Thread: Lite-On CD-rw probs

Ant
    Thanks

Lite-On CD-rw probs

Yo,

I have just bought a n Lite-On cd-rw, as I thought my much older Sony drive had died...

I currently have both my DVD-rom and cd-writer on the same channel, cd-rw master, and dvd slave. Due to the layout of my case, its the easiest option, beside I don't burn on the fly, so i would assume thats okay.

Anyhoo, when both drives are connected, the lite-on won't even attempt to copy anything, (Gives me the error "Disc Changed" in Nero) even if the source is the HD and not another CD. As soon as i disconnect the DVD drive, it copies fine!

Any ideas whats causing the cd-rw not to like my dvd drive? anything in the bios anyone knows about? Its getting rather fustrating having to unplug my dvd drive everytime i wanna burn a disk! grrr

Thanks

Thanks
    • Merlin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M3A78-PRO
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 920
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb (2x2Gb) Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 780G integrated Radeon HD3200
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Power Series 400w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC7 Plus (Black)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Home SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E383 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    this isnt really an answer, but couldnt you put the cd-rw on the other ide channel?
    For joy, apparently, it was all Franny could do to hold the phone, even with both hands.

Ant
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Merlin
    this isnt really an answer, but couldnt you put the cd-rw on the other ide channel?
    hmm, not really tbh... Have two hard drives on that channel, and even if i decided to swop around a bit, it would be impossible as my hd's are too far from my cd drives...

Thanks
    Is the DVD drive a pioneer?

Because I know at least one of them is ATA-66, which causes conflicts when on the same channel as an ATA-33 drive.

Ant
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TeePee
    Is the DVD drive a pioneer?

Because I know at least one of them is ATA-66, which causes conflicts when on the same channel as an ATA-33 drive.
    Yeah it is! I was just thinking that! Is there any way to 'force' the pioneer to run as an ata-33 drive? What are all the different modes all about in the bios? Is that anyway related?

Banned
    Thanks
    Ensure you use the latest drivers and that your version of Nero supports your CDRW properly (presumably it does if it works with DVD unplugged). There's an outside chance the ATA cable could be faulty, I take it you double checked master/slave settings? If you check in Windows Device Manager you should be able to force ATA33 operation, all the BIOS usually lets you do is set UDMA(33/66/100/133) to AUTO or DISABLED which is useless.

Ant
    Thanks
    Yep all been tried, austin... I had a brief look in Device Manager this morning before work, but was unable to see any force ata-33 option anywhere, where should I be looking exactly? (Win XP btw)

I suppose the last option I have is to use an ATA-33 cable instead? Not that I want to cos they look yuk!

ant

Banned
    Thanks
    Load up Dev Man and then dbl click 'IDE/ATAPI Devices'. Under Primary and Secondary Channels you should see 'Device 0' (master) and 'Device 1' (slave) with current mode shown and the option to select the transfer mode (may be limited to UDMA or PIO like the BIOS though). You could try mobo drivers or sw for help. Best of luck!

Ant
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Load up Dev Man and then dbl click 'IDE/ATAPI Devices'. Under Primary and Secondary Channels you should see 'Device 0' (master) and 'Device 1' (slave) with current mode shown and the option to select the transfer mode (may be limited to UDMA or PIO like the BIOS though). You could try mobo drivers or sw for help. Best of luck!
    Cheers for that! I had to 'update' the driver first as I just had "nVidia ide controller... or something" before I was able to change anything on the different channels... I set the CD-writer to use PIO mode and not UDMA, and that has worked! I dunno what it does or what it is exactly, but it works, so I'm happy!

Thanks
    Ant

Thanks
    Ahh you using the NF2 drivers.
    Install the MS IDE driver over the NF2 one and use UDMA, otherwise you'll use up a load of CPU cycles in PIO mode.

Its a known issue with them and some drives. I only had to do the same thing yesterday for a friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Ant
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Agent
    Ahh you using the NF2 drivers.
    Install the MS IDE driver over the NF2 one and use UDMA, otherwise you'll use up a load of CPU cycles in PIO mode.

Its a known issue with them and some drives. I only had to do the same thing yesterday for a friend
    Oooooh, Okay, I'll do try that, cheeeers!

Ant
    Thanks
    Works lovely now. Cheers Guys!

Thanks
    resintall the nero again. I think the configuration is preset to your previous Sony drive.

Thread Information