Thread: Mouse with a life of it's own.

Thanks

Mouse with a life of it's own.

The cursor of my mouse (logitech scroll mouse, PS/2 ) is moving on it's own in a horizontal direction and at random. This happens even if the device is stationery.
    I have scanned for viruses and reinstalled the mouse but to no avail. kindly help.

Thanks
    do you have anything connected to the serial ports of your pc? I've seen this problem before where a piece of hardware on the serial port was causing the mouse to go crazy.

Thanks
    Yes, in fact I had my fixed wireless phone with in-built modem ( i.e phone cum modem ) attached to the serial port. I access my internet via this modem and so I will have to plug it in every time I need to access the net. Is there any solution to this problem, cause I have no other way to access the internet.

Thank for the reply, anyway.

Thanks
    Does your mouse work fine if there is nothing connected to the serial port?

Thanks
    No, it still acts crazy even after removing the serial connections. I have removed the software of the phone/modem and also uninstalled the com port and restarted the pc which aouto detects the port but the mouse still acts possesed.

This has happened before and had stopped on its own. i really don't remember what I had done the last time to resolve the problem.

Thanks
    In that case then it's not anything to do with the serial port, it's something else that's causing your problem so just keep using your phone/modem.

Have a read of this, this are a few suggestions as to teh problem:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21210620.html

Thanks
    Thanks Fgor The Link But Its A Paid Site.
    I Would Really Appreciate Your Help If You Could Give Me A Link To A Free Site.

Thanks
    hmmm, i've never paid them any money and I can access it. Don't click on where it says "view solution" , just scroll down the page to see the replies from people! Incase it still doesn't work for you I've cut and pasted it below.

Comment from SheharyaarSaahil
    Date: 11/17/2004 11:50AM PST
    Comment

Hello THAN04 =)

Your mouse is getting dirty and old.... get a new one
    Its the most common problem with optical mouses... you can still try to clean it first to clean away the dirt etc etc.... but im afraid that you need a new one at this stage !! =)

Comment from sunray_2003
    Date: 11/17/2004 11:55AM PST
    Comment

Hi THAN04,
    > I HAVE CHANGED THE MOUSE BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

go to device manager
    click on mice and other devices
    uninstall the mouse listed there

restart your computer
    plug in the changed mouse and see what happens.

Are you sure you have not installed any new programs relating to mouse like togglemouse etc ..
    if yes , uninstall the program

when does it move up and down , working on specific application or even when you just login to windows.

SR..

Comment from sunray_2003
    Date: 11/17/2004 11:57AM PST
    Comment

THAN04,

You may change the mouse and restore your machine 2 weeks back (if you think you wont lose any programs)

HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;306084

Did you install any latest windows updates ?

Have you checked for virus and spywares recently ?

Are you connecting the mouse using USB and if yes, have you changed to a different USB port and checked

Comment from DoTheDEW335
    Date: 11/17/2004 12:02PM PST
    Comment

We have a few dells in the office that did that, We had to switch from USB mouse to PS/2 and it solved the problem.

Comment from sunray_2003
    Date: 11/17/2004 12:04PM PST
    Comment

DoTheDEW335,

Man you should have telepathy powers. how do you know the user has USB mouse..
    Can you give me those mind-reading powers.
    Will help me in my work place.

Comment from atheist
    Date: 11/17/2004 12:11PM PST
    Comment

Believe it or not I had this problem with an optical mouse (works fine elsewhere) and a red lavalamp on the desk making the mouse jump about!

Comment from tmorrison3
    Date: 11/17/2004 12:22PM PST
    Comment

Got any cute "I love my Job" magnets on your monitor?

Comment from tymes
    Date: 11/17/2004 12:27PM PST
    Comment

This type of behaviour is most common on Dell laptops (I'll use my pronosticating powers on that one). If you do have a laptop disable the nipple or touchpad, or test to see if the mouse becomes erratic as you type or apply pressure near and around the touchpad. The newer touchpad drivers have accidental protection so they are less sensitive to people brushing them while typing etc.

If you've changed the mouse, the next step would be to change the port (use PS/2 instead of USB or vise versa). A serial mouse would never move erratically on it's own (it might not move, but it won't move on it's own) unless there was a third party software issue -- now we get into software. On desktops I've noticed the problem when switching between computers attached to a KVM (probably doesn't apply to you). Otherwise keep the where you use the mouse clean of hairs and dust or try changing the mousepad or using a book or some other surface temporarily.

Remote viewing or control software (like VNC) could also be used to mess with the mouse, but since you're using XP you must have enabled the XP firewall right? Disconnect yourself from the network temporarily to dismiss this possibility and scan your computer for spyware/malware.

Your first step to change the mouse was a good one, I normally would switch a common item between computers and see if the problem also moved. My guess is that Dew was right about the Dell Laptop.

Comment from atheist
    Date: 11/17/2004 12:35PM PST
    Comment

I think his capslock is stuck too

Comment from meintsi
    Date: 11/17/2004 01:02PM PST
    Comment

One other idea....
    Has anyone else had access to the pc?

There are several "prank" programs out on the web which can cause this type of behavior. Just to be safe, go through the Task Manager and make sure there is not something running that shouldn't be.

Comment from patrvic
    Date: 11/17/2004 01:54PM PST
    Comment

than04 there are all the options for you above.

my mouse used to move left and right too, for bout a few seconds once in a while, and only when i'm not using any applications...it has now stopped doing that all of a sudden...like they say it's not windows if it doesnt give you problems .

TIPS:
    1)see if you have enabled any accessability options. 2)unchecking mouse pointer shadow is a good idea.
    3)get XP2

Comment from patrvic
    Date: 11/17/2004 01:54PM PST
    Comment

than04 there are all the options for you above.

my mouse used to move left and right too, for bout a few seconds once in a while, and only when i'm not using any applications...it has now stopped doing that all of a sudden...like they say it's not windows if it doesnt give you problems .

TIPS:
    1)see if you have enabled any accessability options. 2)unchecking mouse pointer shadow is a good idea.
    3)get SP2

Comment from cpc2004
    Date: 11/17/2004 03:42PM PST
    Comment

This is a known problem at SP2.

Control panel - mouse - pointer options - and uncheck pointer precision

It will resolve your problem.

Comment from gerodim
    Date: 11/17/2004 04:36PM PST
    Comment

Loipon thanasi, an den piasei tipota apo ayta apla dokimase ta eksis...
    1) an to mouse einai ps2 tote dokimase ena usb i an einai usb ena ps2
    2)dokimase to disko sou se mia alli motherboard na deis an to mouse paizei kanonika mipws einai provlima motherboard

English translation:

1)if the mouse is ps2 then try a usb or if its usb try a ps2
    2)check out if your motherboard is ok because it may cause these types of problems....

Comment from SkyvanMan
    Date: 11/17/2004 07:43PM PST
    Comment

Is it connected to a usb hub external of your pc? That can also cause the problem. Also someone may be pulling a prank on you. Make sure remote desktop is not allowed as a way to acces your computer and also ensure that no mouse other than the one you are using is plugged in. This is a common office practical joke that I have witnessed being continued on for weeks until the person figured it out.

Comment from matthew1471
    Date: 11/19/2004 02:46PM PST
    Comment

Try disconnecting the computer from the network and the internet and see if the problem persits... Also it's worth a try going into the "Mouse" applet in control panel and uncheck pointer precision as "cpc20042" suggested above

Administrative Comment from LeeTutor
    Date: 12/27/2004 09:42AM PST
    Administrative Comment

No comment has been added to this question in more than 21 days, so it is now classified as abandoned.

I will leave the following recommendation for this question in the Cleanup topic area:
    Delete - no points refunded

Any objections should be posted here in the next 4 days. After that time, the question will be closed.

LeeTutor
    EE Page Editor

Comment from matthew1471
    Date: 12/28/2004 10:56AM PST
    Comment

there were so many good suggestions in this thread of solutions, these all seem to be hitting good points first :

sunray_2003, DoTheDEW335, atheist, tymes, meintsi, cpc2004, SkyvanMan

oh and me, I liked my suggestion about disconnecting it from the network (and internet)

Comment from meintsi
    Date: 12/28/2004 11:09AM PST
    Comment

lol

Comment from matthew1471
    Date: 12/28/2004 12:11PM PST
    Comment

anyone disagree with that? no I thought not

Problem solved

Thanks
    Thanks for all the solutions. I tried connecting the mouse to the serial port using a converter, i also uninstalled the mouse and let windows detect it automatically. It detecrted it as Microsoft ps/2 mouse while it is a Logitech scroll mouse ps/2. coud this be the prob, although i dont have the correct drivers for the mouse. Tried to install windows xp's drivers for the mouse but didn't work. By the way my mouse is not an optical one.

Haven't checked out disabling the pointer shadow. Hope it works.Or else i might have to format and reinstall the OS. That seems to be the last solution in terms of software.

Hopefully my MOBO or ports are not the culprit or i am in a fix.

Thanks
    The mouse being detected as a Microsoft PS2 instead of a Logitech isn't the problem. Have you tried a different mouse? Try unplugging all USB devices to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks
    hey!!!!!!!!

i finally got the mouse working. i opened it up and cleaned it with WD-40. it works fine now. i think there was dust on the small optical sensors for each roller.or some short circuit. Whatever it may be i finally found a resolution to the problem. Spread the message if you wish.

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Information