Thread: DVD drives - any peeps bought one recently?

Thanks

DVD drives - any peeps bought one recently?

[A repost of a similar thread I made on OCUK]

I'm finding it a bit tricky assessing the level of software that comes with the retail packages supplied. OCUK arnt the only retailer to skip detailing this information on the drives they supply - the 'full tech' links that are sometimes given, usually arnt much help + reviews on the net dont bother discussing this either.

I've currently got Nero 5.5 supplied with an old lite-on drive bought from OCUK a couple of years back. But my understanding is that it must see a lite-on CD RW drive installed when it scans the IDE bus during operation - or does it only check during installation?

I dont currently have any (legal) DVD playback software for my computer. So basically I'm after a good drive with retail packaging.

As best I can find out the Pioner A06 comes with:
    Nero Express; Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2, DVD PictureShow 2, VideoStudio 7
    My burning needs arnt great - how do people find nero express? The DVD picture show software? - can I just use some other playback software like DVD genie once this is installed?

The lite-on drive - cant find much info on what software it bundles. Also there are allot of negative comments on the lite-on drive - yet no one *ever* actually gives any reasons for this?

I'm also looking at the LG DVD drive [not sold by ocuk] which is bundled with PowerDVD, but what is neoDVD like to burn with?

Any feedback from any peeps used to using nero 5, but then buying retail DVD writer packages would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks
    i use nero with my pioneer 4x dvd-rw (OEM drive). id recommend either pioneer 105/106 or the NEC drive, which is suppost to be good.
    if you have nero with OEM licence it wil only work with that drive *i think*
    i haent used any of that other soft but i expect its all a bit crap...

you could email ocuk and ask... also www.blankdiscshop.co.uk have good decriptions and is where i got my drive, and at a considerably cheaper price than i should have

Thanks
    Aye, I'ed like to keep using Nero aswell, but I'm seeing prices of £45 for Nero 6 which is too much for DVD copying software regardless of how good it is imho.

I'm assuming that I could just keep my liton drive in the same machine and keep using Nero 5.5? However I'ed like to give my Lite-on write to someone I know who needs it so I kinda need new bundled software

dgr
    Thanks
    look:

dvd writing - the only software you need is a version of nero 5. you can download the latest version from the web. as long as you have a cd key you are set for life. ignore nero6, its aweful. later versions of nero5 (e.g.5.5.xxxx) support dvd writing on almost any dvd writer.

dvd player - sites like bigpockets and blankdiscshop.co.uk sell power dvd for £3. easy.

dvd ripping / movie authoring - check out the sites:

http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/sh...hreadid=254429

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/usergu...php#dvd5ordvd9

they tell oyu how to do it using FREEWARE tools and nero.

simple. you can do the lot for under £15. so why pay god knows for a retail package? an oem version of the pioneer 106 or the sony u10 is around £100.

sheesh.

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

dgr
    Thanks
    oh btw trickle:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acata..._Console_.html

they have nero6 for £5. quite a bit less than £45.

but do please try to get nero5.5, its SO much better.

(btw not trying to sound rude in these posts).

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    Theres two versions of OEM Nero - the ones tied to drives, and the ones that are basically the retail version, sans manual/box/etc. I believe the one blankdiscshop are offering is the unlocked version.

Nero6 is much, much better than 5.5 - and at £5 a copy - why not?
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Just don't get a Sony drive, that's all the advice I can offer
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Originally posted by dgr

sheesh.
    My copy of Nero doesnt have a cd key - it came with the lite-on CD drive and aparently needs it

I've got a haxored copy of Power DVD - which which has only really been used when I've used its codec for VCD creation.

I figured I'ed go legal, is all

Edit: nm
    Last edited by Trickle; 11-11-2003 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the links DGR.

I've got alot of info off sites like Club CD freaks, I just figured I'ed ask for advice on my usual forum as discussion about bundled software also seemed a little below them too

CD coppying and so on is an area I'll admit to knowing little about

Edit 59: I didnt realise that the OEM nero software was sooo cheap! I'ed only checked places like Amazon/Dabs etc who were just doing the rip off retail version.

Obviously I knew it was for manufacturers bundling software... but... also - if its this cheap, then why do only a small % of the DVD retail packs on offer do nero 6?

- presumably the other software packages must be costing them as little as a quid a piece?
    Last edited by Trickle; 11-11-2003 at 12:27 AM.

Thread Information