Thread: Samsung SpinPoint question

Thanks

Samsung SpinPoint question

Hi all,

I noticed tonight that Scan list 2 different 250GB Spinpoints - one is an SP2004C at £65, and the other is an SP2504C at £82. I've had a look at Samsung's website, and these two drives appear identical in every way according to the spec, so I was wondering if there actually is any difference, and if not why are there 2 identical drives at 2 different prices with 2 different model numbers?

Thanks!

Thanks
    lol u didnt look closely did u? ones 200gb and the other is 250gb.

I was looking last week, until I went and got 2x250gb seagate barracudas sata, vey very quiet and very good performance.

phil

Thanks
    Err how closely do you want me to look?

250GB Samsung SpinPoint P120S (SP2504C) 7200rpm, 8MB, SATA II Fluid Dynamic Bearings, 25dBA
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=247245

250GB Samsung SpinPoint SP2004C 7200rpm, 8MB, SATA II Fluid Dynamic Bearings, 25dBA
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=260257

I'm sorry, but unless my eyes are failing me that says 250GB on both...

Thanks
    scans mistake, but u really need to look at the samsungs webby m8 not the vendors webby.
    the SP2004C is the 200gb model.

SP2504C is 250gb model

phil
    Last edited by philyau; 05-09-2005 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    The only SATA Barracudas in 250GB that Scan seem to list atm are 7200.7 models, which are old technology now, I'd want a 7200.8 if I went down that route - however, the data density is much higher on the Samsung 250GB than the 7200.8 250GB, and they've been yielding much higher performance in benchmarks too. Seagate need to release some native SATA II drives before I consider them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seanblee
    The only SATA Barracudas in 250GB that Scan seem to list atm are 7200.7 models, which are old technology now, I'd want a 7200.8 if I went down that route - however, the data density is much higher on the Samsung 250GB than the 7200.8 250GB, and they've been yielding much higher performance in benchmarks too. Seagate need to release some native SATA II drives before I consider them.
    sorry forgot to post the main page on the samsung
    webby where u will see the 200/250gb models.

Scans website is wrong. they are the 7200.8 models, if u look at the manufacters code ST3250823AS on seagates webby, they are 7200.8 models.

and also I have two of these 7200.8 models running from scan brought last week.

like I said before dont look at the vendors webby, always look at teh manufacters site.

phil
    Last edited by philyau; 05-09-2005 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks
    That may well be the case, but if I'm buying from Scan then the product detailed on their website is what I'm buying. If I ordered one of those £65 drives and only received a 200GB drive, I'd be sending it back and they'd be sending me a 250GB drive at that price, because by law that's what I'm entitled to.

Thanks
    I'd be sending it back and they'd be sending me a 250GB drive at that price, because by law that's what I'm entitled to.
    Sounds like a fly is up ur butt mate.

The thing is tho, that within this thread is proof that you were told it was a 200GB drive and despite recognising this you went ahead and ordered.

You may be coverable by law, but you'll get people annoyed at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    FWIW I did check Samsung's site - not sure where philyau got his links from but i went to samsung.com and through Products, and was brought to this page. The difference looks obvious enough until you click each drive, then Specifications, and see that both are listed as 200GB - clearly the manufacturer's site isn't always reliable either!

Anyway, you're missing my point, I wasn't actually going to order those drives then demand an exchange, that would be stupid - my point was that I shouldn't have to check the manufacturer's site. Not to worry, my question's been answered somewhere between people telling me I can't read and I have a fly up my butt...

Thanks
    FWIW I did check Samsung's site - not sure where philyau got his links from but i went to samsung.com and through Products, and was brought to this page. The difference looks obvious enough until you click each drive, then Specifications, and see that both are listed as 200GB - clearly the manufacturer's site isn't always reliable either!

Anyway, you're missing my point, I wasn't actually going to order those drives then demand an exchange, that would be stupid - my point was that I shouldn't have to check the manufacturer's site. Not to worry, my question's been answered somewhere between people telling me I can't read and I have a fly up my butt...
    err I checked the link u gave me and it mentions the capacity on that page, i also clicked on both drive links and both came up with their correct capacitys.

having a closer look, I think you have been mistaken, samsung does state the correct information, you just reading it wrong.

SpinPoint P120 Series provides spacious storage capacity of up to 250GB
    from each page, if u read above it does state the capacity in big fonts, below the model number.

phil

Thanks
    Yup I know it's right there, but click Specifications and both say 200GB. Either way the issue is done now, I've been told I can't read enough times for one night.

EDIT: Here are direct links, just in case I am going mad...
    Here's the 2004, and here's the 2504. Look at the line which says 'Capacity' in the 'Drive Configuration' section - both say 200GB.
    Last edited by seanblee; 05-09-2005 at 02:26 AM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    sean dude.

it dosen't matter, ur all awake at 2:30 am on a sunday night/monday morn. I mean, jinkeis people. WHO CARES, scan have ballsed up. Samsung have a hard to navigate site (gosh a storage firm with a hard to browse site what a schocker).
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    You're all too slow, I bought this to their attention yesterday http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=53547

Thread Information