Thread: Geforce FX5200 in a small form factor Shuttle PC

Thanks

Post Geforce FX5200 in a small form factor Shuttle PC

I recently built a small form-factor HTPC, using a Shuttle SK43G barebones system. My mate gave me his old GeForce FX5200 graphics card to use in it, and using a DVI to HDMI cable on my Samsung 26" LCD, the picture is excellent.

Unfortunately, the fan on the graphics card makes a horrible whirring noise on start up, and is rather loud during normal useage.

Should I replace the fan, or get a new graphics card?

If getting a new fan is an option, could anyone recommend one that would fit in this small case, the stock fan only fits in now by a few mm.

Thanks

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    Hi mate - I've got loads of experience with Shuttles, so should be able to help(!).

OK, sounds like your card is about £40 to replace. The fan could be knackered - remove the card, give it a good clean on the blades using a cottonbud, and then try blowing out all the dust that's probably on it. This can reduce noise by quite a bit. If it's still noisy, then think about replacing it. The FX5200 series is not a performance card, so you should be able to easily find a passive card that will fit a Shuttle absolutely fine. Expect to pay perhaps a bit more for a passive one.

I wouldn't bother with getting a new fan for such a low-spec card, tbh.

Thanks
    Actually if the HS is not too small it will probably run fine with the fan unplugged. Don't game with it though. If you need any kind of performance at all I'd buy a new card.

Thanks
    Have a FX5200 running my HTPC and its passive, if the heatsink is big enough then it should be fine passive (mine heatsink covers most of the card)

After half a days use the heatsink is not even warm.

Try it without the heatsink and if it get too warm then you need a fan other wisepassive will be fine.

Thanks
    can any of you provide a link to a heatsink for passive cooling, that'd fit a shuttle case?

I got a new fan for the graphics card on the cheap, but it still seems noisy. Maybe it is the shuttle ICE fan...

thanks for all your help

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    This should work very well without much modification.

http://www.vantecusa.com/p_ccb_a4p.html

You really need a new card though if you game at all.

Thanks
    That's the one I bought! Got it for £7 (ex postage).

Thread Information