Thread: SN95 Issues

LWA
    Thanks

Question SN95 Issues

Hey people,
    I have been having a few teething problems with my new SN95 v2 (from Scan):

My system (AMD 64 3000, Radeon 9700 Pro, SN95) will boot correctly if I reset the CMOS before turning the computer on. The RAM, HDD, CPU, DVD drive are all correctly shown and everything works great. However if I then shutdown the computer and try to boot it, the fans will spin for a second and then stop. The green and red lights will then light up on the motherboard and nothing else happens. According to the manual, the red light diagnoses a problem with the graphics card (a 3.3v card being used instead of a 1.5v?).

This seems to be a known problem and I was wondering whether anyone knew a way to stop this happening? (rather than having to reset the system everytime I want to boot my computer)

Thanks for everyones input,
    Leon

Thanks
    This is a known problem with the sn95 , what you need to do is turn it on if it hangs hold the power button down for 3-4 seconds then it will turn it off. Then turn it on again and it should boot fine.

LWA
    Thanks
    Thanks Gordy that works a treat :-) Do you happen to know whether they intend to actually fix this in the future?

Thanks again for the help mate.

Thanks
    Are you by chance using a Venice cored AMD chip? This exact problem happened with mine. There is no solution at present and doesnt look like there is going to be. I got really confused by the graphics card light coming on but it has nothing to do with the graphics card. Its because the BIOS wont support the chip. Shuttle said they are not releasing an update for it.

You have a choice - either downgrade you chip to a Winchester one (slightly older). Or some X2 chips are supported (I think the ones with E6 stepping technology - you may want to check the Sudhian forums they are really good)

Send you PC back and wait for SN95G5 v3 which was due out in June but has now been pushed back to October (and probably further). This will support your chip. You could get one imported from the US if you want.

I waited from June to September and then couldnt wait any longer for version 3. I scrapped the PC and got a ST20G5 instead - it has PCI-E so I think its better and it supports the Venice chip. Its only £10 more than sn95g5.
    I found this problem really annoying and shows poor support on Shuttle's part.
    Sorry there is no answer but I would act now and not wait.

Thanks
    They arent able to fix this with a bios update so I'm afraid theres not much they can do.

The v3 boards arent a great deal better tbh. In fact all the socket939 shuttles have had their share of problems its mainly due to amd but shuttle have their share of blaim.

Thanks
    I really like my ST20G5. I plan on buying a SN95G5 chassis so I can swap it from silver to black but other than colour I think it is as good as and better than an SN95G5. I would recommend you not bother waiting for v3 and just get a ST20G5

LWA
    Thanks
    I guess I have no choice other than to get a refund as I don't want a faulty shuttle.

Anyone have have any other recommendations other than the ST20?

Thanks
    Does htis even affect the N-Force4 range? Pitty - I always looked to Shuttle AMD systems for stability

Thread Information