Thread: need help identifying some old hardware please! (56k should be ok)

Thanks

Question need help identifying some old hardware please! (56k should be ok)

hi, i have some old hardware i need to identify, not all of it may be computer related but i would appreciate any help you can give me.

these are all thumbnails, you can click them for a (much) bigger version

firstly a old mobo, any help with who made it ect

this was a pull from a old IBM workstation, it wasnt holding anything but was clipped into the case

some old sticks of ram, i need to know what type each of them are (ddr, ect)

i dont have much of a clue here, i think it could be somthing SCSI

this one i honestly dont have a clue about!

a pull from the same ibm workstation

well, anything i dont want or need i will give you guys first pickings on.

anyhow, thanks in advance

Thanks
    The last two are a PCI/ISA add on card for your motherboard.

The one you say is an SCSI card i think is a 50-pin version the rest i dont know
    Vorsprung Durch Technik

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    man.. these stuff are ancient...
    Me want Ultrabook

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMagnus
    firstly a old mobo, any help with who made it ect
    Was a chap called Wong in the year 1802 or early 1803, with some assistance from his brother, Pong.

I would guess you got absolutely filthy dissassembling that machine, all the dust from being 15 years old!! I cannot think of a use for anything of that age, I had a shoe box of old ISA/VESA cards i threw out a month ago - the cost of putting the bits on ebay, advertising stuff no one would want, would of been daft. And the hassle for selling an item for 99p, and walking to the post office with it.

Nox

Thanks
    i forgot to say that everything under each heading is differnt pictures of the same item

the bottem card wont fit a normal isa/pci card slot

yeah, i thought that about the scsi card, but if you notice it has no interface with the motherboard!

Thanks
    The first one I am guessing is a super socket 7 or ordinary socket 7 motherboard with a mix of PCI and ISA slots and 168 pin DIMM slots, you really need to see what the Northbridge chip is, eg FX. Take the heatsink off the processor to see if there is an Intel chip there, and if it is an MMX or non MMX chip, or if it's something like a AMD K5.

The top memory module is probably 72 pin EDO memory, circa 1996 which replaced Past Page mode memory left over from early pentiums and x86 (386/486) in about 1997 the jump was made to 168 pin DIMMs, EDO was installed in pairs but the DIMMs as shown the the second lot, were Dual Inline Memory Modules that could be installed singly.
    You have two different Dimms in the second memory photo, you can't tell the size or speed unless you read the writing on the memory chips themselves but as they are either different sizes, or possibly the same size with different memory densities.

I am guessing the first card is a SCSI I back plane for external drives, SCSI II had 50 pins, it might have been the interface between an internal SCSI I controller which was embedded on a motherboard (like you get USB extension plates nowadays) or possibly just a card to take a SCSI I cable outside of a case for a SCSI PCI/ISA card.

I too have no idea what that CCD card is, if in fact it is a computer part at all. The only CCD's I know about are Charge Coupled Devices used as imaging chips.

The last card is a PCI/ISA riser card which would almost probably have come from a proprietary form factor motherboard which was not of an AT or ATX form factor, possibly a server. On the rear is an auxilliary 12 volt power socket which would enable the riser/daughterboard to provide power on the PCI/ISA/VESA local bus without overpowering the host motherboards slot it was installed in.

I would consider donating all these items to your local museum!

Thanks
    Oh yeah, socket 7 for any newbies to computers (ie people who became involved this millenium) was the forrunner to the BX chipset (Pentium II in a slot 1 package) but there was a lot of confusion at the time due to regular socket 7 boards with chipsets like the Intel FX only supporting non-MMX chips as MMX enabled processors were on a different voltage and were supported by the TX chipset.

You can identify it either from the Northbridge which should be labelled, or from what processor is under that passive and minutely cute heatsink. If it's a K5 or a VIA or something then I can't help as I was an Intel fan at the time.

Thanks
    I will stop posting on this thread in a minute... that plastic thing is possibly some sort of support device for the PCI/ISA riser/daughtercard as any card which would have been installed in it would be flapping around in the breeze, you couldn't screw it into the backplane of the chassis or anything.

Bear in mind even the first ATX cases were all different, it wasn't until about 1999 or thereabouts that cases were globally unified. I've seen many "ATX" cases that had to be changed as they did not accept "ATX" power supplies.

Right, I'm off to read another thread before I write anything else.

Thanks
    thanks for that icq3800846, i just remembered that the riser card was from a ibm workstation with a busted mobo.

so that small card above the riser is a CCD card? umm, whats a CCD card?

and anyone have any idea what that type of ram is in the 3rd ram pic?

thanks all for your help

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    SCSI is an add-on to an old, old card (just like you get with some soundcards today). Easily 10+ years old.

Top chip in the two RAM modules, says 2Mbx64 on the PCB, so I'd guess that this was 128Mb of PC100. Around 5 years old.

Bottom "memory module" looks like one of the old external cache chips that used to plug into motherboards (and were a nightmare). If so it's 10+ years old.

I don't know what the pic third from the bottom is, but if it works after the abuse it looks to have received I'd be surprised.

Thanks
    I think the 2mb x 64 refers to 2 megaBIT not megabyte and the 64 part refers to the density. A lot of different spec chips for the same physical memory size came out all at the same time using differing amounts and types of actual memory chips.

The really old ones had smaller chips embedded on both sides and lots of them, suprise, surprise, the newer ones sometimes only had four larger chips embedded on one side only to give the same capacity.

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 Pro Nvme, 1TB Seagate HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Ethusiast 850W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker STC 101
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    My 2p

First pic is what looks like an Intel branded Skt 7 board with onboard ATI 8MB Graphics. I have used a few of those, its still possible to upgrade the bios (although theres no chance im posting any links etc)

The 2-5 pics looks like it comes from the front of the case, this would have been to hold oversize pci/isa cards in place (from the back to the front of the board) - yes the cards could be this big....

Picture 6 is a stick of FPRam/EDO most likely EDO.

Pictures 7 is of SD-Ram - unable to tell the mhz speed and size. Should be able to look this up, afaik 2Mbx64 = 16MB for the top one, nothing easily identifiable on the second stick.

Picture 8 is of cache ram - unsure of type but looks like early Pentium stuff before it was integrated on the MB.

Picture 9 & 10 im unsure of.

Picture 10 looks like some sort of photo sensative device (light reactive) - the CCD bit gives this away.

Picture 11 & 12 is a daughter board. This would multiply the PCI/ISA slots in the system - usually used in desktop cases where ISA/PCI expansion cards couldn't be fitted a certain way (usually due to space constraints). Possibly out of a Dell Optiplex or IBM/clone.

Thanks
    God yes, never thought that Picture 8 could be a COAST with SRAM. I'd almost forgotten they ever existed. Maybe there should be a separate forum along the lines of a "Who's Baby" forum, but with overyone's most obscure and old kit. I'm serious, this post has bought back so many memories and it is so much more fun than looking at photos of the inside of modern cases bathed in blue LED light!

Right I'm off for a quick frag on Far Cry as the temperature sensor reckons the blue LEDs have cooled my space heating graphics card low enough to play again.

Rabs, a man aftrer my own heart, I take my hat off to your obviously non-volitile memory in your head. Now if only I could get a new BIOS for mine or some new memory......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by icq3800846
    it is so much more fun than looking at photos of the inside of modern cases bathed in blue LED light!
    ok, i am now trying to decide wether you are really weird or really cool, of course, you could be both

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    Group 1. Not sure who made the mobo. Looks to be super socket 7, or possibly socket 370 with an intel chipset, ATi integrated video, and two 168-pin DIMM slots.

2. Plastic retention thingy for fully length expansion cards.

3. First of the memory is defiantly a 72-pin SIMM, cant read the writting on the chips so I have no idea if its 50, 60, or 70ns or if its FPM or EDO.

Second pair are 168 pin 7.5ns (not sure on the first one) dimms. SDR. PC133. The first of the pair might be PC100.

Last one is indeed cache on a stick (COAST).

4. Looks like a 34-pin to 50p-pin external SCSI converter card. Or maybe it's a floppy conector/adaptor for an external flopy drive drive.

5. Not sure, possibly some sensor or random number generator.

6. Prepretary PCI and ISA riser card from some server.

Any idea if the motherboard works? Or what CPU is on it?

I might be willing to buy that mobo and ram off of you. My pentium 200 finally burned out form it's 66Mhz overclock and I'm in need of a new computer to run DOS on.

Thanks
    ah,

im 99% sure the mobo works, i will check the proc soon for you

and what ram? of the first two kinds i have two big bags of (big for ram anyhow) i only have one of the COAST ram tho

Thread Information