Thread: Where can i get PS2's repaired?

Happy Now?
    Thanks

Where can i get PS2's repaired?

Thinking of buying one off a friend but it looks like the laser's gone. Do Sony centres repair stuff like this?
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    Pop into the sony center and ask

I used to have a place in my favs that did it but I've deleted it

ERU
    Thanks
    The laser went on mine once, so i went into Sony centre and it was only a few quid more to buy it new. If the laser has gone its had it - unless you have got a spare laser to pop in.

Thanks
    depending on whats wrong it is fixable....

replacement laser units are about £50-100 iirc.

i half fixed one where it couldnt read disks anymore, it just made a clicking soudn as the disk span round, which is a known problem casued by some lasers. easy to *tempory* repair (i assume it will only last so long before the laser dies compleatly) is to over-volt the laser.

if you take the ps2 apart on the bottom of dvd drive there are 2 adjustable POTs the left one being for dvd and right one for cd. further you turn it clockwise the more voltage it gets, i recommend you mark where it was set to begin with.

i managed to get the ps2 reading all cd's inc cdr/cdrw's but even with the dvd at full voltage bypassing the pot it couldnt read anything, and it didnt help me only haveing one dvd i could test with at the time.

if you going to attempt this its best you find and read a proper guide = google because ive left a lot of detial out

Thanks
    On this subject, anyone know where I can get a Japanese DReamcast fixed ? I plugged the wrong lead in the back and now it don't work . No smoke/noise ar anything, but I assume the higher voltage in the UK just killed it without its adaptor. Maybe just a fuse ? anyone know where it is in a Jap Dreamcast ?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    £50-£100 for a new laser unit? Can almost buy a 2nd hand PS2 for that!

Thanks
    www.computermarkets.co.uk - search for your closest, they always have sum1 there

Thanks
    try a bloke called stusy on the cdrom guide he done mine
    1700 xp@ 2.2 g 512 mb dual channel corsair 480 w thermaltake pure power nf7-s rev 2.0 thermalright sp97 iiyama prolite E431s

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Originally posted by Lexeus
    On this subject, anyone know where I can get a Japanese DReamcast fixed ? I plugged the wrong lead in the back and now it don't work . No smoke/noise ar anything, but I assume the higher voltage in the UK just killed it without its adaptor. Maybe just a fuse ? anyone know where it is in a Jap Dreamcast ?
    Believe me mate thats screwed. Doing that fries the mainboard or something which is everything in a dreamcast

Awesome console and unlike ps2 easy to fix yourself. When the power connector thingy went in mine i took it apart and sorted it by bending the pins easy due to the nice simple layout

Thanks
    A friend of mine broke his ps2 something to do with laser. anyway he just went into a few electronic shops and asked if they could fix it and they could expensive tho.This guy now owns an xbox and is getting it chipped from the same electronic place (wat is this chipping thing, he says his xbox will be able to remeber every game it ever plays, I dont believe that). but i wouldnt go to some wierd shop and say hey do u wanna fix my ps2 id go to the sony shop. i wouldnt trust the electronic guys with my ps2
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 10-11-2003 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Dude, just buy a new PS2.... It will probabley cost a bit more, but second hand the effort to have it playable is not worth the saving. I had a PS2 I lent to someone, the laser died so I got a new one (after a long drawn out arguement). For a start I know the laser is stable and working, secondly, they newer generations of PS2 are quieter.... I had one of the first batch, and man was it noisy.....

Thanks
    £45 pounds for a new ps2 laser and theres 2 types of lazer out
    (1) PS2 Laser
    (2) PS2 Laser Version 5

Thanks
    londonconsole.com do mods for consoles, but I have a hunch that they might do repairs also so you might want to send them an email to check...

With the DC you could have been lucky and ONLY blown the PSU or the fuse.... I seem to remember Lik Sang doing replacement DC PSU's a while back....
    ♪~( ̄ε ̄;) (/゜ー゜)ノ ((((((●~*

Thread Information