Thread: X800XL restarts... help!

Thanks

X800XL restarts... help!

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an X800XL off a friend, and I'm having some problems.
    I'll go through the whole thing in order:

In a bit of a rush, the first I did was install the card in place of my X550 without doing any driver uninstall. I had some problems with the drivers of course, but generally all worked. I wasn't happy with the benchmarks, so I thought I'd better do a proper re-install.
    I d/l the latest drivers, and a driver cleaner program. Uninstalled all the drivers, CCC, then ran the cleaner program and deleted all remaining driver files.
    restarted and installed the latest drivers - fine, restart.

On restart everything works as normal, but WinXP (32bit) detects some video hardware additional to the X800, the ATI Rage Video (the theatre chip?), and the screen just goes blank and restarts. Does it every boot.

SO I uninstalled again and tried reinstalling but this time without the WDM drivers or catalyst CC. Same thing happened again - detects the theatre chip after the drivers installed, and then black screen and restart.

Funny thing is, when I just pulled out the X550, it musn't have detected the card properly and didn't try to install that stuff, so didn't restart.

Anyone heard of this? Any ideas???
    Last edited by Rack; 11-01-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    I've just been looking at the card, and it doesn't have the rage theatre chip on it. Could be the problem... I thought they all did. But surely it would not detect it then? Think this has the wrong bios or something?

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks
    I had an AGP version and it crashed about 20 times in the games especially , I eventually figured out that the voltage has to be about 1.8 instead of 1.5 in the BIOS, although it still crashes once a week. Not impressed

Thanks
    Running 1.8 volts is very bad. Great way to kill your card though.

Have you tried everything set to stock? The X800 is much more powerful than the X550. You may be having power supply issues. Also, check the VGPU on the X800. It should be around 1.4v. If it's less than 1.35 that could be the problem.

Might be a good idea to download the latest BIOS and flash it.

Thanks
    I have an enermax 500W supply. I reviewed it and it's very good, don't worry

Where can I get bios's for graphics cards, and flash programs? I thought they were just for people wanting to get a cheap XT out of a GTO2...

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks
    I got the latest mainboard BIOS, the PC rebooted, put it at 1.7, I think that's what I meant rather than 1.8, it's been fine since power supply is 450w enermax, rails are good. I think 1.7 is still safe.-?

Obviously something to do with voltage, tried 2 different x800 on the same mainboard originally, rebooted just as often. prizes for the first power supply that has a performance display.

Thread Information