Thread: Speccing Out New Box - Case/PSU Recommendations

jgm
    Registered+
    Thanks

Speccing Out New Box - Case/PSU Recommendations

Hi,
    I'm speccing out a new desktop box for myself and so far have the following components:

• Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    • Athlon X2 4200+
    • Thermalright XP-120
    • Vantec 120mm stealth
    • 2x Geil 1GB PC3200
    • 2x Western Digital Caviar 250GB SATA-II 7200rpm
    • NEC ND4550 DVD writer
    • XFX GeForece 7800GT (may buy a second one of these as I have a 2405FPW, hence the SLI motherboard)

What case/psu would you recommend to put this lot in? It goes under the desk so I don't much care about looks but quieter is better. Also, is the on-board sound on the A8N good enough? I have a 7.1 setup that has been running from an Audigy 2 so that's the quality that I'm used to. Finally, anywhere that I've missed the boat and should be replacing components?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
    Jim.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Right, Case, I'm am massive fan of my Gigabyte Aurora 3D. It has Dual rear 120mm fans and a 120mm front intake as well as a side vent so cooling is fantastic. There is stacks of space inside to work and outside it looks awesome. I honestly can't think of a better case, almost all my mates run them now, we reckon they're worth about 3-4C on cooling.

PSU, I've been really impressed with my Hiper and I know a lot of people have been too. The modualr design makes installation really easy and it looks fantastic, the power it puts out is really solid and its fantasically stable. For the price it really is exceptional and the packing it comes in (a toolbox!!!) is an added bonus.

On the sound: I wasn't that impressed with the onboard sound, mine was broken (to be fair I probably bust it when I installed it), I ended up getting an X-Fi Xtreme Music and haven't looked back. the sound quality really is awesome. Everything is soo much crisper and realer. The surround system is waaay more immersive than anything I've ever heard before.

I think the rest of your rig looks rock solid, I might suggest a Zalman CNPS9500 instead of the Thermalright purely because my mates XP-120 broke and permanently damaged his 7800GTX. The Zalman is also really easy to install (I mean idiot proof, you don't even need to remove the mobo) and depending which review you look at its as good or better.

Good Luck!
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 2600X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 28 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL
    The onboard sound is a drain on your CPU to drive. Would seem a shame to spend all that money on the CPU and graphics and then have the sound drag it down.

I bought an OEM Audigy card for about 17 quid for basically that reason; the quality of the Asus onboard sound was good enough already for use with some damned nice Sennheiser headphones.

Thanks
    i totally agree with RavenNight the Hiper modular PSU's are amazing. Its not just good on the eye its modular so you only need what cables you require. Its nice and powerful to so should be good with your system and the toolbox aint bad
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

jgm
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Great; thanks for all the replies. The Hiper does indeed look like a nice PSU so I'll be grabbing one of those.

I assume that with the Zalman CNPS9500 I don't need a separate fan as it comes with the product, yes?

The Gigabyte case also looks special; I'll be adding that to the list.

One thing that I did notice - the A8N-SLI Deluxe is SATA I. As I'm buying SATA-II drives does it make sense to either downgrade the drives or upgrade the motherboard to the A8N32-SLI Deluxe?

Thanks
    The Zalman comes with its own fan, and its almost completely silent at full blast. I'm not sure about whether it supports SATA 2, on the website it supports SATA 3GB/s and it says hte same in the manual. But Scan lists it as supporting SATA II, so I reckon your safe with the Deluxe, the major disadvantage with the A8N32 is that it robs you of the PCI slots if you use double width cards.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

Thanks
    SATA 3GB/s = SATA II . There was some kerfuffle with naming it SATA II as the poeple who came up with SATA weren't asked if it could be called SATA II ( or something) I have SATA 3GB/s on my AN8-Ultra and it runs SATA II drives

Thanks
    Yep I'm running Sata II drives on the Asus no prob, not 100% sure if I get full transfer speeds but its pretty damn fast!

jgm
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Great; thanks for all the help and clarifications. Now I just need to purcahse all of the relevant bits and pieces and put them together, which should be the easy bit

Cheers,
    Jim.

Thanks
    Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

Thread Information