Thread: Socket A CPUs

Thanks

Socket A CPUs

Are AMD planning to release any faster Socket A CPUs or are they now only going to make 64 bit CPUs that need a new motherboard?

Banned
    Thanks
    I think XP3200+ is going to be as good as it gets, SktA is simply not worth the time nor investment required to exceed XP3200+. Plus they wouldn't want to overshadow the Athlon64-XP3200+. It would be feasible for them to produce a 2.4ghz (XP3400+?) SktA CPU as some people can get that from their current CPUs, it would be as feasible as the TbredB XP2800+ was. I doubt they'll go for it though.

Ravens Nest
    I reckon they will have new cpu's for a while yet, Why release a new duron if you arent going to support socket A anymore?

Unless it's just to clear out there Athlon XP stocks..

Thanks
    has anybody seen the 1.8 durons on sale in the UK? They were apparently aimed for the developing market such as Eastern Europe......but sometimes my budget comes into that group!!!

Thanks
    I dont think the Athlon XP will go higher tbh, maybe 1 more but its unlikely as the A64/FX51 will be there top chip and everything under that will be duron based IMO...

Banned
    Thanks
    The AthlonXP is the new Duron. The new Durons are only really present to avoid binning all the Tbred chips possessing some faulty cache. You still can't beat the AthlonXP for sheer price to perf, fantastic value.

Ravens Nest
    Ah so the Athlon FX is the top CPU, the Athlon XP is the new budget chip, and the duron are just faulty athlon XP's with half the cache.

o.k.

Thanks
    They're stopping the making of 32bit which makes me wonder if i should get 64bit now.

Banned
    Thanks
    Durons have a quarter the L2 cache compared to Tbreds which should knock perf around 10% clock for clock, but the 0.13mu ones tend to o/c a little further (if they're based off TbredB) so it can even out a little.

Now is NOT a good time to switch to Athlon64 as it will be moving to 939pin VERY soon and that is the Socket it is likely to stick with for the long term. It will allow the use of std RAM (ie non-ECC) and be Dual Channel, seriously wait!

Thanks
    AMD are set to release a new socket A core soon to replace the TBredB if I didnt get my wires crossed reading 'quirer this week?

Tho as stated above I dont think anyone is expecting any speed increases.

Socket A is still a good entry level platform for peeps looking to spend little more than £100 on cpu+mobo combined. Its days are numbered, but when you buy budget, the mobo rarely lasts more than 1 chip anyway.

Banned
    Thanks
    I think that's just the Thorton based AthlonXP which are virtually identical to the TbredB because they use Bartons where some of the cache was faulty and hence disable half of it, so for all intents and purposes it's simply a TbredB although the larger core may help to disipate heat slightly better. It's much the same as the new Durons really being a Tbred with some of the cache disabled making it perfectly equivilent to the old Durons (except now they tend to be 266FSB and 0.13mu).

It's very true that SktA is breathing its last breaths but it will still be popular for a good 12 months and offers unbeatable value. Totally destroys Intel's Celerons which is really where they're becoming to be aimed at. Athlon64 is designed to tackle Intel's big boys but neither of those avenues are likely to offer any more longevity as Athlon64 will be moving to a superior 939pin Skt and it seems very few current 800FSB P4 mobos will take the faster P4's (3.4ghz+).

Thanks
    • silentphoenix's system
      • CPU:
      • Phenom X4 945
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4 Gb Corsair 1666 Mhz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80 Gb SSD + 2 Tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PCS+ 5850
      • PSU:
      • Antec TP 650w
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241PW
      • Internet:
      • 12 Mb/s
    Hmmmm... I see what ppl are saying about XP's being the new Durons, but I geuss that AMD will be making some 64bit 'Durons' aswell (make use of all there faulty FX chips).
    Genetically modified crops - answer to starvation in Africa?

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by silentphoenix
    Hmmmm... I see what ppl are saying about XP's being the new Durons, but I geuss that AMD will be making some 64bit 'Durons' aswell (make use of all there faulty FX chips).
    Things could soon be as complex and flooded as the gfx market LOL!

Thread Information