Thread: Just need some help

Thanks

Exclamation Just need some help

Hey guys, whats up. I have a really big problem, and I need any idea to why it is happening. My computer has:

mother board: ABIT IS7-E motherboard
    Proc: Pentium 4 2.8 proc
    Vid Card 9800XT (power color)
    HDD: 120 Western Digital
    PS: 420WATT Orion power supply
    Ram: 1024 Corsair ram

With 9800xt power color's I know that they did not put enough thermal paste on them when they made them in factories, and I have an Arctic Silencer 3 on mine. My temps and everything seem to be consistent, and at a cool temp. I have a new heatsink fan on my proc right now, and it keeps temps really low as well.

Now that I have that covered, here is the problem: Anytime I start to game, my comp will randomly freeze. It's not that it just freezes, but my speaker/headphones just start screaching incredibly loud. That's prolly just feedback, I don't really know. Also, while I'm gaming, it starts to artifact the game. To my knowledge, this is usually caused from overheating. I originally had all the same components in my comp, but then it started messing up, so I called the place I got the parts from (ibuypower.com [btw, anyone who likes them, or works for them {} they aren't very good, and I would not recommend buying from them.]) and they "professionally" installed everything. I had these same problems, sent my proc, power supply, and video card back, and got the exact same ones back. And the same things are happening yet again, except last time, there was not any artifacting. And it's not that the games require a lot to run. It freezes up on Source, but even small games like armagetron (modded multiplayer version of tron). This issue has made me so mad. I talked on an ATI forum, because I thought it was the video card, and got the silencer and things worked great there for a while. Please somebody, help me out, and give any good advice that you may have (no smartasses please). Oh and btw, for some reason, in my bios, if I try and run at the "fail safe" settings, my comp won't start up. It only starts windows if I select "Optimized" settings. Any suggestions. Again, thank you for any good input to this problem. Later.

Lawlta

Thanks
    Sucks when something like that happens. I'd say you are correct looking at the GFX card, maybe a faulty memory chip, or perhaps faulty RAM, but if you have problems with easy games/starting up it sounds like something else.

Is the Orion PSU any good? Don't think I've heard of them as a brand before and the 9800XT will require a lot of power, so if you PSU is bit generic it may not be up to the challenge regardless of its rating.

Also are you sure you've fitted the artic cooling silencer correctly, not using too much thermal paste, etc?

The loud sound when freezing is a bit mystifying though

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure the thermal paste amount is enough. I know what to much does (messes up pixels noticably). As for the PSU, not so sure. I forgot to mention I use to have a different power supply, and when i sent that one in, they sent me this orion back. I might need more power, but not completely sure. It's not a startup issue, it's just gaming. I can startup a game, and it might freeze, but generally it will happen 5 minutes after, or an hour later. I am pretty sure that I am going to just change out the motherboard, proc, card (and possibly the PSU) sooner or later. Thanks for the advice though. Anyone else, if you got the answer, or suggestions, feel free to post. Later

Lawlta

Thread Information