB SATA-II (SP2004C)
    • NEC ND3540A DVDRW-DL/CDRW

Now I have read that the sata_uli drivers are required, and have tried distrobutions that include them - my current list of attempts are:

• Ubuntu 5.04 i386
    • Ubuntu 5.04 AMD64
    • Ubuntu AMD64 "breezy" Live CD
    • Debian 3.1 i386
    • Debian 3.1 i386 Net install
    • Suse 9.3 i386
    • Suse 9.3 x86_64 Net Install
    • Slackware 10.1

I have Fedora Core 4 on disc ready to try too. However, it was when trying slackware I noticed that my DVD drive was being mounted as hda, and my hard disk wasnt being mounted at all - which is why none of the installers could not find it to partition/install. I checked in the bios, and found that my dvd drive was on IDE Channel 0 Master, and my SATA HDD is the IDE Channel 2 Master. Could this have anything to do with my problems?

Thanks.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Have you tried enabling the SATA raid in the BIOS? once you have done this Fedora Core 4 and other distro's such as Gentoo will pick up the SATA drive.

Thanks
    for the installers to work they will have to have the drivers available at install time, and reading up on these drivers they also need scsi emmulation.

some installers will require special boot paramters (not many any more) to enable SCSI emmulation.

Could any of the installers see any SCSI disk ? sda/sdb etc
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by th3_soul
    Have you tried enabling the SATA raid in the BIOS? once you have done this Fedora Core 4 and other distro's such as Gentoo will pick up the SATA drive.
    My saviour! I enabled RAID and the installers are finding the drive and its partitions now. Tried installing ubuntu - and it installed, only the startup freezes at the "Starting hotplug subsystem" step....unless that step is just taking a reaaaalllllyy long time, which it may be as the keyboard still responds to caps lock, etc.

Debian still couldnt see the drive though, so I couldnt install that, but fedora could, I just need to download the rest of the cd's as ive only got the first one.

Thread Information