Thread: Computer won't boot up.

Thanks

Computer won't boot up.

Got a bit of a problem. I spent the afternoon deleting and formatting two hard drives and preparing a dual boot. One drive with Linux and one with WinXp. Both drives had Linux before I started this. I used a boot disk and got the DOS prompt and went to Fdisk. This allowed me to remove the partitions that had been created. Then when I tried to go back and format the drive it informed me that it wasn't suitable for format!
    That seemed kind of weird so I tried the other drive and got the same response.

Anyway I thought the best thing to do was head off to Seagate's website and I downloaded a utility that ran off a floppy when booted and check the disk etc. Booted up and the Seagate splash screen came up. Then nothing. The top of the screen said "C:\xbios.exe" which the file it must ahve been running. The hard drive light was on as if it had hung or something. I waited and waited but nothing. Reset but the screen was just blank. Done a hard power down and booted up again but nothing.
    My first suspicion was "b****x, the disk is screwed." So itried the other drive - same deal.

To be specific: The computer powers on. There is no POST and no familiar motherboard beeps. The monitor stays in standby. The hard drive momentarily spins and then stops. She's in a coma. Maybe dead.

Anyone with advice? I gotta say my gut feeling is the mobo. Is there any way to check this. I'm off to write a stern letter to Seagate. Doubt it'll get anywhere......

Thanks
    You haven't said you have, so im gonna ask it. Have you tried it without any drives attached ? i.e. will it post when the drives have no influence ?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    actually i hadn't tried that but i now i have and still does nothing. It won't even check the disk drives....

Thread Information