Thread: An Upgrade, of sorts.

Where'd my avator go?
    Thanks

An Upgrade, of sorts [AOpen AX4SPE knowledge?]

I’m upgrading.

This is my current system:
    P4 2.4, Samsung 512MB DDR333 Pc2700, Shuttle SB51G, 9500 Pro, 120GB WD, DVD.

The plan, and rough prices.

Mobo: AOpen AX4SPE: £80
    PSU: 420w thermaltake: £40
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A Aluminium Super Tower : £120
    Mem: 2*512MB DDR400: £120

I’m adding a DVD-R. The Processor is being carried over, along with the graphics card and HD. I’m adding a SATA 60GB harddrive for OS and a few choice, regularly played games. The 120GB one will be used for everything else.

My issues are mainly with the mobo. Does anyone have this? From what I can tell, it does allow for both ‘normal’ HDs and SATA HDs as I’m running both, and want both connected. And I think it copes with DDR400 running dual 512MB too. This correct? [Forgive my lack of knowledge. It’s something I’d like to change..] I’ve got an internal modem [for the moment] Does it have space for this?

The plan is to upgrade the Pentium to a 3Ghz in late spring. I’m sure my 2.4 is more than capable of what I ask till then, possibly more so. IT’s only 533FSB, and with 800FSB out, despite the temptation to get one now, I can wait. I’m content with my current performance playing Nr2003 and Photoshop. The graphics card will get upgraded come Summer. Those 9800 XTs look tasty, but not yet. I’m hoping for a price drop. And besides, I’m hoping the mobo/mem will allow my 9500Pro to do it’s job to it’s full extent.

And despite it’s cool size, I don’t think Shuttles are for me. For now.

So: is the mobo up to the job. Can it cope with DDr400 mem, and an upgrade to a P4 3.06 [or something with 800FSB]
    Can the mem cope with a 3.06 or P4 800FSB?
    Will an aluminium case be 5-10c cooler than a plastic one?

Thanks in advance. Some of the help given here is top notch.
    Last edited by Maffu; 25-10-2003 at 03:35 PM.

Where'd my avator go?
    Thanks
    So, no one knows anything about the board? I've found that it does support 400 for the moment, and can take 800. It runs dual DDR400. But everyone I speak to seems to think ASUS are the holy grail. Anyone got, or can speak a good word about this board? Rerviews on the web seem to rate it highly. Plus, it's £30 less than the ASUS, which can go towards memory.

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    Might be worth looking at the Abit Is7-e it takes my p4 up for 3.69ghz without much problem Its a great board!

~£70

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/mothe...YPE=Socket+478

Ethos

Thanks
    Why are you spending £120 on that monstrosity of a thermaltake case?

Could get a lack widow for £15 less and spend the money you saved on an Abit/Asus board...

...or get the Antec plusview jobby that comes with a 430W Trupower anyway for £105...sadly not an aluminium case though, but it'd save you £50-60...you planning on moving it around much? The aluminium might make the difference -worth thinking about...

In terms of temperature the airflow of the antec case is good enough anyway.

If you're stuck on that thermaltake thing however...that's probably a good enough system - I'd just push towards an ASUS/Abit mobo for ~£100

Where'd my avator go?
    Thanks
    Found it new for £88! w00t.

Why not the AOpen one? It is a case of buying the ASUS because everyone has them? I'm still trying to find a bad word for the AOpen board. Seems to beat the ABit one.

Thread Information