Thread: Is my PSU suffering?

Thanks

Is my PSU suffering?

Hi all

I think my PSU is a little upset, every now and then (and it is intermittent) it starts buzzing, Im pretty sure it’s the PSU, can hear it quite clearly with the old ear pressed against it. Thing is – it only happens every now and then. Its in my Mesh box and I have on-site warranty but don’t want to bother them <again!> unless I really have to!

Never had one do this before but what do you guys think?
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Thanks
    My PSU sometimes makes an annoying whine which is pitched to be almost inaudible but which manages to make you think you have tinitus in both ears.

I tried a technical re-adjustment (I smacked it one) and it is quiet again now.

Are you sure it isn't just the fan in the PSU that's making the buzzing sound?
    Core i7 920, Asus P6T, 3x2 1333 DDR3, Vista x64, Ageing 8800GT (Next upgrade!), Adaptec 1430SA with 4x500 gig HD (2x RAID 0 and 2x RAID 1), Blu Ray rewriter, 1TB HD for data, housed in Cooler Master ATCS 840 awaiting water cooling with Corsair HX1000 PSU, Microsoft Habu and Reclusa, 22" and 17" TFT.

Thanks
    Hi - yeah its definately not a normal operation kind of noise, its kind of like an electrical crackling and its that which makes me nervous!

Thanks
    Well I could ask what PSU it is, what is it's rating in Watts, and what do you have in your system.... have you added loads of hard drives, a new graphics card, is it overloaded?

I could also ask if your machine ever crashes, but to be fair, if it's under warranty, in my humble opnion, I would get it swapped out.

Your PSU powers everything inside your system case, and some things outside like USB devices etc.... think of it as being the foundation of your system. If it goes wrong you could not only damage nearly everything in your computer but potentially you could come to harm yourself.

So providing it's not caused by small children poking sticks in holes at the back of your PSU (don't laugh, one of my children posted a 2p coin in my floppy drive once and also posted hair bobbles in my video recorder) then I would consider reporting it to Mesh, at least by e-mail to ask for their advice...... that way if it does go "pop" then you had already voiced your concern.

If it were me, I'd get it swapped out as soon as possible, I don't like electrical things that buzz when they're not meant to.
    Core i7 920, Asus P6T, 3x2 1333 DDR3, Vista x64, Ageing 8800GT (Next upgrade!), Adaptec 1430SA with 4x500 gig HD (2x RAID 0 and 2x RAID 1), Blu Ray rewriter, 1TB HD for data, housed in Cooler Master ATCS 840 awaiting water cooling with Corsair HX1000 PSU, Microsoft Habu and Reclusa, 22" and 17" TFT.

Thanks
    • [DW]Cougho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3 1900 FLCK
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800 C16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 870 EVO NVME & 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 1
    Capacitors do buzz, although its generally not a good sign if you can hear it.

Have a talk to mesh, if they will replace it because of a simple buzzing then do it. However i feel they might not think it serious enough.

Thanks
    Thanks all, indeed caps do buzz but I've never heard a PSU make this kind of noise before (and I've built one or two boxes up in my time). I made a pact with myself, if it pipes up again in the time that it takes me to spin through the CoD2 demo then I'll drop Mesh a line on Monday and get it swapped out.....

Cheers gents.

Thread Information