Thread: Thinkpad worth it or not ?

Thanks

Thinkpad worth it or not ?

I am thinking of buying a thinkpad R50e notebook with pentium-M 745, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD and DVDRW for around 1000€s. However for about a 100€s more I can buy a FSC with turion64 1.8, 1024MB RAM, 80GB HDD and ATI MR X700 with 128MB Dedicated Memory. The question is this : Are there any advantages to buying a thinkpad over any other notebook which has similar hardware specification or over a notebook with similar price with better hardware specs? Is the thinkpad worth its higher pricetag for a good reason? Should I be better off buying the fujitsu ???

Thanks
    The Thinkpad is a premium product.

You can't really compare it spec for spec to another non-premium laptop because you're not really comparing like for like. Its like comparing a BMW to a Mondeo - both have 4 wheels, go as quickly as each other but the BMW is more expensive.

It all depends what you're after really - quality or maximum bang per buck. The Thinkpad is superbly engineered, built, reliable product with oodles of thought gone into it. Having said that the R50e isn't the best example of the Thinkpad range in terms of features / value for money and it compares slightly poorly compared to competitors in that price bracket. Better to go something higher up the Thinkpad range if you can.

http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...GHz+%2D+15%2E4

Thanks
    thx for the reply, I think the R series is where my budget lies for a notebook that will do nothing but browse the web, maybe watch a movie as well... I did some price checking and R51/R52 series might be my medicine after all. Do you know of Linux compatibility of R51/R52 notebooks?

Banned
    Thanks
    No disrespect to the people on this forum, but I think you'll get more focused replies from the forums in that link above, since its a laptop website.

Thread Information