Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is SLI/Crossfire good for anything ELSE (other than graphics)?

Thanks

Is SLI/Crossfire good for anything ELSE (other than graphics)?

Is the second PCI-express graphics slot good for anything else? (Other than a second graphics card?)

1) Will manufacturers be making useful PCI-express cards (8 or 16 lane?) that do other things? (Other than graphics?)

2) Would such cards work in the second slot of a SLI or Crossfire motherboard? Or is the second slot devoted solely to graphics on SLI/Crossfire?

Or to put it differently, if we get an SLI/Crossfire mobo now, and never use the second graphics slot, will the second slot be good for something else? (In that event, should one avoid an SLI/Crossfire mobo in the first place, and instead buy a board that offers other advantages, like more PCI slots?)

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 850 Pro (OS), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo (Games), various other SSD/HDD (storage, work)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Something Something 800W-ish
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 x64 (fun!), Win2012 R2 (work)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Artic_Kid
    Is the second PCI-express graphics slot good for anything else? (Other than a second graphics card?)

1) Will manufacturers be making useful PCI-express cards (8 or 16 lane?) that do other things? (Other than graphics?)

2) Would such cards work in the second slot of a SLI or Crossfire motherboard? Or is the second slot devoted solely to graphics on SLI/Crossfire?

Or to put it differently, if we get an SLI/Crossfire mobo now, and never use the second graphics slot, will the second slot be good for something else? (In that event, should one avoid an SLI/Crossfire mobo in the first place, and instead buy a board that offers other advantages, like more PCI slots?)
    Eventually, I'm sure PCI slots will go the way of AGP, ISA etc. At the mo though, the only things that will use the extra bandwidth are going to be graphics cards (4GB/sec fibre channel cards notwithstanding ). Physics cards might eventually maybe?

If you've got a bunch of PCI cards you're going to want to continue to use, you might be better off with a non-SLI/Crossfire board I suppose. I only have a PCI soundcard now though - everything else I used to have is on the motherboard

Thanks
    you can use the 8x pci-e slot for 1x pci-e cards afaik

pci will be around for a while

Creative said they wont be making X-fi in pci-e becuase apparently the way the data is transfered with pci-e doesnt work very well for sounds cards

Thanks
    "Last week we published our review of the SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality soundcard from Creative Labs. One of the questions that remained to be answered was why Creative decide to go for a PCI only based soundcard, we found out that in the near future there will not be a PCI-Express version of the sound card. Steve Erickson, vice president for Creative's audio products was kind enough to answer this particular question specifically, here's his take:

As far as PCI Express (PCIe) is concerned, which is the next bus, what we found is that the performance of PCIe is truly bad for audio. We are seeing four times degradation on the bus for audio.

PCIe is designed for graphics and high data transfer, but audio sends very small packets and the overhead can be very big! Moving the data across PCIe is much, much higher than PCI. So what we have to do is go back to the drawing board and work on the transport part of the chip and re-design it to add more silicon to overcome some of the problems we had with PCIe. So for us to come up with a PCIe solution is going to take a while because we have to overcome the problems we're facing with that bus."

from guru3d.com

Thanks
    i think you can get gigabit ethernet cards for pci-e can't you? I also remember ATI were bringing a pci-e version of their theatre 550 tv tuner out, was that canned?

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    1. AFAIK, PCI-E X16, the PCI-E slot used in SLi/Crossfire is dedicated for graphic, very very unlikely that anything will be put there. PCI-E X1 (shorter one) are meant to replace PCI for other cards.

2.Look above.
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Thanks
    It sounds like Creative is having trouble getting their X-Fi audio technology to work across a PCI-express bus with one lane, but perhaps it might work with 4, 8, or 16 lanes. ??? So perhaps Creative might still make such a board.

Part of my question, however, is whether the second graphics slot of a SLI/Crossfire mobo can work (even in principle) for anything other than a graphics card? Or are both slots dedicated, for now and ever more, for only graphics cards? If the second slot is free for use as something else, then I suspect that manufacturers will eventually make use of that fact, and start making cards for it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    It sounds like Creative is having trouble getting their X-Fi audio technology to work across a PCI-express bus with one lane, but perhaps it might work with 4, 8, or 16 lanes. ??? So perhaps Creative might still make such a board.
    Their problems are not related to the number of lanes, they are having problems with the latency of the bus. Adding more lanes won't help that (it may even make it worse).

Thanks
    I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the new physics co processors out soon are pci express arent they? or am i being a noob? :0)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineCommando
    I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the new physics co processors out soon are pci express arent they? or am i being a noob? :0)

Are they really coming out? If they do, will they not be a flop?

Now that dual-core is becoming standard, I fail too see how physics CPUs will take off.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    There may be PPU's for PCI-E soon....hopefully
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Areca have PCIe8X SATA-RAID controllers

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis
    Are they really coming out? If they do, will they not be a flop?

Now that dual-core is becoming standard, I fail too see how physics CPUs will take off.
    Nvidia have hinted that their graphics cards are programmable enough to cope with physics processing. There are certainly people out there doing audio effects crunching with graphics cards already.

Perhaps in future I can buy a new graphics card for graphics, and pension my 6600GT off for physics processing!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    Part of my question, however, is whether the second graphics slot of a SLI/Crossfire mobo can work (even in principle) for anything other than a graphics card? Or are both slots dedicated, for now and ever more, for only graphics cards? If the second slot is free for use as something else, then I suspect that manufacturers will eventually make use of that fact, and start making cards for it. Any thoughts?
    I don't believe anything is dedicated...

I am sure I have read somewhere of using the second SLI slot for IO controllers (though I will never find the reference).

ASUS make a board with a x4 socket that can accept a second graphics card for multi-head graphics use. I'm sure Nvidia never intended that.

Matrox make a x1 video card for the same market, so even a single channel can handle video.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix
    There are certainly people out there doing audio effects crunching with graphics cards already.
    Really? Any links on this (just curious)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    I imagine PCIe x16 slots are generic enough to take on non-graphcis roles, but I couldn't perceive a device that actually needs it. I don't hold much stock in SLi/Crossfire, double the money for less than 50% gains isn't exactly my idea of money well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information