Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclockers.co.uk - The Saga Continues.

Thanks
    • da_ging's system
      • CPU:
      • E5200 @ 3.75Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB kingston HyperX 8500
      • Storage:
      • 2*WD640gb in Raid 0 +500gb 32mb seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 Maxcore OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650w TX
      • Case:
      • Stacker 831 black
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" fujitsu 3230t LCD 1920*1080
      • Internet:
      • 8mb
    the money they took for testing and then returing the bits back to u ,were u informed that u would be charged this?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Twigman
    So when I accept a parcel I recieve in the post I have to sign for it (if its RMSD or whatever), and I also write unchecked in the box as well, so that you are covered.
    Er, no.

I probably should have said, but that post was long enough as it was

"Acceptance" in terms of contracts is not the same as physically accepting the good. The two have no direct correlation. "Acceptance" in the legal sense is a LOT more complex than that.

Basically, you "accept" goods when :-

1. You indicate to the seller that you have accepted them, or
    2. You do anything with or to the goods that is inconsistent with them still being the property of the seller, or
    3. A "reasonable" time has elapsed without you notify the seller that you reject the goods.
    This is mandated by Section 35 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

You can, for instance, imply acceptance by making an inspection of goods. If the subsequent fault is one that an your inspection should have revealed, then you could not subsequently reject the goods and rescind the contract on tha basis of that fault. In this sense, you are sometimes better off not inspecting goods. If you do inspect goods before buying, do so properly!!.

It should also be noted that I'm referring to consumer purchases with most of my comments here. If you buy as part of a business, a completely different set of criteria will apply. You lose the protection of the consumer protection legislation, like the various Sale of Goods Acts, and subsequent embellishments. These are designed to protect consumers from exploitation by businesses, who by their nature are assumed to have a tighter grasp of the nature of contract law. However, business to business is a much more even playing field.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TeePee
    The distance selling regulations do not specify that goods should be unopened, but only in 'as sold' condition. Many retailers consider this to mean unopened, and again this remains unchallenged in court. It is, IMO against the spirit of the regulations, which are designed to protect consumers.
    I absolutely agree with that. Sooner or later it will get challenged, and I can't wait to see that happen. However it gets clarified, it needs to be clarified so we all know where we stand.

Thanks
    Surely they must be required to inform you that they are going to, or have charged your card?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    Could you please clear up a lot of questions and tell us the names of these two PC shops, and the power supply you were using to power your system?

Banned
    Thanks
    Saracen - Although I doubt they would agree to it, I'd be glad to do as you suggested. See, I don't want to cause trouble, I just want to get my system working, so I hope the good works, just as much as Overclockers do.

When they returned them as working, I really wanted to think that the local PC repair firm was wrong. I sent them to be tested again, at a different firm, and I really wanted to pick up the phone and hear them tell me I'd made a mistake, and the PC repair firm had made a mistake.

They didn't of course, they just became the 5th or 6th group of people, who's opinion I respect, to tell me that these items were dead, dead, dead.

See, if these items work, as Overclockers say, then there has to be a feasable reason why I can't get them to work, non of my mates can in their systems, and 2 repair firms have stated that they don't work.

I can't think of one. It's a puzzle as to why Overclockers would claim that they do, but what can I say apart from... they don't.

Thanks for taking the time to post, by the way. Your comments are welcomed, but like I say, although Overclockers have no reason to lie, I simply can not think of a reason why they could get a graphics card and motherboard to work, which no-one else can, and which have been confirmed broken by everyone else who has seen them.

The repair firm who first told me the parts were broken are Legend JSM, who's website can be found here: http://www.legendjsm.co.uk/

The Power Supply was also tested by these people (along with the RAM, CPU, etc) and confirmed working.
    Last edited by Stewart; 02-11-2003 at 05:41 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Pigboy
    It is strange how the motherboard and video card dont work, did they both come sealed in there packets. The odd's of both items not working are high!
    Have you read the thread? Both items did work; the entire system worked perfectly for 3 weeks. It then stopped working, I took it to Legend, and they told me what had broken.

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by da_ging
    the money they took for testing and then returing the bits back to u ,were u informed that u would be charged this?
    No, I found out when I noticed that my Credit Card bill was £33 higher than it should be, and then opened the box (which I assumed was the replacement items, as they never told me they were returning the same ones) and found out what had happened, and the charges they were applying.

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Caged
    Could you please clear up a lot of questions and tell us the names of these two PC shops, and the power supply you were using to power your system?
    I could yes, but can you tell me why you want to know? The power supply has been confirmed working by the same repair firms who told me the 9800pro and ABit NF7-S were not, and it has, since my system broke, been powering my system with some spares lent to me by a good friend, without issue.

Its an Enermax power supply, but to be honest, it matters not, as I know it works, and works perfectly.

Now, would you like to know what brand of CD-Writer I was using?

Updates will continue to flow, ladies (are there any?) and gentlemen.

Thanks
    Have you read the thread? Both items did work; the entire system worked perfectly for 3 weeks. It then stopped working, I took it to Legend, and they told me what had broken.
    If i hadnt read the thread i wouldnt have asked the earlier questions

I was referring to after the items stopped working

i.e its odd that the video card and motherboard stopped working and nothing else. Products of two different manufacturers.

If they came sealed the chances of both these items failing at the same time are slim.

Oh and btw i wouldnt call this place http://www.legendjsm.co.uk/ highly respectable. They sell a small range of pre built systems and low end bits. And £29.50 for co.uk domain registration? Are they being serious!!!
    Insert signature here.

Banned
    Thanks
    You are not in a position to call Legend repectable or not, as you've glanced at the website once. I'm not interested in what they sell, as I used them as a repair firm not a retail outlet.

Where repairs are concerned, they are respectable, highly respectable.

You don't seem to have much to add to the thread, to be honest Pigboy. You just seem intent on questioning what I say, with silly generalisations and comments, like Legend not being respected because they charge £29.50 for domain registration.

I've used them for 7 years, so I think I am better placed than you to make a judgment on their reliablilty.

The most expensive graphics card they stock costs £1899, and then stock 5900Ultras and 9800pros. Hardly 'low end bits', actually seem pretty up-to-date as far as graphics cards go.

As I said, you seem to be intent on making negative comments, for the sake of it, which, to be honest, isn't going to achive anything.

So, unless you have any more opinons on Legend JSM and their respecability after looking at their website once...

Actualy, if you do want to question Legends respectability or refer to their stock as low end bits, then you can email Martin Moyes - martin@legendjsm.co.uk - and I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss it with you.

Maybe he'll give you one of their AMD Athlon 64 FX51 CPU's, or some other piece of low end tat, from their small range. Its only £500 after all... he may even throw in one of their RAID sub systems, I mean they only cost 5 grand. Low end bits indeed.
    Last edited by Stewart; 02-11-2003 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    The most expensive graphics card they stock costs £1899, and then stock 5900Ultras and 9800pros. Hardly 'low end bits', actually seem pretty up-to-date as far as graphics cards go.
    At first glance of there site i noticed none of the items mentioned above. There site shows mainly systems built with low end parts, if they are as good as you say they are perhaps the next time you pop in you could drop the question of why they dont advertise these parts on there site.

My questions may appear to you as being negative, but

In order to get a full grasp of your problem i felt it reasonable to ask them. I mean you told us very little about your situation, just that two random parts by different manufacturers failed and that two highly respectable stores tested them and you've only produced a link to one site which sells computers built with low end parts.

You also told us that the products came sealed in there wrappers so that eliminates the fact they could have been 2nd hand products, and that Overclockers "apparently" got them working.

You didnt however discuss with us what else is in your system, the output power of the psu or brand. Even after several of us asked that question. Or if there was anything you did to the pc leading upto the event i.e. "Overclocking" perhaps?

This discussion is still very much one sided in your favour and its purpose seems only to slander the name of ocuk which could have been done via msn

Apart from that have a nice day, its only a discussion
    Insert signature here.

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Pigboy
    At first glance of there site i noticed none of the items mentioned above. There site shows mainly systems built with low end parts, if they are as good as you say they are perhaps the next time you pop in you could drop the question of why they dont advertise these parts on there site.
    Erm, they do. http://www.legendjsm.co.uk/pc_components.php

Perhaps you could take the time to look, instead of making assumptions before you are in a position to do so.

You also told us that the products came sealed in there wrappers so that eliminates the fact they could have been 2nd hand products, and that Overclockers "apparently" got them working.
    No-one mentioned them not coming in sealed parts. Again, I must ask you to read the thread.

You didnt however discuss with us what else is in your system, the output power of the psu or brand.
    The power supply was Enermax. Again, read the thread.

This discussion is still very much one sided in your favour and its purpose seems only to slander the name of ocuk which could have been done via msn
    Again, you intention to make negative comments for the sake of it is evident. You've questioned Legend's respectability for no reason at all, and then claimed that they sell low end bits, despite the fact that they sell everything you'd expect.

You then claim they don't display them on the site, when they do, then claim I haven't mentioned the power supply, which I have (not that it matters as its fully working), and then claim that I'm trying to slander Overclockers.

Can I ask, are you connected in some way to Overclockers, or is their another reason for your bizarre attitude?

How long did you spend on Legends website? 30 seconds is enough to find those items, so obviously it wasn't that long, and yet this is long enough for you to decide that they sell low end bits, and are not to be respected?

This is hardly a sensible conclusion, so you seem to be commenting with some sort of agenda. I'm not interested what it is, but if you could at least make sure you are in full command of the facts before posting, that would be great.

It’s obvious you dislike the thread and its content for some reason, and you have no other reason for making silly and unfounded generalisations like the ones you have made against Legend. As I said, if you could email them, I'm sure they will answer your questions, and this thread can be used for the discussion of this particular situation, and a place for me to update those interested parties, of which there are many, on any developments.

Oh, and to respond to another of your bizarre acusations - I am not interested in slandering the name of Overclockers, I am interested in getting a replacement or refund on £400 worth of items that I brought from there. As you well know.
    Last edited by Stewart; 02-11-2003 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Well there's seriously to much to anwser

Oh and im not affiliated with overclockers.

notice the sig

No-one mentioned them not coming in sealed parts.
    well perhaps thats the problem, solved?
    Last edited by Yosh; 02-11-2003 at 10:15 AM.
    Insert signature here.

Banned
    Thanks
    There is indeed. So perhaps nothing more need to be said, until Overclockers have been contacted again Monday morning, and I see what they have to say, and decide on a course of action. For all I know, the engineer may have realised his mistake, and it will all blow over. Who knows what Spie will say in his email, if anything?

Time to wait and see, and as I have stated before, I shall use this thread to keep the many interested parties informed, for as long as the mods leave it open.

As for the sealed parts, you misunderstad. They were sealed, perfect sealed infact. This is not an issue; the parts were working when the system was built. No-one is saying that they weren't.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by Stewart; 02-11-2003 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks
    As for the sealed parts, you misunderstad. They were sealed, perfect sealed infact. This is not an issue; the parts were working when the system was built. No-one is saying that they weren't.
    This is what im trying to say, if both the parts were sealed the chances that both parts from different manufacturers going wrong at the same time are probably something like a million to one.

So it must be a compatibility error in your current setup.

And im not being negative if it comes across that way
    Insert signature here.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information