• Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

Question What do you think?

I was experiencing a number of problems which I ended up putting down to my ASUS 8N-SLI. These were:

1. Long-running problem with my RAM, in that my Crucial Ballistix had never been happy, and things had progressed so that the board was saying its default was 3-3-3-12 2T, and was not happy at running 1T. Running with 1 stick made no difference. I've tried the sticks in my old NF7-S v2 and they are recognised correctly and happy to run at 4/3 (i.e. around 220) at their default timings (important - see later).

2. Suddenly my Audigy 2 card would not work in the PCI slots. Other PCI cards run OK (but of course Creative cards are notoriously fussy).

3. Also suddenly my Optical drives didn't like IDE0, although they were happy to run on IDE1.

4. I got a number of crashes and then BSODs.

Monday I sent the mobo back to Scan (plus CPU, but this appears innocent?). Tuesday I get EMail saying NFF, please send payment. But when I go on the Scan site it says that the Memory was running at 216 when the FSB was set to default 200.

OK guys, I know what I think, but I'd appreciate hearing what you think the problem is and what you think Scan should do.

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sounds like chipset gone mad for me. Can you be a bit more detail ? What CPU, how long has you have problem with the RAM ?

*It sounds wierd to me that memory run @ 216 when HTT is 200 ??? New kind of divider ?

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    RAM has had problems running at rated speed for some months, but as I wasn't having any other problems, I wasn't sure whether it was mobo, RAM, or just some incompatibility between the two. First it started slowing the timings, at least three slowdowns, going from 2-2-2-6 1T down to 3-3-3-12 2T, but the big slowdown was recent.

Yeah it is weird. Even more weird is that apeart from the memory running too fast (which shouldn't upset the Ballistix anyway), Scan reported no problems with IDE0. They also said they didn't have problems with PCI slots, but I don't think they tried an Audigy.

I'm guessing that the PCI bus is also running a bit fast. I know from the old days that some PCI cards are happy running at 70+. while some will balk at even 68.

Thread Information