Thread: Abit NF7-S front + back audio

Thanks

Abit NF7-S front + back audio

Hi,

Having recently purchased an NF7-S motherboard, I'm trying to establish if it can do the following:

1. Output front audio (stereo headphone jack) to a case with a front mounted jack.
    2. Allow connection to a front mounted mic.
    3. Allow the above to be connected and operational at the same time as the rear audio (not necessarily simultaneously).

The answers to the above will help me decide if I can utilise a Coolermaster Centurion case which has front mounted headphone and mic jacks.

Many thanks.

Rich

Thanks
    u can.
    theres a few ways to do it, theres a mobo header on the mobo for the speakers, and the mic, i think but ull have to read the manual for that, cos i cba to explain it. (speakers + headphones woulnt work at same time this way, and it was too fiddly so i cba and done it the silmpler way.)

the way i do it is have a splitter plugged in at the back for speakers + headphones and have the mic pluged in on its own at the back. then a longish cable takes these to the front where they plug in... splitter costs about £1.50... and u can do this with any sound card/onboard sound

dpm
    Thanks
    FunkyT - I've got the Abit MediaXP front expansion port - it plugs on to the MB audio/firewire and USB headers to give you front headphone / microphone and optical out sockets, as well as 2 USB, 1 Firewire and CF/SD/ Memorystick sockets.

Sadly I got the non-pro version, so it doesn't have a remote control

Its a pretty nifty piece of kit - especially for the front optical out to my minidisc, even if it is an ugly beige colour.

anyway, the MB connectors are standard, so, as silentdeath says, you could use the case front audio jacks (which presumably will come with cables). Also, I'm pretty sure I've had the headphones and speakers running simultaneously, so thats ok too.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply dpm.

Out of interest, which case are you using this board with?

Thanks
    When you say you can't have the headphones and speakers running simultaneously when the front ports are connected via the onboard headers, i assume you mean because you have to remove the jumpers which connect the headers to output to the speaker ports. I don't know about this specific motherboard or case, but with my MSI Nforce 2 board, and Casetek case, there are connectors on the front port leads, and headers on the mobo, so that the signal can be outputed back to the mobo, and to the speaker ports, as normal (Just as if the headers were connected by the original jumpers)
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    if they were connected like that, then wouldnt it just short the headphones, i did think of doing that a while ago but i sorta worked out it wouldnt work, though i might be worng? anyway i find the splitter at the back is best, and it doesnt get in the way of the pci bracket i had there like the mobo header would if i used it.

Thanks
    LONG time ago now, but just stumbled across this thread again and, no. It didnt short the headphones, they both were fully functional, in fact, you could even use the headphone port as a line for playing from an mp3 player etc, as anything you input into the headphone port would be output on the speaker !! genius!
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thread Information