Thread: Power supply question

Thanks

Power supply question

Hey all, just wondering, after biting the bullet and buying a new amd 3000+ venice and motherboard, will the power supply that is with what im using now (a celeron 1.8 GHZ) work with the new chip and board or will i need a new one? Im guessing yes...

If so, could anybody possibly recommemnd me a new PSU , what i need and where to get it? And finally, i want to over clock this too, from 1.81GHZ to about 2.45GHZ which should make it eqivilant to about 3700+?

Cheers!

Kev
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 21-11-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themaidenmaniac
    Hey all, just wondering, after biting the bullet and buying a new amd 3000+ venice and motherboard, will the power supply that is with what im using now (a celeron 1.8 GHZ) work with the new chip and board or will i need a new one? Im guessing yes...
    without knowing what PSU you are using now & what board/gfx card that you will be using ...

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    there may be a slight posibility that it would work, but you would not want to do that. I guess you have a cheap PSU (your pc from an OEM) and this would not even have to be very powerfull for a celly 1.8 .

Basically, you need a new PSU. These days 400w is a minimum and 480w is the norm. I like the tagan 2force. You may also want to look at modular PSUs as these allow you to only use the cables you need and so does not clutter up your PC. Tagan also do one of there, authough it is not as good power wise ans the 2force.

Both these PSUs are available from www.scan.co.uk, which you should get free delivery to once you reach 25 posts.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nvening
    there may be a slight posibility that it would work, but you would not want to do that. I guess you have a cheap PSU (your pc from an OEM) and this would not even have to be very powerfull for a celly 1.8 .

Basically, you need a new PSU. These days 400w is a minimum and 480w is the norm. I like the tagan 2force. You may also want to look at modular PSUs as these allow you to only use the cables you need and so does not clutter up your PC. Tagan also do one of there, authough it is not as good power wise ans the 2force.

Both these PSUs are available from www.scan.co.uk, which you should get free delivery to once you reach 25 posts.
    Interesting! So 25 posts and free delivery? Is it linked with this forum then?
    Also, whats the difference between the tagan at £60 and this one for £15! Also, any way to work out what wattage mine is now? Bios? Or will it say on the damn thing if i crack it open?

Thanks!
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 21-11-2005 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themaidenmaniac
    Also, whats the difference between the tagan at £60 and this one for £15! Also, any way to work out what wattage mine is now? Bios? Or will it say on the damn thing if i crack it open?
    Probably about 4x the weight & 3x the warranty for 1 thing ...
    Your PSU should say on it somewhere mfr & specs.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Registered+
    Thanks
    Enemax PSU's are pretty good, but tend to be more on the expencive side.

Thanks
    Basically, cheap PSUs are no good. There quotes Wattage is generally unacheavable for it and if it did try to reach anything like its full quoted wattage then it is likely to blow up! (this is very likely to happen anyway with a cheap PSU). EG a 400w cheapo PSU may only reach 200W and be unstable, dangerous, and a waste of money.

You need a good PSU. Cheap ones just are not any good, instead of me blabbering on even more how about looking at this: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.ph...9&redirect=yes
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information