Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Motherboard for AMD FX60?

Registered+
    Thanks

Which Motherboard for AMD FX60?

Hi all

My first post on here! Does anyone actually know if the FX60 is a socket 939? I read somewher it was gonna be a Socket 940 but perhaps I just dreamt that?! Sad dream I know!

If it is Socket 939, I'm wondering which Motherboard would best support it? The Asus A8N32 SLi?

Cheers

Thanks
    Its a socket 939

I would treat yourself to a DFI SLi Expert
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, I will be trying one out as soon as my company gets em. I've tested the DFI SLi Expert and to be honest, it's not worth paying the extra for the Expert. I'd go with the normal DR version.

Thanks
    The Asus like you said. Though you have more money than sense, if your getting a FX60.

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21
    Though you have more money than sense, if your getting a FX60.
    Check his system spec out...

Thanks

FX-60??? You need a doctor, not a motherboard!

I am an AMD Solution Provider, but the stupidity of the FX-60 is unforgivable. The idiot that works for AMD who's idea it was to make a dual-core FX should be lit on fire. What a complete moron!

AMD had a good (and correct) marketing strategy with the FX (enthusiasts), X2 (professionals), A64 (gamers) and Sempron (budget) lines. Now they will release a CPU that is just plain rediculous! It is a CPU without a market. And the only reason I can see for doing it is greed and stupidity!

AMD must have hired some video-gaming child who convinced them that a dual-core with an unlocked multiplier has a market. The FX is an enthusiast chip (the only group that could possibly benefit from an unlocked multi). If you are not overclocking and running at least phase-change cooling an unlocked multi is completely useless!

So I say, if you think you need an FX-60, you need mental help ASAP!

Oh, and going from an FX-57 to an FX-60 is a downgrade for an enthusiast. The FX-57 will destroy the FX-60 as an overclocker's chip (enthusiast=overclocker, not gamer kiddies).
    Last edited by StormPC; 10-01-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21
    The Asus like you said. Though you have more money than sense, if your getting a FX60.
    Perks of being Managing Director of a gaming PC company mate. I probably won't keep the FX60 but I'll certainly put it through it's paces and run my own tests.

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    Best. Job. Ever.

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    Damn I posted twice, may as well do something useful with it while it's here... which company do you work for TunnelRat?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TunnelRat
    Perks of being Managing Director of a gaming PC company mate. I probably won't keep the FX60 but I'll certainly put it through it's paces and run my own tests.
    Oh, and you already have the best motherboard for any S939 chip!

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Me want that job, what did u do @ uni ?
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    I am an AMD Solution Provider, but the stupidity of the FX-60 is unforgivable. The idiot that works for AMD who's idea it was to make a dual-core FX should be lit on fire. What a complete moron!

AMD had a good (and correct) marketing strategy with the FX (enthusiasts), X2 (professionals), A64 (gamers) and Sempron (budget) lines. Now they will release a CPU that is just plain rediculous! It is a CPU without a market. And the only reason I can see for doing it is greed and stupidity!

AMD must have hired some video-gaming child who convinced them that a dual-core with an unlocked multiplier has a market. The FX is an enthusiast chip (the only group that could possibly benefit from an unlocked multi). If you are not overclocking and running at least phase-change cooling an unlocked multi is completely useless!

Oh, and going from an FX-57 to an FX-60 is a downgrade for an enthusiast. The FX-57 will destroy the FX-60 as an overclocker's chip (enthusiast=overclocker, not gamer kiddies).
    I always feel that you speak as though your not on an enthusiast site. Of course people who have the money and are enthusiasts will get this chip. Its a great chip imho - and thats just looking at the benchmarks. Games are definately going the multi-threaded road and more and more programs are beginning to be written with more than one thread. The power user who wants decent multi-tasking/threaded and single threaded performance with price no object will get an FX-60 because its a great chip

Anyhoo - back on topic - The Sli-DR is a great motherboard and I wouldn't settle for less than a DFI if I was even comtemplating overclocking an FX-60
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC

Hi Storm

I didn't actually say I agreed with AMD's decision to release the FX60, but because they have released it, people will want to buy it. After testing it, my company will probably recommend to our customers that they do not go for the FX60 as thats how we do business, giving people our honest recommendations. However, if someone blantantly wants to spec the FX60 then we will certainly include it in the build.

Stupidity it may be, but I'm sure you'll find a few machines sporting the FX60 at the Cebit exhibition this year!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NightshadowUK
    Damn I posted twice, may as well do something useful with it while it's here... which company do you work for TunnelRat?
    Unfortunately I can't advertise my company on here as even telling you the name could get me banned from the forum. I'm sure you could find 'other' means to contact me if you really wanted to know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TunnelRat
    Hi Storm

Stupidity it may be, but I'm sure you'll find a few machines sporting the FX60 at the Cebit exhibition this year!
    It is stupid for sure.

I agree that people will buy it, but not because it is good. They will see how expensive it is and assume it is the best, when in fact it is not in most cases.

The kind of people who will buy this chip are those who want to make people say "WOW" as if buying these chips is amazing in some way.

I am sure I will have many requests for this chip, but I will discourage my customers from buying this because it has no real value. What AMD has done with this chip is to give Intel a price-point in which Intel actually represents a better value. Before the release of this chip Intel had only marketing hype.

kempez815,

I do not consider enthusiasts to be merely "fiddlers", nor does AMD. We consider enthusiast to be extreme overclockers and modders. If you've never done a vmod in your life or you don't use DI, PC or LN2 to cool your system on a regular basis you do not benefit from an unlocked multiplier. This is the primary market for the FX.

I can understand why you hope and believe that multithreaded apps will soon be the norm, but it is just not true. It's all marketing BS.

Thanks
    Anyone who is thinking of getting an FX-60 should wait for M2 and the FX-62 which is just around the corner.

No more athlon processors are coming out on skt939. Thats it now so there.
    Gaming PC: Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.4 Ghz Stock; Shuttle SN85G4V3; Club 3D X800XT; 2x1Gb OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum 2-3-2-5; SB Audigy 2 ZS; WD Raptor 150GB; Maxtor DM10 200Gb; Pioneer DVR 110

Media PC: Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz; Shuttle SN45GV2; Geforce 2 MX; 2x256Mb OCZ PC3500 CAS2; Seagate Bararcuda 160Gb; NEC DVD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information