Thread: trying to work out where I can find a bargain...

Thanks

trying to work out where I can find a bargain...

hey all,
    my current machine is busy doing server-y type things, and am desperate to play a few games -
    just want to build a cheap machine up from parts, but really want a supplier who'll do a little package. OcUK isn't cheap, so would rather someone who scan supply a generic micro tower, and a well specc'd amd cpu, board and gfx card with some mem.
    Doesn't need to be incredibly high end - just something that will survive a bit of battering.

Any ideas?

Scotty

Thanks
    I know its not what your asking but have you thought about going down the route of a shuttle?

cheap with good performance and if you did decide to build yourself a proper main rig the would settle in being a media player/server etc nicely

Cyber whore
    Thanks
    • bouncin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit an8 32x
      • CPU:
      • x2 4400 @2.7
      • Memory:
      • 2gb ocz el platinum
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 74 gb raptors raid 0 1 x 250 gbcaviar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward bliss 7950gx2
      • PSU:
      • ocx powerstream 600w
      • Case:
      • Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung LE40A565
      • Internet:
      • 20MB virgin media
    barton 2500
    abit nf7 non /s
    2x256 pc3200 generic
    cheiftec dragon
    80 gb maxtor dmp 9

and u can find everythin else for a few quid on the net or at fairs and the lot above only around £250 i reckon alltogether without o/s about £350

ill leave gfx card as i dont know what sort of performance ur after u can pick up a second hand ti for about £65 (which in my opinion is good enough)

Banned
    Thanks
    I'd also rec Shuttle. Anyway for gfx card don't settle for less than a Rad9600PRO or if that's a little pricey look for a GF4TI (even 4200) as that's about as fast in pure 3D only really lacking DX9 and top AA+AF. FX are pretty awful, GF4MX are dire, Rad9000-9200 are worse than the FX5200. The FX5600 and Rad9600 (non PRO) are slower than a GF4TI4200.

Thanks
    yeah you're right - I don't really need a huge case - as I'll only have a single 120gb drive in there - and a dvd-cdrw will prolly do the job.
    Maplin were doing a pretty good deal over the weekend for mobo processor (2600) and heatsink for £149, but won't fit in my case!

Will have a look around tottenham ct road today and see what there is on offer!

Thanks guys.

Banned
    Thanks
    Maplin are great but their PC bundles really suck. Over-priced (even with the 'special') and quality is quite poor. ASrock are okay (much like ECS) while the HSF tend to be bog std, probably noisy and inefficient (but up to the job minus o/c'ing). Have a look at what bundle you can get outside of any offers for under £150...

www.dabs.com
    £68 XP2500+ Barton (should o/c to around XP3200+)
    £15 Volcano 11+ (good HS with intelligent and adjustable fan)
    £37 BioStar nForce2 400
    TOTAL £120

Total could be as low as £96 still keeping the Volcano11+ as you should get around XP3000+ speed out of the £44 XP1900+ or XP2000+ as they should be TbredB (TbredB is not guaranteed though). For the full £150 you could either add in 256MB PC3200 or upgrade the CPU to an XP2700+. You'd find it a similar story looking at other stores such as www.komplett.co.uk or www.cpucity (guarantee TbredB with codes ending in B like JUIHB).

EDIT: Here's the Maplin bundles ...

BUNDLE1
    £60 XP2000+
    £22 Akasa AK824cu
    £60 ASRock K7VT2 KT266A (266FSB PC2100)
    TOTAL £142 but SPECIAL for all 3 you pay £100 (save £42)

BUNDLE2
    £130 XP2600+
    £22 Akasa AK824cu
    £90 XFX NF24-ALH nForce2
    TOTAL £242 but SPECIAL for all 3 you pay £150 (save £92)

Okay so the cooler isn't as bad as I thought (or it once was) and the 2nd bundle now comes with nForce2 (it used to be ASrock KT400 IIRC). Still compare the prices and the SPECIAL is not special at all.
    Last edited by Austin; 10-11-2003 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    LOL true - went in to see one of my old contacts today, and he was retailing the barton 2500 at much less than anyone else on tottenham ct road!

he's only 8 quid more expensive than ebuyer so might have a look around there and see what I can come up with - thanks for all of this guys -
    Now I've just got to get this done before my g/f gets back from holiday! *grin*

Thanks
    I say eBuyer all the way!!!!!

its nice and cheap, and you dont have to leave the house to get it.... although you do have to wait to have it delivered/.

Thread Information