Thread: Logitech MX500 to G7 - worth it?

merlin2001

Logitech MX500 to G7 - worth it?

Hi - anyone have any thoughts on this. currently have a logitech MX500 wired mouse. at the time, it was top of the range, but now sadly looks a bit dated. thinking about ugrading to a nice shiny new G7 , but wondering if anyone has any personal experience if there is a real, noticable differance before i spend £60? the mx500 is before logitech started using laser sensors and is around 800dpi if i remember correctly. play a some fps, but mainly rpg. the wireless isn't that important to me now, but may be in the future and it will be spending it's time on a icemat....

thanks for any and all comments.

Thanks
    I did the opposite, went from the MX550 (wireless) to G5 (wired) and its good to be back with wires thats for sure

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobeman
    I did the opposite, went from the MX550 (wireless) to G5 (wired) and its good to be back with wires thats for sure
    Do you happen to an icemat and does the G5 work on it? I've read conflicting opinions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPreston
    Do you happen to an icemat and does the G5 work on it? I've read conflicting opinions.
    Do I have an icemat mousemat? No, I don't use one, I haven't used a mousemat for years

Thanks
    I went from an MX510 to a G7 and haven't looked back - the wireless connection is miles better than anything else I've tried. Great for twitchy gaming (UT & Q4) as it doesn't go to sleep unless you stop moving it for a long time and its light(ish). You do have to swap the battery pack every 10 hours or so if you are using it all the time.

Off the top of my head I can't remember whether the G7 or the MX1000 failed to work on my icemat, one of them definitely refused to work. I'll check tonight. But you really don't need a mat at all with the latest mice - just something else to clean.

merlin2001
    thnks for all the responses. pretty much need to have a mousemat as i use a rubbish pc desk from pcworld that has a pretty uneven surface on the keyboard tray. (it is also, unfortunately, the only pc desk I have found that pretty much fits everything i have pc-wise into the one place in my flat where i can really keep my pc). got a logitech wireless click mouse at work and found the wireless to be faultless on that.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    got an mx1000 and it works flawlessly on the icemat v2. though mine is one of the early revisions if it makes any difference.

Dave

Thanks
    G5 does not work with an Icemat. I have a black Icemat which worked fine with my bog-standard optical mouse, but doesn't work at all with my G5, and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't work with any of the other laser mice around - laser + glass mousemat don't mix I'm afraid.

Thanks
    you g5 guys done the firmware update, 1.1 i think, it makes it run on special glass surfaces including those of the icemat i love my g5

a g7 is basically a wireless g5 in shape, but im so lazy id probably forget to charge it so i got the g5.

Thanks
    No, I don't use one, I haven't used a mousemat for years
    I find a slither of the finest onyx exquisite for all my mousing needs. Passivley heated from beneath ofcourse for maximum comfort
    Rhyth is selling:
    Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di ll LD Aspherical (IF) £230 +pp
    Canon 50mm 1.8 II £50 +pp
    Proven good copies.

Those who look out dream, those who look inward, awake. Jung

Thread Information