Thread: Please someone help me!!!

Thanks

Unhappy Please someone help me!!!

Ok I need peoples help. I have this problem where every time i try to play a game on my comp it crashes. The sound gets stuck in a loop of like 1/10 of a second and nothin happens it completely locks up.

Someone please tell me why this is and how i can resolve it.

Cheers Guys n gals

You have been warned!!

Thanks
    This happened to me a lot. I tried using different ide cables for my hard drive, and that seemed to solve the problem.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Banned
    Thanks
    Could be MANY things. Is it just when you game? Have you tried stressing each component to check for instability? It's most likely problems from residual drivers, did you fully remove any old drivers (esp gfx) before installing your current ones. A fresh OS install is best esp if you make any significant hw changes. Lots of things you need to rule out here ...

Thanks
    I would suggest installing new drivers (if available) for both motherboard, then gfx card.

If you post one or two machine specs, we may be able to help out with links on where to get these from

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    what game is it you are playing? i had this problem with just 1 game (splinter cell) but no others
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    Actually on my carpy comp upstairs it happens to all games on the downstairs comp it only happens on CS

Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.54 GHz
    512Mb DDR RAM
    Mobo = Gigabyte K7 Triton 400 series 7VAXP Ultra

Does that help or do you want more?

This is the downstairs comp. The comp upstairs is a little 1.3 Athlon CPU in an oldskool Gigabyte which i cant remember the name of
    Last edited by Colonel Ames; 03-11-2003 at 03:50 PM.

You have been warned!!

Thanks
    • Barry's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Avexir 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 860 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 3D 500GB, LG BR Writer
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Evga GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750I
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Acer UHD 4K2K
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre
    Sounds like graphics drivers in a infinite loop to me
    Someone left a note on a piece of cake in the fridge that said, "Do not eat!". I ate the cake and left a note saying, "Yuck, who the hell eats paper ?

Banned
    Thanks
    Well if it is Infy Loop here's my usual spin on how to solve it ...

First try to ensure any probs are not down to faulty hw, sw, corruption, viruses etc. Having the latest OFFICIAL drivers and BIOS' is always a good idea (be sure to check manu and chipset websites). Esp the latest VIA 4in1 drivers since you use a VIA chipset, the VIA PCI Latency Patch is a very useful thing to download and install too if you use a VIA chipset prior to KT400 (more precisely 8235 south) as KT400+ were supposed to have addressed this issue. http://www.georgebreese.com/net/soft...s/faqvl019.htm

Check your BIOS settings, disabling 'PCI Master Read Cache' is VERY wise as it kills your L2 cache to give the PCI < a 1% boost! Esp bad for Celerons and Durons. Other settings that may help but which will effect perf a little are RAM Latency settings (make them higher), Bank Interleave (try diff settings esp DIS) or even lowering the clock speed of your RAM (sync is usually best esp when t.shooting).

Enabling IRQ for VGA/AGP and setting AGP Aperture to 64MB can also help. Setting AGP1x or AGP2x (ie disabling AGP4x in BIOS) OR setting AGP8x back to AGP4x will hit perf, but not as badly as it sounds at all. The gfx card will continue to run at full speed it just limits the speed out of the AGP slot, not too bad at all esp in the short term. You may even want to disable AGP altogether and run in PCI mode just to rule that out.

Ensure you have reinstalled DX8.1/9, esp if you're running an older OS. I forget precisely what this helps with but you could try to run DXDIAG, go to Display Tab, DISABLE Direct3D Accel & CLOSE the app. RERUN DXDIAG & ENABLE Direct3D Accel then click the TEST button.

Leave the PCI slot next to the AGP empty, maybe try swapping your PCI devices through different slots or temp removing them (inc disabling o/b stuff). IMHO it's no bad thing to have the PCI blanking plates at the back removed for ventilation so don't be overly concerned if you need to remove some of the plates to try diff slots.

You could try disabling 'PnP OS' from the BIOS if you're using WinXP, apparently WinXP likes to do things itself. On any OS perhaps try setting PnP or reserving resources manually or resetting the PnP. If you do change any BIOS settings, do keep a note so they can be changed back if it doesn't help.

Try downloading NVMax. It has the infinite loop fix and other things for nVidia cards.
    http://www.nvmax.com/
    http://www.charnleys.co.uk/NVmax4.exe
    http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/12/1/12-1-8.shtml

Finally try different driver versions, with some nVidia cards older drivers like 21.83, 23.11, 27.xx, 29.xx can help although they are pretty old now. Maybe try Dets 44 or something?

Thanks
    hi

if you go to (windows update) that might pick out some old drivers and update them for you

then if you close or exit ALL running programs that you do not need to run the game ( if you look at the bottom right of the task bar that should give you a idea of how many programs you have running)

it might be that a program is using all or a very big proportion of your resources then when you start a game CRASH

failing that try defagmentering your hard drive

lol looks like i was to late with my help stick to the one above

Banned
    Thanks
    Yep it's wellworth checking Resource levels if you are using an older Win9x OS.

Thanks
    Ok 2 things I recently wiped the harddrive and reinstalled everything (due to to many worthless things on there )

My OS is XP Pro and i saved all the recent updates to disc.

secondly im running an ATI Radeon 9500 pro with its latest XP driver update.

so its not a nVidia prob. or a driver prob.

however, This does explain a lot for my upstairs comp which is running XP and a crapy GeForce 4 Mx440

i no, i no its s**t but a mate gave it to me so..........

Cheers peeps I'll get back to you with any results.

Thanx a lot

You have been warned!!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Colonel Ames
    so its not a nVidia prob. or a driver prob.
    Ooh, its ATI so cant be a driver problem?

Unfortunately "with its latest XP driver update" doesnt cut it. You need to download separately the latest mobo drivers and install them and also the latest gfx card drivers.

Here is a linky on a forum thread discussing why you shouldnt ignore mobo drivers
    {I found it whilst searching for this - Via 4 in 1 driver download}

Banned
    Thanks
    You can have problems with ATI cards and drivers of course but it is the nVidia ones which are usually more aggressive. It's certainly hugely more common to get the Infinite Lopp Bug with the combination of VIA mobo chipset and nVidia gfx card but not exclusively so. I would suggest the latest drivers, usually the generic ones from the chipset manu are best (eg ATI's CATs and VIA's 4in1).

Thanks
    Guys you missunderstood.

I didn't mean that because its an ATI card its invinsible. Im not that dumb. all i ment was i have all the latsest drivers for both mobo and GFX.

N e ways it seems to have worked it's self out so......

Cheers for your help every one.

You have been warned!!

Thread Information