Thread: MiniITX Mobo + RAM + CPU plz

Thanks

Talking MiniITX Mobo + RAM + CPU plz

Hey peeps,

Right I am about to start a project but I was kinda set on the hardware until I started reading varying reviews. Then I saw this section and thought "hmmm ... maybe I should put my little ole question to these peeps" cause I've been thinking about it for ages but I keep changing my mind

Thus the idea of my Sun ULTRAsparc 5 system was born. Now I already have the case (£30 from a guy who sells these systems on fleabay) now I just need the internal hardware. I'm going to be using it to gain more knowledge for myself (used as a network server) plus I can also remotely access it from work to try out vulnerabilities. Its also gunna be a mail server. OS will either be 2000 or Linux (which I have not decided yet).

Budget for this is going to be around £100 to £150 max and I would like a specification on this plz:

A motherboard that is 240x240mm (so miniITX region) and is a maximum of 80mm high including CPU + 1U cooler. I say 240x240mm cause I measured it. Anything longer and the PSU will get in the way
    A processor to go in the said motherboard (doesn't have to be the fastest out there)
    Some RAM (either 256 or 512mb) to go in said motherboard with said CPU

I've already located a DVD-RAM drive (proper tray stylee) to be used as a network backup device and I've already got the PSU. I've also got a 1U CPU cooler which is required cause of the height of the case. Space is at a constrant but hey its all good

I was going to go for a AMD solution but I couldn't work out which mobo to get cause they all have their good and bad points but most of them tend to side with the bad rather than the good.

The board preferably has to have network and video onboard. Am not worried about sound and other rubbish like that cause its going to be used in a server environment.

Cheers for your help guys.
    Signature in development ... please be patient

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    ive a thread in f/s with a modded sv25 for sale - its got an external passive psu too so it might suit your moddin requirements..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Originally posted by 5lab
    ive a thread in f/s with a modded sv25 for sale - its got an external passive psu too so it might suit your moddin requirements..
    I would do mate but I've already got the case and the shuttle cases have never really appealled to me. I'm going for the conventional but not conventional look if you get what I mean Plus it is going to be used at work sometimes as well so having a 2nd sparc box on my desk isn't really going to attract attention all that much which is why I'm after the hardware to fit inside it without performing sacrilege on a shuttle

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    so take the stuff out and just use that - comes with a 40gig hdd, sblive soundcard (with riser so its not too tall and only needs 1 fan to silently cool the lot
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    5lab I wrote in your SV25 thread but I'm putting here as well. Check your PMs dude

Thread Information