Thread: Laptop Upgrading advice

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks

Laptop Upgrading advice

Whatup guys?

Got myself a pretty cheap laptop second hand in town earlier in the week here, basic specs are 2.6 celeron, 30gb HDD, dvd rom, 256ram, 15 inch, and its a toshiba satelitte pro, SPA40, and has a max of onboard 64MB intel extreme grfx

i got this basically for doing my uni work on the move, c++, photo editing, that sort of thing, but also maybe so when i go back home i could possibly play a bit of WoW with my mate at his house.

i knew when i got the laptop that 256mb wasnt really that amazing for photo editing or anything anyway intensive, so ive deccided to put another 256 in there, because its so ridiculously cheap and itd benefit me greatly in all things i do, as XP home here seems to love wasting my ram and at 256mb - 64mb at times, it isnt in great supply

ok so my first small question is, will the 64mb onboard graphics be up to runing wow? it says minimum is 32mb that supports DX9.0C, ive 9.0 atm, just need to update that, got 9.0C here somewhere, pretty sure that 512mb and 2.6 celeron will be enough for it, but are the graphics enough? i dont care what it runs at, just want playbale FPS at 800x600 with everything turned down low, i can enjoy the game on my main machine beside me here.

ok my second and main question really is, what ram do i want?i know i want 256mb to make it up to 512 is this ram what i need?

this is the ram i have now

thanks for the advice in advance guys, and sorry for the terrible typing, these laptop keyboards are hard to get used to
    Under Development...

Thanks
    The RAM you link to should be ok but it wont be guaranteed to play nicely with your existing 256MB stick. You might be better off buying a 512MB stick and selling the 256 that's currently in there (or if they work together then you could choose to run 768MB)

Thanks
    i dont wanna spend any more than i am now, im pretty skint as it is before buying the laptop, even more skint after buying this i think, 256 is nice and cheap, and if it works well together, and plays wow fine ill sell them both and get 2 512's, just need more clarification on the compatibility of the ram, i though it 'should' too but was after someone who's amybe done thsi before in a toshiba laptop, also more info on wow running on a laptop, i know Stoo uses an ibook of some sort but not sure what graphics it had in it, thanks for your input,

cin >> more input
    Under Development...

Thanks
    went ahead and bought the 256MB stick last night, not got much to loose really, waws under £20 all in, had a play about with the laptop, after tqaking the battery out of course, then taking it apart needlessly from underneath to find the hard drive, the dvd rom and numerous other compartments, i looked at the manual and located it underneath teh keyboard the ram is very very very small and the corsair one form scan looked much bigger lol. any more advice would be great.

Rich
    Under Development...

Thread Information