Thread: Bargain bucket Multimedia PC/PVR tips please

Thanks

Bargain bucket Multimedia PC/PVR tips please

Hi All

Am building a multimedia PC, mostly out of spare parts, have everything I need/know what I'll get EXCEPT for a wireless mouse/Keyboard.

The wireless keyboard and mouse needs to work from across the room. Won't be used for serious gaming so performance is not important. What is important is that it be comparatively cheap - under ~£30 say - am counting the pennies on this project otherwise I'd do better to just buy a set-top DVD recorder and utilise my spare parts elsewhere . Prefer to buy from scan ideally.

Also, I will be using a rubbish soundblaster card with earphone-type connections only. I have an old 5.1 speaker system knocking around but would prefer for now to use my TV speakers if possible. My TV has audio inputs that look a bit like composite RGB does, sure all you audiophiles know what I mean, they are pretty standard I'm sure. But, is it possible to connect a soundcard into these, is it just a matter of buying the right cable?

any tips gratefully received

Thanks
    No-one can recommend a keyboard with decent wireless range? My local PC World have Logitech S510's including remote for £40 - can't find these cheaper online (only the ones without the remote).

Blowing my budget already...

Thanks
    Ive a Logitech wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse set. Was £40 in Argos (about 3 months ago), and is black.

Works fine from around 3-4m. Not tried it further away.

The shortcut buttons on the keyboard (including forward, back, play/pause, etc, make it very useful.

linky

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    I bought one of these a little while ago for a not too dissimilar project. It works really well and I would heartily recommend it.

I had to email the company direct about how to go about purchasing one - I bought it in the end directly from their UK office, all organised via email.

http://www.keysonic.de/pages/product...CK_540_RF.html

What do you think to it?

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by JPreston
    No-one can recommend a keyboard with decent wireless range? My local PC World have Logitech S510's including remote for £40 - can't find these cheaper online (only the ones without the remote).
    A friend of mine has that logitech set and it's very nice. Seems to have friendly software too. You can use the remote to view photos in about 2 clicks.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanycooks
    I bought one of these a little while ago for a not too dissimilar project. It works really well and I would heartily recommend it.

I had to email the company direct about how to go about purchasing one - I bought it in the end directly from their UK office, all organised via email.

http://www.keysonic.de/pages/product...CK_540_RF.html

What do you think to it?
    That's very nice - can be bought here:

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...EK-540RF&af=50

That's definitely in the running - depends on what GFX card I end up using though, either a 9800 Pro (which will be good for some games and so require a separate mouse) or a 4200 Ti (which will be good for no games but will allow me to sell the 9800 Pro and consider a touchpad). Depends on whether I can passively cool the 4200 Ti by sticking on an old stock intel CPU heatsink (now - that's what I call bargain bucket ), and whether it will even run whatever PVR software I go with.

Thanks
    in my experience you won't be able to use the majority of wireless keyboards at that distance, especially for that price. You can get bluetooth ones now which would be great, but they are v.pricey.

Thread Information