Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks

Recommendations

Can anyone recommend the following?

A decent PSU, 400w I suppose, which is both reasonably quiet and not too expensive. And no, I don't really consider spending £60 on a PSU reasonable unless it's really necessary.

A good CPU cooler which is either very quiet, or totally passive. Again, I don't want to be spending more than the cost of the components on the cooling, so the cheaper the better.

Thank you very much chaps

Thanks
    Well you won't really get a decent PSU for under £60

The 430w Tagan Here would be ok...but...

I never understand people who skimp on PSU's: go buy a bloody Q-Tec and watch your nice system explode. PSU's are one of the most important components in any system as they supply power to the whole lot!
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Registered+
    Thanks
    there is no quiet cooling for under £20 so here is arctic coolings 64 for £22
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...c_Cooling.html
    and akasas 913
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...Akasa_119.html
    scond one down, £23, this gives the best performance, and is variable down to 23 decibels, which is extremely quiet

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez815
    I never understand people who skimp on PSU's: go buy a bloody Q-Tec and watch your nice system explode. PSU's are one of the most important components in any system as they supply power to the whole lot!
    Have to agree with that thought. Gonna cost me an arm an a leg now to replace my boys pc.

Zalman CPU coolers are quiet, and the 7000AlCu not too expensive:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...alman_121.html

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Thanks
    I had a 400w akasa paxpower psu (£40 from scan i beleive)

Rock stable rails and the 120mm fan made my case cooler and its v.quiet!

Highly recommended gets three winks...

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez815
    Well you won't really get a decent PSU for under £60

The 430w Tagan Here would be ok...but...

Well it's pretty simple really. A PSU is a box with some transformers in. The people charging more than the price of many motherboards must be laughing all the way to the bank. All the stories of PSUs blowing stuff up (unless you own something really dodgy) are wildly exaggerated.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I've had 3 cheap PSU fail in family PC's over the last 12 months - ok they've not Blown anything up but they have needed replacing - all 3 we're cheap (<£40) units. My Tagan PSU has not failed me yet nor has the enermax I installed for my brother.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS
    Well it's pretty simple really. A PSU is a box with some transformers in. The people charging more than the price of many motherboards must be laughing all the way to the bank. All the stories of PSUs blowing stuff up (unless you own something really dodgy) are wildly exaggerated.
    Some may say thats a silly comment. A Continental tyre and a remold are both tyres. Both you can fit to the most important point on your car (its the bit that makes contact with the road after all), but one is more likely to blow out or wear faster than the other. You pay for what you get. A cheap PSU may not be as well made and/or may be comprised of cheaper components. One may supply a rock solid supply across the rails, the other may not.
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS
    Well said noTHINGface.

There are a lot of people on this forum who are experienced system buidlers. I'm sure I'd get almost unanimous agreement that a PSU is a very important part of any PC. I've known 3-4people in the last month or so coming to me and saying that their PC is screwed up. I took a lok and all were the fault of badly made, poorly put together PSU's with cheap components. You spend £100's of £'s on components and then skimp on what is IMO the most important part

If you want your system to last a few years (or at the least more than a few months), then getting a decent PSU is VITAL. There: rant over

So take the advice of a lot of people and stretch to the best you can afford

Thanks
    I agree with the two posters above!

However i still think the 400w psu by akasa is the one to get!

Thanks
    I have to agree with the 'buy a decent PSU' theme... I went for a Tagan, and it has yet to blow up.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Hiper type r 480w psus are only £50, if not the akasa paxpowers aren't so bad.

explorer.exe
    Thanks
    I agree about the Hiper.

I have one, after a CWT one kept cutting out. Never skipped a beat since, and it has a fair few devices to power, and it's usually on for 20+hours a day.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    May well have a boxed thermaltake 480W up for sale for about £45inc - PM me if you're interested.

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    It's not that I don't want a decent PSU, it's the cost.

Going back to that tyre example....if the tyres cost £2000 a set, would you still be so keen? My point is that PSUs are very expensive for what they are, quality or not.

I'll have to think about it and see if i can afford a decent one. Otherwise, I'm a big boy, I can live with my actions

Thanks
    Well I wouldn't want to save £40 just to see my PC turn into a ball of flame.

Or worse still - slowly stop working..

Both things I've heard happen with bad PSU's

Thread Information