Thread: Some opinions please...

wol
    Thanks

Some opinions please...

Ive just ordered a Shuttle SB75G2 and want to get the rest of the kit what do you think of this:

- Hitatchi Deskstar 7K250 250GB SATA150:
    Supposed to be quite a good drive and quieter than most isnt it?

- PENTIUM 4 2.4GHZ SKT478 FSB800 512KB CACHE BOXED D1 STEPPING

OR

- PENTIUM 4 3.0GHZ SKT478 FSB800 512KB CACHE BOXED
    Now im not sure what processor to get. The shuttles dont overclock too well do they hence the 3g choice, but then i dont want anything too hot and 300 for a CPU isnt cheap.

- 1gb GeIL PC3200 400MHz DDR Dual Channel ULD Series
    Not really much discussion here is there?

So thoughts please?

Wol

Thanks
    I belive the P4 2.4c will easily clock to 3ghz so buy that and save yourself the money but you'll have to confirm the mobo can manage the overclock not sure about the ones used in a shuttle(thats the small one right ? smaller then atx)and also consider a samsung HDD if you want a really quiet drive
    Last edited by atifds9; 22-10-2003 at 11:45 PM.
    i5 | Antec Sonata 3 | 4 GB | OCZ Vertex | Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7

Banned
    Thanks
    I hear Seagate are generally considered among the quietest of drives although perf is a little lower. Maxtor are the happy medium ground for me as you can run with top end perf or use Acoustic Man sw to run them silently (obv some impact on speed) ... so long as they aren't SATA.

Not sure how those mobos tend to o/c, I'd meet half way and get the 2.6ghz 800FSB part as you get a little higher stock perf for a reasonable price and if you can o/c won't need such high FSB.

I dislike Geil and would point you to Adata, PC4000 or so if you plan to o/c. Also check out TwinMOS esp with Winbond. You can still save and get PC3200 then run async when you o/c but faster rated stuff no longer costs THAT much extra.

wol
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    I hear Seagate are generally considered among the quietest of drives although perf is a little lower. Maxtor are the happy medium ground for me as you can run with top end perf or use Acoustic Man sw to run them silently (obv some impact on speed) ... so long as they aren't SATA...
    DO you mean stay away from SATA drives? The reason i ask is that i want to go down the SATA route.

Wol

Thanks
    No, I would still go for a sata drive, just check out some reviews on the maxtor/seagate/samsung models and find the one that suites you most. Haven't ever a sata drive before so can't really give you any personal opinions and the specific models

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    No i don't think austin is saying keep away from Sata, and certainly in a shuttle its madness to stay away from sata, especially because it makes things 10 times easier with leads and lack of room to route them.

I think he's saying stay away from some of the sata drives for silence. Personally i'd go with the maxtor sata drive as i don't think you'll hear that over the psu and rear fan...

and again i'd agree with austin on the 2.6Gig part. I don't think you'll get much out of the shuttle with overclocking, tho i am happy to be proved wrong...

Hope this helps
    TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

wol
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TiG
    ...and again i'd agree with austin on the 2.6Gig part. I don't think you'll get much out of the shuttle with overclocking, tho i am happy to be proved wrong...

Hope this helps
    TiG
    Ok thanks guys, think ill go for the Maxxy as well, looked through some reviews and its about 4db louder than the others but quite a bit better perfomance wise.

As for the CPU, the reason i threw a 3g in there was for the HT. Would be nice to have that.

Final question, this is my first pentium beast since my celly 300a so:

It says this on some of the sites that ive looked at CPUs on:

'Note - Only suitable for running at 800MHz FSB in motherboards that are natively capable of 800MHz FSB and verified as supporting this CPU such as Canterwood and Springdale based motherboards.'

Now the board can take 800mhz FSB but its the second part that confuses me!

Help

Wol

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Don't know what the 800 3 giggers are like, but the 533 turned my shuttle into a toaster - Not super hot, but enough to force the speed guardian to run at a higher RPM than normal.

I've downgraded it now, back to a 2.4 P4 (but mainly because I managed to swap the 533 3 gigger for a 800 3 gigger! )

wol
    Thanks
    Ok, think ill go for a 2.6 then. Not too hot but still nice and fast and i think ill live without HT for a bit!

So the revised list:

Maxtor Maxxline 2 SATA 250gigger,
    2.6 800mhz P4,
    1gb ddr400 (dont know which brand yet) Dual channel.

Wol

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Wol,

All the P4C class chips have Hyperthreading.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Banned
    Thanks
    Yep, all the P4C (the 800FSB ones) come with HT. As for SATA I would advise it so long as you rem there's no real gains in perf, my main point was that Maxtor's SATA drives don't work with their Acoustic Man sw so if you find them too noisy you can't turn them down. I've used a wide variety of Maxtor HDs and find all the 7200's too be too noisy despite them using FDB and being knwon to be quieter than WD. I am particularly fussy though and want my rig to run as quiet as the old P100-200mhz PCs did (those were the days). The Maxtor SATA does run a little quieter than the ATA133 (ie PATA) 7200-8 I owned previously but I'd still prefer a slight perf hit for SILENCE MODE. Ah well...

wol
    Thanks
    Yep, all the P4C (the 800FSB ones) come with HT.
    See what i mean! Pentium newb!

As for SATA ...Acoustic Man sw so if you find them too noisy
    Well SATA is nice cos of the smaller cables, better ventilation as well. A bit annoying, but then anything is going to be quieter than my dual xp beast ive just given up! Cant believe how noisy that was!

Wol

Where'd my avator go?
    Thanks
    Dude. Shuttles run hot [well, hotter than an ATX]. Why do you think I'm getting shot of mine! And where's this money for a Gig of DDR400 coming from? You been down to Kings Cross recently?

Thread Information