Thread: So when will this stuff actually arrive?

Registered+
    Thanks

So when will this stuff actually arrive?

I'm in the process of getting a new vid card to replace my ageing GF3ti (to accompany a XP2400 CPU). I thought I'd get a 9600Pro but decided to wait for the 9600XT or FX5700. Was this a bad idea?

I'm not really interested in spending more £'s for a much better card - 9800, 5900 etc. as this is only a 'secondary' PC and will be fully replaced next year. Should I just go for a bog standard 9600Pro or hang on a bit longer for one of these two 'slightly sexier’ models?

What is the lead time between reviews and actual availability in the UK? It’s got to early November and still no sign of either.

Thanks
    • da_ging's system
      • CPU:
      • E5200 @ 3.75Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB kingston HyperX 8500
      • Storage:
      • 2*WD640gb in Raid 0 +500gb 32mb seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 Maxcore OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650w TX
      • Case:
      • Stacker 831 black
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" fujitsu 3230t LCD 1920*1080
      • Internet:
      • 8mb
    fx5700 will be available soon(next week id ave thought) and "should" have a good supply the rad 9600xt however is in short supply and some "better" versions of the card are due for release end of Nov (better ram higher clocked core by sapphire i think)

Thanks
    I'll be getting a 9600XT on Monday (for testing purposes) - I'll tell you what its like!

I would prob get the 9600Pro although thats one hell of a 2nd system, lol - almost better than my first!

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    Personally i'd go for a 9600PRO.

Even though the 9600XT is a pretty exciting card to wait for - it might be a tad on the expensive side
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ | Connect3D Radeon 9600PRO | Seagate Barrcuda 80GB HDD | 512mb PC2700 Crucial RAM | MSI KT6 Delta FIS2R | Zorro Silver Case | Windows XP/Gentoo Linux

Banned
    Thanks
    Waiting for the 9600XT and FX5700ULTRA (the std FX5700 is crap) was wise in that you saw the reviews of them AND have now seen price cuts to 9600PRO (FX5600ultra is pretty crap). Basically a lot depends on whether you want to try o/c'ing or not. The only important diff between 9600PRO and 9600XT is a higher clocked core, the 9600PRO o/c VERY well so if you don't mind some easy o/c'ing the 9600PRO is easily the best card. The FX5700ULTRA should be decently faster than the Rad9600XT BUT it is still based on the troubled GF-FX archy so 9600XT may very wel be as good overall. You could look for a bargain deal on the 9500PRO which is still superior to the 9600XT (although it is now closer esp excl o/c'ing) or better still the 9700 series which is just as good as the 9800 series esp when o/c'ing. TBH any of these cards are top notch for a PRIMARY system and you can't go far wrong. I wouldn't buy 9600XT nor FX5700ULTRA for the first month they debut as prices will be a good 10% higher to profit from early adopters.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: So when will this stuff actually arrive?

Originally posted by BlueHooHoo
    What is the lead time between reviews and actual availability in the UK? It’s got to early November and still no sign of either.
    There's no hard and fast answer to that. It varies from product to product and manufacturer to manufacturer. There have been occasions when I've received review products almost simultaneously with public availability, and there have been occasions when I've had the product up to 4 months before retail availabililty. Case in point - the original HP Colour Laserjet. I had one on my desk at home months before they were publicly available, and when there were TWO in the country

It's also often not easy to tell when the review was actually written. In tha case of print magazines, you can pretty much bet it'll be at least three weeks, but it could also be a couple of months. Space requirements sometimes change and a review or two get put on the peg, and deferred an issue, even though they'd been submitted in plenty of time for the issue deadlines. Online sites, obviously, have a much lower lead time for publication, but it still varies. For instance, I've submitted articles (not to Hexus, I don't write for Hexus) and had them appear on the site with an hour (and this site I'm talking about is probably the world's largest (certainly one of the largest) online computer review publisher, and not a small print publisher either). I've also known it take three months.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Cheers for the feedback guys. Appreciated.

Thread Information