Thread: OC Settings For Abit TH7

EQX
    Thanks

OC Settings For Abit TH7

I have been playing with my ABIT TH7 for a while.

Installed is a P4 2.0ghz Processor. No matter what I set the BIOS for, it always comes up as a 2.0ghz CPU operating at 1.99ghz.

Am I missing a basic switch setting that allows changes to the BIOS to take effect?

The DIP settings are all on their default status (OFF).

Any assistance would be appreciated..

EQ

Banned
    Thanks
    Check Abit's site is best. The ABIT TH7 is i850 RDRAM right? They're not really o/c'ing friendly, RAMBUS was very unhappy about it. Still you should get some luck by raising the FSB a little at a time, perhaps try the latest BIOS. All you should need to do in order for the BIOS settings to take is select 'Save and EXIT' from within the BIOS. You have checked the battery and clear CMOS jumper right?

EQX
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Check Abit's site is best. The ABIT TH7 is i850 RDRAM right? They're not really o/c'ing friendly, RAMBUS was very unhappy about it. Still you should get some luck by raising the FSB a little at a time, perhaps try the latest BIOS. All you should need to do in order for the BIOS settings to take is select 'Save and EXIT' from within the BIOS. You have checked the battery and clear CMOS jumper right?
    Yep. it's RDRAM...
    As far as SAVE & EXIT, yep that is what I do. The battery and CMOS jumper is right, as far as I know. It's a brand new MB..

I'll check the ABIT site and see if they can give me some insight. Thanx

EQ

Thanks
    You are trying to raise the FSB, not the multiplier right?

Intel you cant change the multiplier...

Set to Manual... the CPU settings and raise the FSB a little bit at a time.

EQX
    Thanks
    I am not sure what I am trying to do. (Scary, ain't I? )
    I just want the MB to register a different setting when I bring up SiSandra.

I updated the BIOS to the latest. Still have the same issue. No matter what changes I make in SoftMenu II, it doesn't show in BenchMark software.

Thanks
    b/c you need to increase the FSB, not just try to change what the reading is for the CPU!! Thats just trying to change a locked multiplier... wont work!

Raise the FSB!

EQX
    Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisf6969
    b/c you need to increase the FSB, not just try to change what the reading is for the CPU!! Thats just trying to change a locked multiplier... wont work!

Raise the FSB!
    Tried that...

OK Lemme lay it out..

When I boot up, I *always* get the message "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Press F1 blaa blaa blaa"

Now, if I go into the BIOS and set it and then do SAVE & EXIT, the system does NOT reboot properly. I have to pull the power plug and plug it back in.

When I do that, I check the bios settings and they are the same as I had set, so it IS retaining the settings. I then EXIT W/O SAVE and it boots up fine, but the CPU is not showing any improvement.

I have set the FSB to max (150.00/46.00 or whatever it is) and yet it still doesn't show any change.

EQ

By the by... Do you play RvS in addition to SoF II??

Thanks
    not very familar with RDRAM boards or TH7 .. but I know there's ram ratios... with them too.... have you tried lower ratio and slowly increasing FSB 1Mhz at a time.... like try 101Mhz and see if you're at 2020Mhz.... 102Mhz check for 2040Mhz.

How much cache are you showing? B/c if you have a pre Northwood then you would only have 256KBs of L2 cache and practically no overclocking potential.

Banned
    Thanks
    It would be a sweaty Willy because AFAIK all Rambus used Skt423, Skt478 is what NW always use. I think you may get 2.2-2.4ghz out of the CPU though, again if mobo and RAM are happy to o/c.

EQX
    Thanks
    OK Sounds like I scrooged the pooch and bought the wrong MB for OCing...

Fair enough...

Now, may I ask this...

Why can't the damn thing at least **ACT** like it's a 2ghz machine!!!??? :^(

Here is my situation..

It's a P4 Willamette (I used to live a few miles from Willamette University in Salem, OR.. Why oh why was "Willamette" chosen??)
    with 256megs of RDRAM....

I usually have a lot of APPs running at once. Email, Agent, a couple SSH sessions, a couple Explorer tasks, a couple MIRC tasks, many TRAY tasks, etc etc... This all seems to be fine... But when I open up NEWSBIN and start perusing some of the binary groups (nope, no pron.. :^) seriously.......) I get slowdown like you wouldn't believe... I mean slowdown like I click a button, go make a sandwich and by the time I return the function clicked is accomplished.

Now, I would have expected more from a 2ghz machine. Even if it only has 256 Megs RAM.. True, NewsBin takes about 140 Megs to run..

So, my questions:

A> Is such performance "normal" given the circumstances??

2> Can I check any boot up/BIOS functions? Maybe something is not configged properly to give me optimum performance.

III> Is getting more RDRAM the only option??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to reboot, just to run NEWSBIN and versie vicie...

Thanx...

EQ

Thanks
    I knew someone with a TH7 and I think a P41.8 or 2.0 that (I think) he ended getting it up to 2.4Ghz. boomerx01@hotmail was his email address I think. Try emailing him. Twas a long time ago that RDRAM and 423 was "in".

P.S. Going from 256 to 512 is a HUGE improvement when working with large files or programs that take up a lot of ram.

EQX
    Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisf6969
    I knew someone with a TH7 and I think a P41.8 or 2.0 that (I think) he ended getting it up to 2.4Ghz. boomerx01@hotmail was his email address I think. Try emailing him. Twas a long time ago that RDRAM and 423 was "in".

P.S. Going from 256 to 512 is a HUGE improvement when working with large files or programs that take up a lot of ram.
    It sounds like to me that even if I eeek that extra .4mhz outta this CPU, it's not going to solve my problem..

What I am getting from this thread is that an increase in RDRAM would be the solution I am looking for...

Would you concur??

EQ

Banned
    Thanks
    Check prices but with 512MB DDR400 PC3200 being faster and better for £60odd you may want to consider selling the mobo+CPU+RDRAM and get yourself a NW CPU, DDR400-PC3200 (or better) and any of ... i845 (usually top o/c'er) or Granite Bay (good o/c and has Dual Channel). With so many people wanting 800FSB CPUs (inc HT) and 865/875 chipsets you may find great deals 2nd hand for the above. Your PC's perf should be much better and tweaking BIOS and drivers should bear fruit ... but is it worth the time or hassle?

EQX
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Check prices but with 512MB DDR400 PC3200 being faster and better for £60odd you may want to consider selling the mobo+CPU+RDRAM and get yourself a NW CPU, DDR400-PC3200 (or better) and any of ... i845 (usually top o/c'er) or Granite Bay (good o/c and has Dual Channel). With so many people wanting 800FSB CPUs (inc HT) and 865/875 chipsets you may find great deals 2nd hand for the above. Your PC's perf should be much better and tweaking BIOS and drivers should bear fruit ... but is it worth the time or hassle?
    I usually have the worst luck selling hardware.. I find it's better simply to put the old on my LAN and let the kids have it and then add the new...

Your advice is sound.. Much obliged...

Thanks
    Abit IS7 - $100
    2.4C or 2.6C - $175
    512MB of good PC3200 - $100

reuse HD, case, videocard, etc.... new core system $375 for a top performing 3Ghz+(OC'd) machine with dual channel DDR and you shouldnt even have to reformat. (at least I dont think you would) May want to back up & prepare just in case. But going from an 850 to 865 you should be ok.

Thread Information