Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project "Sexy HTPC"

Thanks

Project "Sexy HTPC"

Well I've finished the media PC build I've been working on over christmas - nice

Think this is the right place to put this If not please move

Project AIMS:

The aim of the project was set out initially in this thread. I have changed my mind a few times but here's basically what I wanted to do:

Have a Media PC that ran on the main TV in the flat for browsing, DVD-Revording, DVD-Playing, Music playing and recording Sky. This has to look good below a TV, be reasonably quiet and be easy to use.

Project Specs

These have changed somewhat, as I was intially going to do P4 + Win XP 64. I changed this due to some cheap hardware and P4's being so hot you can cook eggs

Specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3000+
    Motherboard: Optronix OP-k9M200G-MLF - s939 + ATI express x300 onboard
    Cooling: Stock Cooler from an AMD X2 4400+
    RAM 1gb OCZ Plat Rev 2 TCCD
    HDD: WD 250gb SATA 7200rpm
    DVD-RW: Sony DVD-RW
    TV Card: Hauppague WinTV PVR 150 MCE MediaCenter
    Graphics: Onboard x300
    Sound: Onboard 6ch
    Wireless Network Card: Belkin 6001 Wireless network card
    PSU: Silverstone 300w
    Case: Silverstone SST-LC11 Silver Case
    Keyboard/Input Device: Widows MCE IR Keyboard + Remote

Pics:

Work in Progress Shot:

I had to do a lot of work to get the damn thing up and running so my gaming rig was turned into a mini test-lab

Internals:

This project was very hard to build in and required several crude (only a knife to cut metal with ) mods to it.

The main problem I had was that the case was designed to AGP specs and so the PCI cards didn't fit in the external slots too well. I had to strip down the hauppage card with no backplate, and mod the case and the wireless cards backplate to fit. I would take pics but its all tucked neatly away now

The money shots:

During this project my parents bought a 40" LCD TV and so I managed to get given their 32" Panasonic TV. w00t!! :worship:

Its all up and running and fairly quiet for a PC below your TV. Once the 5.1 surround is on you don't hear it at all - unlike my gaming rig

So what dya all think?
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    Very nice little rig. You may find it a good idea to put a little dual-core 3800+ in there. I find dual-cores to be very nice for multi-media stuff because of their multitasking abilities. I use X2's in my highend MCE machines.

Good job there!

Thanks
    Yeah I would have done but this was done on a fairly tight budget and the Venice was got off Hexus for &#163;70

My X2 4400+ @ 2.8GHz will do anything strenuous that I really need some power for

Thanks though mate - I like it and even the missus thinks it looks good although she keeps complaining about the money (and the fact that I WILL get a PS3 or Xbox 360 once I've seen both)

Thanks
    Very, very nice!

I can't stand the black version of that case - the fake wood ruins it imo. The silver one is however very good looking.

I've got the MCE remote myself, but how do you find the keyboard? - I might get this soon, but know no one who has one.

Thanks
    Yeah the keyboard is pretty good. The "pointer" thing is not amazingly easy to use but you do get used to it and I just dont want a mouse as its not practicle at all on my sofa.

I actually really like the MS accessories a lot and dread to think what happens if M$ decide to get more into hardware as they seem to do it very well

And yeah - fake wood -

Thanks
    kempez - here's a neat trick you might want to try...it works perfectly for my MCE remote, so should work equally for the MCE keyboard (where did you get yours ? - I've seen it for £99 in John Lewis, which is a rip as you need the remote receiver. I've seen it for ~£35 online thou).

Enter BIOS, and ensure you have S3 power state enabled. Then ensure the "Wake from S3 by USB" (or similar) option is enabled.

Go into windows. Open notepad, and copy-paste the text below...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
    "USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
    "USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

...Now save this as something you can relate to (mine is S3_MCE_Reghack), and then change the file extension from .txt to .reg - once this is done, double-click it, and the registry will be updated. Restart your PC. Now, when you press the standby button on the remote (or keyboard I suppose) your PC will power down into S3 state, AND awake again into MCE as you left it (such as an open webpages, or Office docs). Ensure your receiver is plugged into a USB port on the machine - a hub might not be OK.

Use at your own risk - but it's cool to effectively start your PC in 3 secs from "cold". MCE will also apparently start up, record, and switch off automatically when this is enabled. The only power being used is that going to the RAM, so very eco too.

Thanks
    Hi Mate

My PC sleeps itself and thats enough for me tbh. I've heard a load of problems with S/3 and this mobo is a PITA tbh so don't think I'll bother - though I will keep it in mind

And yeah SCAN SCAN'd me up with pretty much all this PC - muchas savings ensued

Senile Member
    Thanks
    That case really looks the part.

/me drools..

Thanks
    lol thanks mate - I saw it and thought:
    "I must have it"

Its a bit of a tight squeeze and fairly hard to work with tho

Ah well it was worth it

Its F@H as much as possible (missus keeps turning it off tho ) and the CPU loads up at 28-30*C which is pretty damn smart imo

Thanks
    Nice! I have to get one of those cases... only problem is that I'm using a prescott for my media centre *Burn*

Doesn't that case use 2 x 60mm case fans? I wish they'd work out how to use some thin 120mm in the top or something...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez815
    Hi Mate

My PC sleeps itself and thats enough for me tbh. I've heard a load of problems with S/3 and this mobo is a PITA tbh so don't think I'll bother - though I will keep it in mind

And yeah SCAN SCAN'd me up with pretty much all this PC - muchas savings ensued
    How does it sleep itself? - can it wake on itself as well? - if you're referring to S1 - don't you have fans spinning continuously? - just wondering.
    As for Scan, I've come back to them, as ebuyer keeps messing me about. Scan are better now than they were 3 yrs ago, imo.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack
    Nice! I have to get one of those cases... only problem is that I'm using a prescott for my media centre *Burn*

Doesn't that case use 2 x 60mm case fans? I wish they'd work out how to use some thin 120mm in the top or something...
    Just a quick one - I've got the same case and it uses 3 x 80mm fans - one intake, one exhaust by the CPU and one exhaust in the PSU (slim line). They were all too loud for my liking (and you couldn't control the speed of all of them) so I've replaced them in mine - got them all running ~ 1000 rpm and you can't hear them at all from a comfortable viewing distance (even without any background noise)... Having said that I'm only running a Pentium M so that may not be good enough for anything else (apart from an A64 running cool n quiet or whatever AMD call it)

Quote Originally Posted by stud
    Scan are better now than they were 3 yrs ago, imo.
    Couldn't agree more - had some nightmares with them a few years ago - but they're great these days. The scan forum here helps a lot.

Thanks
    Its got a sleep button which I just press if I want it sleeping and press if I want it awake. Its only S1 so it doesn't spin down but it aint that loud really

SCAN are awesome nowadays

Thanks
    Not that i have actually checked, but I though microsoft only allowed windows MCE to be sold on pre built boxes?
    If you can buy i separately i think a HTPC will be built .
    Twigman

Thanks
    Well when you buy hardware from a place like SCAN they put it on the page saying that as you've bought hardware you can buy an OEM copy of MCE

It works fine

Thanks
    Is there any chance of a photo of the back of the case with your mod? I was considering the Silverstone 11M but I noticed it wouldn't support my MSI micro-ATX board as i have a pci-e x1 slot beside the pci-e x16. Is this the same problem as you? I think I considered your board but ruled it out as nowhere had them in stock at the time. If its not too hard to do i might get one and a dremel and see what happens

Nick
    Abit IP-35 Pro, Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz, 8800GTS 512, Zalman Reserator1 External Watercooler, 4GB DDR2, 76GB Raptor 10k, 300GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 2x Maxtor 250GB 7.2k, ViewSonic VP201s & Dell 2408

Thread Information