Thread: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe & XP

Thanks

Question ASUS A7N8X Deluxe & XP

After making "some" upgrades to my system:
    - Motherboard: Asus A7N8X deluxe
    - AMD XP2800+
    - 512MB Corsair PC3200 RAM

Win XP wouldn't reboot, I had to repair it using the install CD which ran for a while and replaced "damaged" files on my computer. I have been able to us it for a few days but suddenly I couldn't reboot. I had to reinstall XP and when it prompted me to select the install partition, this one was empty ! The other partitions on which I have my data were still fine.

I completed the install, worked for a while, rebooted several times but the next day couldn't reboot, same symptom :-(

My HDD (Western Digital 175GB) was fine with my previous motherboard. I was thinking to an ATA compatibility pb. but in this case, I guess that the entire drive should be in trouble, not only the system partition.

The mobo is at the latest bios level (1007), I also upgraded the HDD firmware.

If someone has an idea...Thanks a lot.
    Chris.

Note: Please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum and please tell me were to go, Thanks.

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    Some ppl say do a hd format when upgrading especially motherboard because u often get problems like this.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Thanks
    Korky,

I did a format but only of the primary partition, you think I should re-partition the drive and reformat every partitions...I thought about it but didn't do it yet...

Chris.

Thanks
    I dont think reformatting partitions which have nothing to do with the Windows partition is going to help, just format the windows partition and do a freash install. If you are saying thats what you have done and its not working, then you are going to have to give us more details.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    Yes I did a format.
    A few more details:
    When I had to re-install the system, I formatted the system partition, NTFS (when typing I realize that everytime I did a quick format, perhaps not the best idea!)
    I then re-installed XP Pro:
    + the available security and system updates (not the SP1 because it doesn't install on my OEM version of XP).
    + Latest Asus drivers for nForce chip (audio, Lan,USB,...)
    + Latest Nvidia driver for my graphic card

Then installed the applis, Office XP, Nero 6.0.0.15 (+ 6.0.0.19 update), printer,...

Everytime I installed something new, I rebooted and the system rebooted with no pb.
    When the pb. occured, it was not after a new install but once after a proper shutdown, another time I got a "Winlogon..." error msg, I clicked OK, the system automatically rebooted but never restarted...Msg: "Cannot read data on drive" or something like that (this was the 1st time I got this msg.)

Chris.

Thanks
    [You have virus scanned the other partitions? - its probably not this so dont think I'm trying to scaremonger!]

I would be tempted to put a different OS on it to see how it fares.

You say you only quick formatted... tbh if there is a probablem with data integrity on the HD: you may actually have to reformat and repartition the whole lot to make it happy again. However I would *seriously* suggest testing the system with another HD: before doing that. Perhpas just try a proper format before reinstalling XP for now?

Edit: get a memtest done on the system with your new mobo and mem. If its not writing data to the HD properly then it could get unhappy.

(not the SP1 because it doesn't install on my OEM version of XP)
    Edit2: erm, if it installs on the new board cant you just change the key or does the patch physically know that its an oem version regardless of key?
    Last edited by Trickle; 04-11-2003 at 11:32 AM.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    SP1 should work on any version of XP regardless of whether it's an oem or retail pack..

Say, your key doesn't begin with FCKGW does it?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I ran the anti virus -> No pb.

XP key: yes it starts with "FCKGW", what is the matter ? Is there a workaround ?

I wanted to install SP1 because it seems to fix many pbs including the Atapi.sys driver to support 48bit addressing on large drives. My version can see my large drive anyway, but wanted to take every chances...
    I could perhaps just copy Atapi.sys from another up to date system but will still miss the rest of the updates.

dgr
    Thanks
    it could well be a dodgy hard disc. windows really stresses the RAM and HDD when you install it and any errors here will surface.

try another hdd.
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    I'm an ASUS fan and build machines for friends based on them usually. I recently recommended an Asus A7N8X deluxe to one such friend and he had no end of problems. He returned to the shop who informed him they'd had a number of returns with the same problem. It was returned to ASUS who replaced the board complete without question. The machine now runs fine.
    While I'm not saying this is your problem I'd have a good look around and see if you find other similar stories which can give you more detail on exact failures.

Good luck getting to the bottom of your problem!
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    Originally posted by coli
    XP key: yes it starts with "FCKGW", what is the matter ? Is there a workaround ?
    So its not really the OEM version?
    I did think that OEM's would allow SP1 install - its just the re-registering that MS wouldnt do. It sounds like you need a key changer utility... or a legal version

Thanks
    OK, now I am really "toasted" :-(

Initially my system/boot partition (were XP is installed) was crashing, 30 minutes ago I noticed corrupted files on my NTFS data partition (the FAT32 was still fine). I had to reboot after installing an appli., XP rebooted but my data partitions D & E were gone, empty, unallocated...
    I am now re-partitionning and slow formating the drive, hopefully I will be able to reload a Ghost image to my drive and "save sometime".
    I ran Lifeguard diagnostics yesterday (extended tests) and nothing was wrong. I guess that if the MBR was messed up Lifeguard would have found it.

Vimeous,
    You mention a potential motherboard pb., I thought about it but didn't want to believe it. Where do you recommend to look for info, I didn't find anything yet but I am not a "forum guru".

XP Key:
    Then my version is not really an OEM,..., you said "key changer", I like these words ;-)

Format 92% complete...Good night and thx a lot guys.

Chris.

Thanks
    A week later...
    Pb. fixed,..., I hope, I haven't reinstalled for a week ;-)

It seems that my problems were due to XP which cannot handle a FAT32 partition if they are larger than 32GB and it probably messed up partitions table.
    Before installing XP (on my old mobo) I used Partition Magic to resize my partitions, I then created 3 partitions on my 175GB HDD, 2 NTFS and one 60GB FAT32. I installed XP and it worked fine until I replaced the board !
    I still don't understand how it worked because of XP limitation mentionned before plus de fact that XP without XP1 cannot manage HDD > than 137GB.

I then re-partitionned my drive and reinstalled XP + SP1 and now it is working.

Chris.

Thread Information