Thread: Is my Motherboard / CPU Dead?

Registered+
    Thanks

Is my Motherboard / CPU Dead?

Hi, bit of a predicament,

I overclocked my PC this afternoon, from 2500+ stock speeds, to 3200+ speeds (1.75v)

It booted into windows xp, and then bluescreened, i switched off, and when i came to switching on again, all I got, was a constant beep, no power lights, no fans / HDDs / CD-ROM spinning up, simple

Duuurrr Buuurrr, Duuurrr Buuurrr, Duuurrr Buuurrr, Duuurrr Buuurrr, Duuurrr Buuurrr, Duuurrr Buuurrr

I've tried:
    Resetting CMOS jumper

Took out battery, and did CMOS jumper

Took out all connections, and did CMOS jumper

nothing

Please help, or just try and suggest what's dead?

Cheers

PC Spe:
    xp2500+
    Corsair xms 3200 ddr (512mb)
    Abit NF7 v2.0 Motherboard
    Globalwin 420w PSU

Thanks
    It's hard to believe you could kill your mobo just by overclocking it. Try unpluging your computer from the wall. Then double check all your conections. If that doesn't work, take out everything but the bare essentials and try powering on, if that works, slowly start adding stuff back in. Hope this helps.

No-Name - The Name That You Can Trust

Banned
    Thanks
    Not to assume anything but you didn't just stick 1.75v core voltage and up the speed from 1.8ghz (XP2500+) to 2.2ghz 400FSB (XP3200+) ... right?

The only time when o/c'ing is truly risky is when you do stuff like that. You should use SMALL STEPS and test each time, ALWAYS leave voltage stock until you experience instability and THEN if you're sure your cooling is up to it step up the voltage 0.05v at a time. Then once again take small steps and test each time. When you find your max o/c STEP BACK a bit and if it needed extra voltage consider if the added strain and heat produced are worth the extra speed it got you ... best to benchmark and see the actual perf diff. If you did take a big jump then expect something to fry ... your mobo and CPU are the most likely things to be killed everything should be okay UNLESS it over stressed your PSU in which case everything could have been destroyed. I hope none of this is relevant to you ...
    Last edited by Austin; 07-11-2003 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks
    so this was the 1st time you booted that high??? you coulda killed the CPU, maybe fried it?

Like Austin said.... did you move up gradually and moniter temps, stability, etc.? Or just go gung ho? Its on thing to go gung ho (with default voltage), its another with voltage upped over 1.7 and just cranking up.

Registered+
    Thanks
    well, looks like it's my own doing then, hope it's just the CPU whats dead...

Thing is, i'd had stability problems at stock, thru to 1.7, the system would just reset when @ 11 * 200, but yes, it was one jump from stock to 1.75

*Update*

Just remembered, don't know how this will affect, But when I first tried to OC, the bios settings were written, and then the restart failed.

I then, went into the system, and noticed that the memory ratio was on 6/5, meaning it’s bus speed was on 480, not 400

I can’t see how this could cause a problem, as it did not update properly when rebooting, so all the settings were put to default

*Update2*

I have now tested a different CPU, PSU, and graphics card in the PC, and still the same beepint... making me believe the motherboard or memory is dead
    Last edited by DaveyD; 07-11-2003 at 03:16 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Bump

Banned
    Thanks
    It could be multiple dead things but from what you've done it would seem to point to either the mobo or RAM. I think you get a different set of beeps if the RAM is faulty so a mobo problem is likely.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I think what I'll do, is take out CPU and RAM, and take them to work.

mate at work also has an NF7 2.0, so i'll kindly ask him to test my CPU and RAM in his

Registered+
    Thanks
    Update:

Okay, the CPU has been tested in a different motherboard, that is fine
    The Memory has been tested in a different motherboard, that is fine
    The PSU has been tested on a different motherboard, the voltages monitored, to make sure they're correct, that's fine

It seems, from help and info i've found from people, that my bios is screwed, and the OC most likeley didn't cause it, (The PC had been messing me around before then with bios settings), so it jus might have had enough

Thanks
    the die hard/dual bios on giga & albatron might have kept it from happening

Banned
    Thanks
    Well it would certainly point to your mobo as the culprit, whether it's a BIOS or internal fault. It would be worth trying to flash a BIOS or two before you write it off. If you need a cheap replacement www.dabs.com do a Single Channel nForce2 400 ... so 5% slower than the top nForce2 but it's only £37. Obviously it's unlikely to o/c quite as well, possess MCP-T, SATA etc but still for a cheap replacement ...

Dabs Quicklinx:
    2Q7LWS
    2TB8WS
    2VGJWS
    Last edited by Austin; 12-11-2003 at 02:43 AM.

Thread Information