Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Bartons, week 40 and above

Thanks
    LOL mind u im happy with 3.1 XP speeds with a 193 FSB !

Thanks
    Cant really justify buying another Xp2500 just to get an extra 100 megaherz or whatever it is out of that !

And plus it is my 3rd spare machine hehe

ITs funny all of my machines are more powerful then other ppl main rigs !

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Well ive emailed ocuk, overclock, scan and cpucity to ask the week of their stock. I'll keep you posted on the replies i get (if i do).

check dat rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish out, dat be a talking chicken!

mailed kustom as well
    Last edited by funnelhead; 12-11-2003 at 04:54 PM.
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    yeah please let me know which company still keeps the decent stocks of xp2500 !

Thanks
    wall it looks like we can now sell our XP barton 2500 chips which over clock to 3200 speeds and beyond ? for the same price we payed for them

EDIT LOL
    Last edited by Planetside; 12-11-2003 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks
    Lol do u mean that we can now sell our XP chips which over clock to 3200 speeds and beyond ?

Is that what you mean ?

Thanks

David

Thanks
    Has anyone found out any physical markings that indicate the new batches which are locked?

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    well Zak just got a w42 from ebuyer and Kustom just mailed me - all their stock are w43. looks like i might have to check out sodding pc world or some other bricks n mortar
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    Just got a reply from cpucity - all theirs are locked Stella says they are trying to find a source of old ones - so you might want to keep an eye on them.

Anyone else got any ideas for sourcing old 2500's.??

dabs
    pcworld
    insight
    jungle
    savastore

????

over

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    guys if you wont to get a a unlocked 2500 go to ebay but there going fast
    Last edited by Planetside; 13-11-2003 at 12:30 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Made a loss but that loss could have been much bigger and if the TbredB and Barton had been always locked like the Pally I doubt they'd have got half the sales. I think AMD's biggest problem is that the Athlon is too efficient and generally people will always want the real ghz (as opposed to rating) and/or the top brand. Rem those days when the AMD K5 and esp Cyrix CPUs were running a good 10-20% than the equivilently clocked Intel Pentium? It's now reversed and a P4 @ 2.2ghz is crap compared to an Athlon @ 2.2ghz (XP3200+). They have the advertising, they have the market leading brand so it seems it will always be an upward struggle for AMD to compete. Maybe Athlon64 will change things a bit?
    Originally posted by sparky191
    Thats a bit misleading mate. Its not as it these are priced the same so therefore why compare their performance? Compare the XP3200 against the similarly priced P4. Which in my reckoning would be a 3.0 or a 3.2 P4 then they are pretty much evenly matched with the P4 winning in some areas.
    Depends on why they are being compared. It should be clear if you reread that I was merely pointing out that it has reversed, in the days of Pentium vs AMD K5 the AMD was slower with the same clock speed and now it is Intel that is slower per clock speed. Of course Intel did it because the Athlon totally killed their PIII so rather than be a little slower at the same sort of clock speed they chose to go for maximum clock speed but with less perf per clock (as they knew that would sell). I wasn't trying to say it was a fair comparison, merely talking about clock perf in AMD vs Intel over the years. It was only a tiny rather unimportant side-point anyway.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Depends on why they are being compared. It should be clear if you reread that I was merely pointing out that it has reversed, in the days of Pentium vs AMD K5 the AMD was slower with the same clock speed and now it is Intel that is slower per clock speed. Of course Intel did it because the Athlon totally killed their PIII so rather than be a little slower at the same sort of clock speed they chose to go for maximum clock speed but with less perf per clock (as they knew that would sell). I wasn't trying to say it was a fair comparison, merely talking about clock perf in AMD vs Intel over the years. It was only a tiny rather unimportant side-point anyway.
    Ah I get you twas a History lesson. Though I think if you look at the sales of the PIII you can hardly say the Athlon killed it. Be interesting to see what happens now that the AMD 64bit cpus are out and intel hasm't got theirs out yet. Thats a first isn't it?

Banned
    Thanks
    Even though the Athlon was easily better than the PIII the PIII continued to sell very well because they had the 'brand' and the advertising. When I said 'killed it' it was more about perf and price than out-selling it. Even the Duron could easily rival the PIII for around half the price, and the Duron was little more than an Athlon with quarter the L2 cache. As I pointed out earlier it's very hard for AMD to compete anywhere near Intel's levels, Intel have the market share, the branding and the marketing/advertising.

Not sure precisely how you'd measure the 'that's a first' factor, AMD were the first to 1ghz courtesy of the Athlon, PIII was stuck to 900mhz(ish) for a very long time, IIRC the Athlon was widely available at 1.2ghz+ before Intel got the manu of the PIII past 1ghz in any real quantity (but they were getting ready for the P4). The P4 is now a great choice but in its early days it really sucked offering pure ghz over actual speed, efficiency or even cost.

Anyway yes it is certainly clear that AMD have the most advanced technology. Firstly because it runs 32bit apps much faster than the 32bit CPUs, secondly it has a very advanced memory controller and thirdly it has the ability to run in 64bit mode WITH full backwards compatibility and speed for 32bit apps. Of course there's little to use it's potential for but that is often the way with very new technology. Even when Intel release their 64bit offering it seems its 32bit emulation is slow and poor, but who knows how things will shape up in the end. Knowing Intel they'll totally build the CPU from the ground up whereas AMD have chosen to almost bolt a few extras on to their existing 32bit CPU. It will be interesting to see how things develop that's for sure. AMD need to have a better and/or faster product out for less cash than the Intel equivilent in order to stand a chance and even then I'd say they need advertising to back them up as they need the average Joe to consider them as being a Porsche to Intel Ferrari rather than a Skoda or Ford.
    Last edited by Austin; 13-11-2003 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    I meant that the release of the AMD 64bit chip is the first time AMD have had new technology (even if theres a lot of old stuff in there) thats scalable such a long time ahead of intel. Even when AMD had their 1.2Ghz the P4 was only around the corner. Thats not the case this time.

Thanks
    I have been an AMD fanboy for a long time for 1 thing purley good performance at a good price !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Unhappy

ok today i got an email from ocuk.They say they have week 39's that they received last week, but refused to guarantee what chip i would get. As far as i know week 39's - some are locked, some arent. Anyone know better? Anyways this is the best response i have had yet Still wondering if cpu city will get some old stock in. Also wondering if they'll charge £258 for it What are people seeing in trade fairs / shops??

F

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information