Thread: Laptops?

Thanks

Laptops?

Laptops?

So who know about laptops?

My friend has asked me to hunt one out for around £500 just wondering what makes and models are around for that sort of money, I did say £500 might be a bit low but that’s all she has..

Any help would be great

Cheers

Thanks
    Checkout www.dabs.com www.scan.co.uk and www.ebuyer.com , look for Acer, HP & Toshiba. I got an Acer about 3 weeks ago, very good Comp.

Thanks
    The ACER 3003Li is about £550 a fairly decent specced laptop for the price although battery life is poor.

Ebuyer have an offer on a ACER 1.4Celeron M for £399 inc vat at the moment has a better battery life.
    Vorsprung Durch Technik

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezzer
    Yep Kezzer,

This...

https://sslrelay.com/s90663264.onean...iew.shopscript

is the way to go!

Thanks
    the best place i know for cheap laptops is www.novatech.co.uk , they only do one range with decent graphics but its good for the price, and their customer service is unrivaled

Thanks
    I've got an Acer myself, I think i'll be getting a new laptop in the new year as i'll probably end up ditching my desktop

Thanks
    • lost eden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-E
      • CPU:
      • E7300 @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GiB
      • Storage:
      • 3x 2TB Samsung F3EG + 160GB system disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GT
      • PSU:
      • 500W Antec Earthwatts
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata III
      • Operating System:
      • 64-bit Archlinux
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007WFP (a04 S-IPS) + Samsung 2043NX
    To tell you the truth, for that price & for somebody with what sounds like a limited knowledge of computers you might as well go with a dell. Their laptops start at £349 inc. VAT & p&p. She'll get plenty of idiot-proof tech support & help should you not be around to help.

If you want to cut down on price or up the performance look for a refurbished laptop. Warwickshire County Council can sell me (well my dad) a 800MHz P3 Tosh Tecra for £135.

Thanks
    Whatever you get make sure it's a real Centrino (not a Celeron) or a Turion. All of the rest are old technology.

Thanks
    Well, the rest aren't old technology but not best suited for laptops. I highly agree though, make sure it's real Centrino or Turion. I've compared P4 laptops compared to Centrino. Battery life, cooling, size is all pretty much crap on anything which isn't Centrino or Turion based

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezzer
    Well, the rest aren't old technology but not best suited for laptops. I highly agree though, make sure it's real Centrino or Turion. I've compared P4 laptops compared to Centrino. Battery life, cooling, size is all pretty much crap on anything which isn't Centrino or Turion based
    That's for sure!

Also, my 1.6GHz Turion overclocks to 1.76GHz (220x8) which causes it to be much faster due to the increase in bandwidth, and battery life is still very good with the improved PowerNow implementation. Out benches a 1.73GHz Dothan in most applications. Killer deal!

Try to get the largest fastest harddrive also. Makes a huge difference in the overall performance of a lappy!
    Last edited by StormPC; 24-09-2005 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks
    Not that you should overclock laptops as the cooling is designed for the stock speeds which means your laptop can become louder due to the extended cooling requirements on the CPU.

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    Lol!! Overclockin laptops!! Now Ive herd of everything

When you get hte laptop, make sure that It has all of hte parts in with it, my mums friend got a laptop, they forgot the charger, not a happy girl there

Thanks
    Actually, overclocking laptops makes more sense than overclocking a desktop in terms of increasing performance and saving money. Laptops are hideously expensive. The price difference for 100-200MHz more on the CPU can be hundreds of dollars. The Turion 1.6 runs at 200x8 normally, but is extremely over engineered. It is happy as can be running at 220x8, which is a 160MHz increase. You know how well A64s scale, right? Well the Turions are no different. My $899.00 notebook running at 1.76GHz keeps up with (and in some cases beats) the 1.8 Centrinos which are much more expensive.

Anyway, with PowerNow technology the normal speed of 1600MHz is knocked down to 800MHz until something that utilizes the CPU is running, so at 1760MHz it's really running at 880MHz most of the time at only 1.0 volts on the core. Compaq/HP designed this laptop to provide 1.45 vcore when it is running under load so this thing will probably run at 2GHz with the right memory. With PowerNow enabled that's still only 1GHz at 1.0 volts when typing a word doc or listening to a CD.

You guys will see much more laptop overclocking in the future. People said I was nuts when I overclocked my Palm. Well, you'll see. Desktops are soon going to be obsolete for everything but workstations and powerful servers (and enthusiasts of course).
    Last edited by StormPC; 25-09-2005 at 01:41 AM.

Thread Information