Thread: Windows wont Load

Thanks

Question Windows wont Load

Hi all ive just upgraded my nephews PC, New Board MSI K7N2 Delta, Athlon 2400xp. The rest of the Hardware Geforce 440mx Seagate baracuda 40gb HD e.t.c, came from his old PC. My problem is this the New PC Boots go's through Post then in stead of windows opening i get the following message.
    We apologise for the inconvience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
    If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedlly,or was shut down to protect files and folders, choose Last Known good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
    If a previous startup attempt was interupted due to power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem choose Start Windows Normally

safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt
    Last knowen Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

I've tryed safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, Last knowen good configuration, and Start Windows Normally and all that happens is it Post's again then returns to yhe above message ??. I can enter BIOS and the Hard drive is detected as normal. the OS is windows XP home Edition with servise pack 1. Has anyone got any idea whats wrong ??, any advice would be most apreciated thanks in advance

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    windows doesn't cope very well with changes of motherboard chipset.

you can try a few things (boot the XP cd, get to the recovery console, run chkdsk on the drive), but your best bet is to put the disk in another machine, back up importnat data, and format it

Thanks
    • da_ging's system
      • CPU:
      • E5200 @ 3.75Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB kingston HyperX 8500
      • Storage:
      • 2*WD640gb in Raid 0 +500gb 32mb seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 Maxcore OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650w TX
      • Case:
      • Stacker 831 black
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" fujitsu 3230t LCD 1920*1080
      • Internet:
      • 8mb
    yep as said either totally format and reload or u can repair the current installation by booting from the xp cd and when it says enter to repair or escape not to (or something like that) u just hit enter and it will self repair the windows installation

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    you have to re-install windows when you replace the motherboard (unless its the same chipset on the old/new board - then you can get around the problem). The motherboard has got to be the most important part of your pc - it's like your PCs 'body'. If you assume windows to be a 'brain' you can't just take it from one body and stick it in another then assume it will work, it needs re-programming. (hmm possibly poor analogy there ;P)

Anyway you need to re-install windows, a full format is very very advisable as that will clear out all the old gunk but a normal re-install woulld probably be ok for this situation

Thanks
    If you still have the old kit, you could go back and remove the old motherboard/chipset drivers, and try again. But like they said above, backing up and reformatting is probably the best option. A clean install is always good .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marko
    Hi all ive just upgraded my nephews PC, New Board MSI K7N2 Delta, Athlon 2400xp. The rest of the Hardware Geforce 440mx Seagate baracuda 40gb HD e.t.c, came from his old PC. My problem is this the New PC Boots go's through Post then in stead of windows opening i get the following message.
    We apologise for the inconvience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
    If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedlly,or was shut down to protect files and folders, choose Last Known good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
    If a previous startup attempt was interupted due to power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem choose Start Windows Normally

safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt
    Last knowen Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

I've tryed safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, Last knowen good configuration, and Start Windows Normally and all that happens is it Post's again then returns to yhe above message ??. I can enter BIOS and the Hard drive is detected as normal. the OS is windows XP home Edition with servise pack 1. Has anyone got any idea whats wrong ??, any advice would be most apreciated thanks in advance
    Hi Marko,

I've got exactly the same problem. Just wondering if you solved it? and if so, how?

Cheers,

Kev (i've pm'd you too)

Thread Information