Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 939 Cpu Hsf

Thanks

939 Cpu Hsf

Im after a replacement for my Akasa EVO 120. While being a very nice quiet cooler, I've got an Opteron under the bonnet waiting to be pushed (sitting at 2.2ghz it struggles a little in some tasks), I heard good things about the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.. but I was wondering if theres anything else around that I should keep my eye out for as I haven't been following HSFs much recently.

I don't want anything monsterously loud..

Any suggestions/comments?

Cheers,

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb
    The Big Typhoon is widely recognised to be "The Daddy" of the current top end air hsf & it's fairly quiet depending on what fan you use.

I got fairly good results though with my thermalright 948U though but it's old school theses days.

It might just be that you have bad contact though between the ihs & the core on your Opty. The drastic solution is to carefully remove it, I did & my temps dropped by 10c under full load although I'm using water.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    I reckon 'the daddy' is the Zalman CNPS9500LED awesome cooler, dead easy to fit, not insane size and the performance is fantastic. Also comes with a fanmate and just under full blast its inaudible inside a case.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    The Scythe Ninja is at least as good (and in some benches exceed) the performance of the Big Typhoon. The Zalman 9500 is supposed to have excellent performance, but not prefered for those looking to minimise noise (basically, it doesn't do as well as the Ninja/Typhoon when it comes to noise vs heat dissipated).

But they are all top dogs.

Not seen in the UK yet, but the Tuniq Tower is supposed to be the new daddy in raw performance, although it has been argued that it's performance may not be as good using a slower fan.

Thanks
    The XP-120 rocks your socks off. Mine's for sale...

Seriously tho the XP-120 or SI-120 are awesome coolers and can fit any 120mm fan
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    I'm in two minds between the Thermalright XP-120 (or SI-120.. I guess this is just an updated revision of the XP? They look very similar. Anyone know the key differences?) and the Thermaltake Big Typhoon...

For either of the ThermalRights, what fan do you guys recommend? I've heard SilenX's are highly over-rated (and seem extortionate in price), in my Akasa Eclipse-62 I have two of the 120mm Akasa Amber fans.

Was looking at a NoiseBlocker in conjunction with a zalman fanmate?
    Last edited by Tobeman; 02-03-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks
    The quietest 120 mm fan is a Nexus althought they are about £12. You could get a Yate Loon 120mm fan as these are what nexus use. There's a guy in germany that sells them on Ebay very reasonably

Thanks
    The noiseblockers are good as are the Vantecs also sold at Tekheads.

The SI-120 is just a taller vesion of the XP-120 - means taller RAM can fit under it (like Corsairs XMS LED)
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC
    But in terms of price/performance, you just cant beat the Arctic Cooler Freezer 64.
    Of course it depends on how much you want to spend, but the above 'Daddies' are &#163;30 plus, whilst the AC Freezer is &#163;16.
    See here.
    I have it in mine, my Opteron is at 2.6 (and not yet pushed to the max), and i can't hear the Freezer 64, despite having a very quiet system. Fantastic.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ugley_matt
    The quietest 120 mm fan is a Nexus althought they are about £12. You could get a Yate Loon 120mm fan as these are what nexus use. There's a guy in germany that sells them on Ebay very reasonably
    Yep I've dug him out already However the Yate Loon fans are rated quite a bit louder than the Nexus ones (eBay seller vs KustomPCs)3

Quote Originally Posted by kempez815
    The noiseblockers are good as are the Vantecs also sold at Tekheads.

The SI-120 is just a taller vesion of the XP-120 - means taller RAM can fit under it (like Corsairs XMS LED)
    Damn it, yours has sold, I would have gone for that!

Might go for the Thermaltake Big Typhoon to save me picking a fan to go with it

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 850 Pro (OS), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo (Games), various other SSD/HDD (storage, work)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Something Something 800W-ish
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 x64 (fun!), Win2012 R2 (work)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    The Ninja comes with a very quiet fan if it's the plus version apparently, which I think is what Scan has.

What's up with the EVO 120? Not cool enough? Too loud? I was looking at it cos it would line up nicely with the exhaust fan on my case, hopefully giving me an extra wee bit help. The X2 stock cooler may be all heatpiped up, but the fan makes an horrific buzzing noise, and never seems to slow down even when Cool'n'Quiet is set up .

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobeman
    Yep I've dug him out already However the Yate Loon fans are rated quite a bit louder than the Nexus ones (eBay seller vs KustomPCs)3
    They may very well be, but they certainly arent louder at 7 ish volts, where they are noiseless (well, at least i cant hear them from under my desk) at at 12V the noise is substantially less annoying, because its all from air movement, and thus a much lower pitch (and yes i have used both)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkotron
    The Ninja comes with a very quiet fan if it's the plus version apparently, which I think is what Scan has.

What's up with the EVO 120? Not cool enough? Too loud? I was looking at it cos it would line up nicely with the exhaust fan on my case, hopefully giving me an extra wee bit help. The X2 stock cooler may be all heatpiped up, but the fan makes an horrific buzzing noise, and never seems to slow down even when Cool'n'Quiet is set up .
    Its fine, no problems, not loud or anything, just not got the performance to overclock. Lines up perfectly with my exhaust also Just need something with bit more of a kick

Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    They may very well be, but they certainly arent louder at 7 ish volts, where they are noiseless (well, at least i cant hear them from under my desk) at at 12V the noise is substantially less annoying, because its all from air movement, and thus a much lower pitch (and yes i have used both)
    So you would recommend the Yate Loons over the Nexus, considering I would be using a FanMate, yeah? Would you go as far as saying they are worth replacing my 120mm Akasa Ambers with?

Cheers for the help guys

Thanks
    The Yate Loon are noisier because they spin faster. The Nexus goes at 1000RPM whereas the Yate Loon 1350RPM.

I went with the Yate Loon only because they are more effective.

From what I heard (admin at SPCR), the Ninja doesn't benefit from faster RPM as much as tower with more "compact" fins , since it was designed to run passively from the beginning.

So really, I was recommended a Nexus irrespective or whether I run it at 12, 7 or 5V. Having said that, the Yate Loon, depending on your system shouldn't be that much louder either. And being significantly cheaper (like half the cost), I decided to go Yate Loon

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold Gen2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2590 G4, Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenNight
    I reckon 'the daddy' is the Zalman CNPS9500LED awesome cooler, dead easy to fit, not insane size and the performance is fantastic. Also comes with a fanmate and just under full blast its inaudible inside a case.
    Another vote for the CNPS9500LED here... I tried a Gigabyte G-Power Cooler Pro (the one with the adjustable fan) before the Zalman, and while its fan was fairly quiet and its perfomance was excellent, (32C idle 37C full load with 2 low rpm 120mm case fans) the fan caused the whole HSF assembly to vibrate badly at low rpms, and it continued vibrating all the way up the rpm band. So it was actually pretty noisy and disruptive.

The Zalman has similar performance, maybe 1C warmer under load, for a LOT less noise. It's barely audible with the fanmate at full tilt.

Edit: Err... as pointed out in the next post, my assessment was a bit OTT on saying the Zalman 9500 is barely audible at full tilt. It's certainly audible, but quiet and the fan doesn't have a lot of screaming or whirring noise... just air rushing. Ahem. I stand corrected :-)
    Last edited by timread; 02-03-2006 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timread
    It's barely audible with the fanmate at full tilt.
    Wow, goes to say that people have very different perception of what is quiet and what isn't.

Not saying that you are wrong, but I have read a slightly different opinion (that the Zalman fans don't make the nicest sound on full power).

Thread Information